Josh Norman released

BillsMafi$

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Here will be the new No2 CB, on a short term deal as he gets back in the scheme that made him alot of money

In a heavy man Scheme. 

He will excel back in that scheme he should have never left.  and it isnt going to be big money.

If its incentive-laden and low guarantee then it truly doesn't matter.  If he doesn't play well they can just cut him.  

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

If its incentive-laden and low guarantee then it truly doesn't matter.  If he doesn't play well they can just cut him.  

That is what it will be, a 1 year small contract that he could make more on incentives.  

Norman, who made his debut in 2012, had several season of elite production when he was with the Carolina Panthers, and was named a first-team All-Pro in 2015. He signed a five-year, $75 million contract with the Redskins before the 2016 season, but unfortunately those elite numbers didn’t follow him to Washington.

Over four seasons with the Redskins he intercepted seven passes and forced eight fumbles, well off the pace of even just his final season with the Panthers, during which he’d  intercepted four passes and returned two for touchdowns. He also had a habit of getting lost in coverage and rode the bench in the late portion of the 2019 season.

The Redskins will save just under $12.5 million in cap space by releasing Norman now, and take a $3 million hit in dead money.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-redskins-release-cb-josh-norman-152141231.html

28 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm surprised ppl aren't higher on Levi. He was apart of a top 5 pass D in back to back seasons , with Tre on the other side . I still love his upside. I hope they grab a CB like KJ or give him an offer. Unless an elite or clear upgrade is available. 

I'm almost more concerned with the slot , I love Taron but his physical play , which I love , has made him injury prone

It’s because Levi struggled for a stretch last season and most posters on this board aren’t ok with the ups and downs that occur week to week or season to season in the NFL. Player has to be an All-Pro consistently or else they’re worthless. 

It’s called being a fan and not having any ability to detach and assess, or evaluate talent. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'd pass. Levi is younger, cheaper, and better. I'd be in favor of bringing K. Johnson back on a 3 year deal. 

Could be interesting as a backup FS for Hyde. He played his best football in a zone defense. I bet the switch to FS would be possible, not easy but possible. There are no good backup options for Hyde on the roster now.

He ranked as Pro Football Focus’ 111th best cornerback in the NFL. Wallace was at 44 while Johnson was at 23. It hasn’t been just this season, either. Per PFF, in his first six seasons, Norman allowed 13 touchdowns. This past season, he’s allowed seven and over the past two, 16 total.

Plus, again, he’s 32, and on top of that, he was released by the Redskins. Who is their head coach? Ron Rivera, who was in Carolina in 2015 as well. Rivera didn’t think he could turn around Norman, even.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/14/redskins-release-josh-norman-buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott/

Edited by HOUSE

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trust me, I’m not losing any sleep over JN.  But I just think given his salary and supposed role in Washington, it would be a much different situation here.  But I’m more than fine with drafting a guy.  In fact, I’m prepared for a 1st round cb to make BillfromNYC lose his mind again! ?

CBs don't age well. We are better off drafting one (not necessarily in the first round). Given Norman's age and his performance he should be a hard pass for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Another player to keep an eye on possibly?

#Redskins are releasing CB Josh Norman, source says. Intriguing situation to watch, as he now has time to find his new team ahead of free agency.

-Mike Garafalo

That’s because zone CB are not worth over 60 mil 5 years. The most I would pay is a 12.5 mil a year average for a zone CB. We will be in the same boat with White when he wants his 85 mil for 5 years

Norman played very well in a system similar to the one we run, but Dan the Fan & Bruce Allen don't understand concepts like scheme fit.

They just saw "good CB" and backed up the Brinks truck for a zone corner only to play him in a man heavy coverage scheme. He didn't suck, but he didn't play up to the level of his contract because he was never that kind of player in the first place.

Carolina thought enough of him to tag him while trying to re-sign him but pulled the tag when it became clear he wasn't going to what they thought he was worth.

No one was more surprised than Norman when the Redskins offered to make him the highest paid CB in the league.

Put back in a scheme that better utilizes his skill set, and at a more reasonable price, he could be a valuable acquisition.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

It’s because Levi struggled for a stretch last season and most posters on this board aren’t ok with the ups and downs that occur week to week or season to season in the NFL. Player has to be an All-Pro consistently or else they’re worthless. 

It’s called being a fan and not having any ability to detach and assess, or evaluate talent. 

I totally agree. Just figured he's only going into year 3 and was an UDFA rookie , so ppl would cut him some slack. Definitely add competition, best man wins 

I mean, I'd actually like to add the best CB available and build on a strength. AJ Bouye if released is interesting. 

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

Levi is free garbage... he's also 24.

I don't  get the Levi is garbage thing.  I mean, if we have one starting CB who is garbage, the other 3 guys in our secondary are absolute studs then.  I think Levi is just unfairly compared to White, who, IMO, is the best CB in the league, along with Hyde/Poyer, who are also fantastic.  

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I totally agree. Just figured he's only going into year 3 and was an UDFA rookie , so ppl would cut him some slack. Definitely add competition, best man wins 

I mean, I'd actually like to add the best CB available and build on a strength. AJ Bouye if released is interesting. 

I think I commented on this in another thread about signing Greg Olsen. Everyone is clamoring to cut Croom/Sweeney/Kroft/Smith if we sign him... why? 

I’d rather just keep 5 TE for camp that have all played meaningful NFL snaps and see what happens in a competition. Your entire team can’t be filled with superstars but if you can get some veteran talent that’s had some success and sprinkle it everywhere it’s never a bad thing. 

We’ve got like 56 players on our roster right now, all of which were part of the organization this past season during our playoff run... so a bunch of guys who know what it takes to win. Only a handful of FA, most of which will be back for cheap + $90M to spend and 9(?) draft picks... why not just stockpile assets and see what happens? 

44 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

id be curious about the advanced metric guys chiming in on if he played any better in certain sets, zone vs man etc... the last two years or just toast at all times 

That was my question too earlier in the thread.

He definitely played zone with McDermott in Carolina, but was he not tasked with playing man in Washington?

Some guys just excel in one and are poor in the other

Edited by DJB

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Levi is garbage. Bring in Norman to compete for the 2 or 3 spot and see how it goes. I'm for re-signing KJ too. Would rather have the 2 of them (Norman/KJ) battling it out than Levi.

Agreed we need to draft one, but might be able to find one in the 4th or 5th.

Ah, Norman is pretty much garbage now and he's old.