Tom Flores HOF snub

stuvian

This is tough as the two winners had fantastic careers, but hard to pass over a coach who won as a player for KC, then as an Assistant to Madden, and then won two in 80 and 83.  Those games weren’t even close.

I hope he gets in before he passes as he is 83, and at that age you just hope he can make it.  

• Like (+1) 4

Comparing their records, Cowher is much stronger, more total years coaching , twice as many winning seasons, won a SB in his next to last season coaching, both had a losing season streak in the middle and came back to win again, but Flores had a second losing streak, last 4 seasons coaching all had poor records, never won more than 6 games his last 4 years, admittedly was in a rebuilding mode, but never got them over the hump.

Johnson is a bit tougher argument as less seasons coaching, but no losing seasons after his 1st 1-15 record.  But he also did win 2 SB's and also had success with a 2nd team something Flores failed in rather badly.

Flores also suffers from much of the Raiders credit going to Al Davis, particularly prior to free agency Davis had a dynasty for many years.  Flores may have had a better chance of making the HOF if he hadn't come back to Seattle to coach as all were bad years and probably convinced more that it was all Al Davis doing with the Raiders.  It tended to show he could only win when he was handed a very strong team.

The one that keeps getting me is Don Coryell. 

It is absurd, ridiculous, downright criminal that Coryell isn't in the Hall of Fame. The modern NFL passing game literally would not exist without him. Just an insane, Tasker-level snub.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My uncle, huge Raiders fan, he likes to go to their hotel when they’re in town v. Buffalo, get some pics and all that fan stuff.

Last time they were here him and my cousin were waiting by the elevator, the door opens and Del Rio is the first one out and immediately gives them a dickish brush off “Sorry, no time today”, and my uncle says “Oh we weren’t waiting for you anyways, we’re waiting for three 

time  Superbowl champ Coach Flores”, ha. 

Flores stepped out and chatted with them for a good half hour. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

It is absurd, ridiculous, downright criminal that Coryell isn't in the Hall of Fame. The modern NFL passing game literally would not exist without him. Just an insane, Tasker-level snub.

In a time where it is the Hall of Very Good, Air Coryell, along with Dan Fouts, created what has become the modern passing offense.  I think Coryell should be in the Hall of Fame, and the only reason he's not is because he didn't win a SB.  I do NOT think Cowher or Tom Flores should be in the Hall.  They really didn't change/modernize/shape the game at all.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

In a time where it is the Hall of Very Good, Air Coryell, along with Dan Fouts, created what has become the modern passing offense.  I think Coryell should be in the Hall of Fame, and the only reason he's not is because he didn't win a SB.  I do NOT think Cowher or Tom Flores should be in the Hall.  They really didn't change/modernize/shape the game at all.

I agree about Cowher, for sure. I genuinely don't understand what he did to be worthy of the Hall of Fame. At least in Flores' case, he won TWO Lombardis, as opposed to Cowher, who won one. Baffling.

Tasker and Coryell are the two biggest remaining HOF snubs, in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Comparing their records, Cowher is much stronger, more total years coaching , twice as many winning seasons, won a SB in his next to last season coaching, both had a losing season streak in the middle and came back to win again, but Flores had a second losing streak, last 4 seasons coaching all had poor records, never won more than 6 games his last 4 years, admittedly was in a rebuilding mode, but never got them over the hump.

Didn't exactly  "win it" as much as it was given to him. Probably the most fraudulent SB in recent memory.

That being said, I wish someone "gave" Marv a SB?

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Logic said:

how did his teams do when it mattered?

Just now, row_33 said:

how did his teams do when it mattered?

What do I care?

He pretty much invented the modern NFL passing game. To my mind, that's a contribution worthy of Hall of Fame inclusion. I'm not alone in this thought. Just about every NFL coach agrees that he absolutely ought to be in the Hall of Fame.

Here's an article wherein Belichick talks about the ongoing influence of Coryell on the NFL passing game, and how his coaching tree and playbook continues to this day.

https://www.boston.com/sports/extra-points/2010/07/02/remembering_don

I mean...what did Bill Cowher do? He won one Super Bowl and had a memorable chin. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

What do I care?

He pretty much invented the modern NFL passing game. To my mind, that's a contribution worthy of Hall of Fame inclusion. I'm not alone in this thought. Just about every NFL coach agrees that he absolutely ought to be in the Hall of Fame.

Here's an article wherein Belichick talks about the ongoing influence of Coryell on the NFL passing game, and how his coaching tree and playbook continues to this day.

https://www.boston.com/sports/extra-points/2010/07/02/remembering_don

I mean...what did Bill Cowher do? He won one Super Bowl and had a memorable chin. 

if you don't care, then why would anyone else care?

okay, that's two hot takes, got a third?

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

if you don't care, then why would anyone else care?

okay, that's two hot takes, got a third?

What exactly are you on about, bro?

I've explained exactly why I think Coryell should be in the Hall. You disagree. That's fine.

Not sure what's got your panties in a bunch.

Pretty simple.  The NFL in it's 100 year glory wanted to have coaches on each of the NFL pregame shows to get into the hall.  They wanted it very open and for everyone to see.

Basically a big NFL commercial in the middle of a pregame show.

1 minute ago, hjnick said:

Pretty simple.  The NFL in it's 100 year glory wanted to have coaches on each of the NFL pregame shows to get into the hall.  They wanted it very open and for everyone to see.

Basically a big NFL commercial in the middle of a pregame show.

it certainly helps, but the greats get in even without a panel show

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it certainly helps, but the greats get in even without a panel show

To be honest with you, I have no clue if Flores belongs in the hall, or jimmy, or cowher.

All were great coaches in my opinion, but I think the reason why jimmy and cowher were chosen over the others is bc it was a publicity stunt for NFL 100.

Which BTW worked out very well for the NFL.  The surprise on their faces and their speechlessness was very heart tugging.

1 hour ago, Bferra13 said:

Cowgals and Squealers are in that NFL royalty club that, to some extent, gets special privileges. Both make me want to puke.

Why would you give such childish nicknames to two storied franchises with such rich, winning histories?

15 minutes ago, hjnick said:

To be honest with you, I have no clue if Flores belongs in the hall, or jimmy, or cowher.

All were great coaches in my opinion, but I think the reason why jimmy and cowher were chosen over the others is bc it was a publicity stunt for NFL 100.

Which BTW worked out very well for the NFL.  The surprise on their faces and their speechlessness was very heart tugging.

if he gets in, fine with me

if he doesn't, fine with me

the NFL is selling something, you might find it is less appealing as the years go by, you may not....

• Like (+1) 2