Josh Norman released

BillsMafi$

If he's willing to sign a cheap, prove-it deal to COMPETE for a spot because he wants to be reunited with McDermott and rekindle his career, then great. Otherwise, not interested.

I know he's been crap the past two seasons, but I'm willing to bet that being put back into McDermott's system would see a rebound in his quality of play. But again, if he's looking for a big payday of any kind, then the Bills should pass.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, dneveu said:

I mean - what is the league minimum not guaranteed?  Could be a useful camp body, and has a shot at redemption etc.

No.  He's 32 and gets burned consistently.  No effing way.  These kids coming into the league, fast, fast WR's would exploit him.  His technique is poor now.  He is slow, should I continue?

• Like (+1) 2

No thank you, pass. Levi Wallace as an UDFA and the Bills found gold, took T. Johnson in the 4th and he's been good to great at times. Let's continue to find guys who are either young and show promise or in their prime. For the money, I'd take Byron Jones from Dallas if he makes out of the Star. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, klos63 said:

after 4 crappy seasons? Gonna be 33 this season. Don't know why we'd be too interested.

He was signed as shut down cb.  He’s not close to that but could be real solid in a #2 or #3 zone corner role in a defense he excelled in.  Not a huge need but if the price is right, it could be interesting. He could sign a one year, prove it deal that could benefit both parties.  

It would be ok if he actually played well for the last 4 years , but he's been awful and he's 32 now. I'm sure there are much better options out there.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

He was signed as shut down cb.  He’s not close to that but could be real solid in a #2 or #3 zone corner role in a defense he excelled in.  Not a huge need but if the price is right, it could be interesting. He could sign a one year, prove it deal that could benefit both parties.  

What is his value? And based on what?  I mean, camp fodder, sure, but no expectations.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He sucks now, CB.

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

He sucks now, CB.

He might be washed.  But he was in a different role in Washington than he was here.

im really critical of this regime, especially on offense.  But if SM chooses to pursue JN, I will blindly trust his judgment on defensive backs.  He’s excellent in terms of evaluating the position.  And if he doesn’t want to pursue him and just sign/ draft another guy, I’m perfectly find with that as well.

1 hour ago, Halloween Land said:

He'll be a Bill in 7 days.

I'm not so sure of that. 

If Ron Rivera came in, reviewed his body of work in terms of assignments and expectations, and said "bye Felicia!" I think McDermott may view that as a warning.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Just me, but I'd like to see us maintain that shut down D by focusing on player development.  I think we're past the point on D where we need to bring in aging hired guns to plug holes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not so sure of that. 

If Ron Rivera came in, reviewed his body of work in terms of assignments and expectations, and said "bye Felicia!" I think McDermott may view that as a warning.

Just me, but I'd like to see us maintain that shut down D by focusing on player development.  I think we're past the point on D where we need to bring in aging hired guns to plug holes.

Trust me, I’m not losing any sleep over JN.  But I just think given his salary and supposed role in Washington, it would be a much different situation here.  But I’m more than fine with drafting a guy.  In fact, I’m prepared for a 1st round cb to make BillfromNYC lose his mind again! ?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trust me, I’m not losing any sleep over JN.  But I just think given his salary and supposed role in Washington, it would be a much different situation here.  But I’m more than fine with drafting a guy.  In fact, I’m prepared for a 1st round cb to make BillfromNYC lose his mind again! ?

NoooooOOOOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOo!

You're a Bad Man, @C.Biscuit97.  A Very Bad Man.?

By "develop" I had in mind the "pick up younger FA who hasn't worked with his original team due to fit, but we think could be developed in our system" thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Another player to keep an eye on possibly?

#Redskins are releasing CB Josh Norman, source says. Intriguing situation to watch, as he now has time to find his new team ahead of free agency.

-Mike Garafalo

For players like this, I hope and pray the Bills have a talent department that evaluated current player talent level during the season.

This way Beane already knows that Norman is washed up and not to waste any time on him...

We don't need anymore DBs retiring at halftime... :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm surprised ppl aren't higher on Levi. He was apart of a top 5 pass D in back to back seasons , with Tre on the other side . I still love his upside. I hope they grab a CB like KJ or give him an offer. Unless an elite or clear upgrade is available. 

I'm almost more concerned with the slot , I love Taron but his physical play , which I love , has made him injury prone

6 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Norman was absolutely terrible this year, and positively awful last year. 

But he played well 5 years ago.

First time in many years that I have real faith in our management that I don't worry about personnel decisions and generally don't spend much time thinking about them. If there's one thing they understand, it's how to run a defense.

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He might be washed.  But he was in a different role in Washington than he was here.

im really critical of this regime, especially on offense.  But if SM chooses to pursue JN, I will blindly trust his judgment on defensive backs.  He’s excellent in terms of evaluating the position.  And if he doesn’t want to pursue him and just sign/ draft another guy, I’m perfectly find with that as well.

I always think it’s tough for a guy like Norman to play for a small contract unless he’s chasing a ring.  32 years old and made $65M so he’s not going to take a prove it deal.  We made the playoffs so maybe an incentive laden deal would get it done.  If he’s worth it.  I haven’t seen him play in years, but it doesn’t sound like he’s played well.  Maybe it was scheme.  Maybe it was him.  Dunno. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Another player to keep an eye on possibly?

#Redskins are releasing CB Josh Norman, source says. Intriguing situation to watch, as he now has time to find his new team ahead of free agency.

-Mike Garafalo

Here will be the new No2 CB, on a short term deal as he gets back in the scheme that made him alot of money

42 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You crazy?  No way.  He sucks.  Given up 16 touchdowns over the last 2 seasons

In a heavy man Scheme. 

He will excel back in that scheme he should have never left.  and it isnt going to be big money.