Tom Flores HOF snub

stuvian

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Didn't exactly  "win it" as much as it was given to him. Probably the most fraudulent SB in recent memory.

That being said, I wish someone "gave" Marv a SB?

Don't remember a controversy around it it?  What happened?  I see that was 2005, quite awhile back. 

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Don't remember a controversy around it it?  What happened?  I see that was 2005, quite awhile back. 

the winning TD wasn't completely provable on replay either way, another reason not to seek a Utopia through replay.

i was indifferent to the winner of that game and had no problem with it being a TD and it standing

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The one that keeps getting me is Don Coryell. 

It is absurd, ridiculous, downright criminal that Coryell isn't in the Hall of Fame. The modern NFL passing game literally would not exist without him. Just an insane, Tasker-level snub.

You are exactly right.

It shows again that voters for the HOF of "the ultimate team game" put too much emphasis on winning Super Bowls.  Of course that counts for something, but a guy (Coryell) who made a huge mark on this sport is penalized because his teams in St Louis and San Diego were good enough to be in the championship mix for years but never overcame some other good teams like Dallas and Pittsburgh and Miami to get to the top.  Coryell made Dan Fouts, who's in the HOF himself.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the winning TD wasn't completely provable on replay either way, another reason not to seek a Utopia through replay.

i was indifferent to the winner of that game and had no problem with it being a TD and it standing

So a controversial call impacted the outcome of the game?  In other words just a typical game!

10 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So a controversial call impacted the outcome of the game?  In other words just a typical game!

this was one of the rarer ones that was close and came down to a last minute TD drive

seen so many it's a blur now, only a few plays and the Bills 4 SBs are fresh in my memory

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

this was one of the rarer ones that was close and came down to a last minute TD drive

seen so many it's a blur now, only a few plays and the Bills 4 SBs are fresh in my memory

Don't recall much about the game to be honest.

Kind of funny as if you were to ask me what teams played in the 1983 SB I can tell you just about every game.  And honestly I have better reccollections of the games prior to say 1995 than the ones played in the last 10 to 15 years, though I did watch them all.

• Like (+1) 1

Coryell and Flores both deserve to be in and should have been in years ago.

I don't think Cowher is deserving but I can live with it if Flores and Coryell were voted in.

I don't think Levy was worthy of HOF either. I was shocked he got voted in so fast. 

As for Johnson I have no idea why it took this long. Only thing I can think of is the committee may have felt he was going to unretire and come back to coach again.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Don't recall much about the game to be honest.

Kind of funny as if you were to ask me what teams played in the 1983 SB I can tell you just about every game.  And honestly I have better reccollections of the games prior to say 1995 than the ones played in the last 10 to 15 years, though I did watch them all.

my inquisitive pursuits on sports facts has left me perfect for sports from 1920 to around 1986, i doubt i could name much correctly in major sports since then....

i posit that sports was the best when one was 11, which would be 1977 for me.

the sporcle trivia site is good for testing out your memories

the 2nd huge play of that SB was Harrison's pick 6 off Curt Warner for 100 yards as the clock expired in the first half...

Edited by row_33

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

my inquisitive pursuits on sports facts has left me perfect for sports from 1920 to around 1986, i doubt i could name much correctly in major sports since then....

i posit that sports was the best when one was 11, which would be 1977 for me.

the sporcle trivia site is good for testing out your memories

the 2nd huge play of that SB was Harrison's pick 6 off Curt Warner for 100 yards as the clock expired in the first half...

I do remember the pick. I was rooting for Pittsburgh and was watching the clock in the background as knew if he were to get tackled time would expire, not time even for field goal.  Was that the game Hines Ward had a big day or was that in the later SB appearance by Pitt?

34 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I do remember the pick. I was rooting for Pittsburgh and was watching the clock in the background as knew if he were to get tackled time would expire, not time even for field goal.  Was that the game Hines Ward had a big day or was that in the later SB appearance by Pitt?

can't help except with those two plays from that game.... 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Coryell and Flores both deserve to be in and should have been in years ago.

I don't think Cowher is deserving but I can live with it if Flores and Coryell were voted in.

I don't think Levy was worthy of HOF either. I was shocked he got voted in so fast. 

As for Johnson I have no idea why it took this long. Only thing I can think of is the committee may have felt he was going to unretire and come back to coach again.

Levy deserved it. Even though we didn’t win a Super Bowl with him, he’s still a big reason of the Bills success in the 90s

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Tomlin was HC for that one, not Cowher.

Super Bowl XL was Pitt/ Sea

Cowher/ Holmgren

That's the one I'm referring to.

6 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

My uncle, huge Raiders fan, he likes to go to their hotel when they’re in town v. Buffalo, get some pics and all that fan stuff.

Last time they were here him and my cousin were waiting by the elevator, the door opens and Del Rio is the first one out and immediately gives them a dickish brush off “Sorry, no time today”, and my uncle says “Oh we weren’t waiting for you anyways, we’re waiting for three 

time  Superbowl champ Coach Flores”, ha. 

Flores stepped out and chatted with them for a good half hour. 

That's.  Awesome.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Tomlin was HC for that one, not Cowher.

Super Bowl XL was Pitt/ Sea

Cowher/ Holmgren

That's the one I'm referring to.

never understood the whining about that one

i guess the refs ran interference for Parker's great break to the end zone

if i had known how loathsome Seattle would shortly become i would have enjoyed this game a million times more

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

never understood the whining about that one

i guess the refs ran interference for Parker's great break to the end zone

if i had known how loathsome Seattle would shortly become i would have enjoyed this game a million times more

I obviously had no horse in that race but I do recall watching it and thinking, Man this game does not smell right. 

IIRC, the playoff game against the Colts had a similar odor that year as well. 

Seemed like the NFL wanted to send Cowher and Bettis out on a high note.

......worthy?...perhaps......Plunkett?....hmmm....I believe accomplishments is the qualifier (vs race, creed, color, orientation, etc), but in our PC world, thought that these would get him in, whether right, wrong or indifferent....both did have accomplishments in the NFL..........

"Flores was also the first Hispanic starting quarterback and the first minority head coach in professional football history to win a Super Bowl."

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

I obviously had no horse in that race but I do recall watching it and thinking, Man this game does not smell right. 

IIRC, the playoff game against the Colts had a similar odor that year as well. 

Seemed like the NFL wanted to send Cowher and Bettis out on a high note.

always amusing that people scream a game was fixed when their team lost, they then give me the litany of a conspiracy against (pick whatever team)

but when THEIR team wins they CONVENIENTLY FORGET their 10 minute rant on how it's all fixed

and i make a move to never have to be in the same room as this person ever again, if possible

Edited by row_33
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

This is tough as the two winners had fantastic careers, but hard to pass over a coach who won as a player for KC, then as an Assistant to Madden, and then won two in 80 and 83.  Those games weren’t even close.

I hope he gets in before he passes as he is 83, and at that age you just hope he can make it.  

Yep, and he played for Buffalo in 1967 and 1967:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FlorTo00.htm

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

always amusing that people scream a game was fixed when their team lost, they then give me the litany of a conspiracy against (pick whatever team)

but when THEIR team wins they CONVENIENTLY FORGET their 10 minute rant on how it's all fixed

and i make a move to never have to be in the same room as this person ever again, if possible

Lol? Like I said dude, no horse in the race.

But I'm glad they're still fans out there to protect the integrity of the NFL?

But everybody already knows the NFL is on the up and up, right?

You're right in one sense though. When and if ever an egregiously bad call favors the Buffalo Bills that results in a championship outcome, I'll smile and walk away as I bite my tongue.

• Haha (+1) 1