Dak Prescott situation turning into a Kirk Cousins standoff?

HOUSE

Image result for dak prescott, buffalo bills

Using the tag on QB Dak Prescott could end up being the worst move for the Cowboys

That’s what makes his contract situation surprising to me. When a franchise LOVES a quarterback, it makes a deal happen. The Cowboys have clearly set their price and years on a contract and have not budged. Prescott’s camp has their number in mind and they aren’t moving either. We have a good old-fashioned contract standoff, with neither side “winning” at the moment.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/2/14/21136789/cowboys-news-dak-prescott-situation-turning-into-a-kirk-cousins-standoff

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

you can't just keep giving the qb's the new higher and biggest deal. dak isn't the best in the game so shouldn't be paid as much. 

You only need to be the best in free agency that year.  Big $$$$ coming his way

• Like (+1) 3

Dak's a quality QB, but not upper echelon. I have many friends that are Cowboys fans. The knock on him according to those friends is missing the open man on the intermediate to deep throws, especially in crunch time, and seemingly disappearing when the team needs him to throw them on his back. He's not a bad QB, but he's not a $35,000,000-$40,000,000 a year QB either. 

• Like (+1) 3

If there’s one QB in the league that I’d love to see a lot more of before forming my full opinion on, its Dak.  His stats and advanced metrics are elite, but I’ve seen a notch below that on the rare instances I’ve seen him play.  I’d wager that’s the difference between the two sides now.  Also there is plenty of time on the clock for negotiation so neither side has to make a move yet.  This will drag out.

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Kirk cousins is a great comparison for Dak. Almost literally the same guy. 

great passer rating. Not a clutch winner. 

I'd take Cousins in a micro-second.

His playoff losses absolutely have not been mostly his fault. He's not a top five guy and looks like he never will be, but he's better than Dak.

I'm so happy that the Bills don't have to deal with the Prescott situation. He clearly isn't a $35M guy, but at the same time, Dallas can't let him go, and he looks like he's not coming for less. I think they end up paying him too much. Couldn't happen to a nicer team and owner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If I'm Jerry & Dak's holding out for $40m/yr, I'd be inclined to let him walk, draft his replacement, and sign a veteran stopgap. Brady, Brees, Bridgewater, Rivers, & Winston are all free agents, and I'd feel pretty good about my chances of getting one of them for a hell of a lot less than $40m, and feel just as good, if not better, about my chances this year.

Dak's Scottie Pippin demanding to be paid like he's Michael Jordan.

22 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

His playoff losses absolutely have not been mostly his fault. He's not a top five guy and looks like he never will be, but he's better than Dak.

I'm so happy that the Bills don't have to deal with the Prescott situation. He clearly isn't a $35M guy, but at the same time, Dallas can't let him go, and he looks like he's not coming for less. I think they end up paying him too much. Couldn't happen to a nicer team and owner.

Yet

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

you can't just keep giving the qb's the new higher and biggest deal. dak isn't the best in the game so shouldn't be paid as much. 

It's all about the market.  Supply and demand.

Your value isn't related solely to how you rank against your peers, but what teams are willing to pay you.

Everyone knows you can't win without a QB.  And think about how many teams are unsettled at the QB position going into the offseason.

By my count, about 13 teams (just over 40 percent of the teams in the league) can't be 100% sure who will be under center next season.

If Dallas is unwilling to pay Prescott, I could definitely see Miami, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Los Angeles (Chargers), Chicago, Carolina or Tampa Bay being willing to do it.  Depending on how negotiations work out with their free agents, New England and Tennessee could jump into that market.  New Orleans could be in the market if Drew Brees retires.  Pittsburgh must be contemplating life without Big Ben.  Jacksonville would probably be interested if they didn't already have that terrible Nick Foles contract on the books.  And it's not totally unfathomable that Cincinnati could throw money at Prescott, and then mortgage the #1 Pick (especially if Joe Burrow is balking at playing for them). 

29 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

My definition of "Franchise QB" is a guy who can put lesser talent on his back, and pretty much carry the team by himself.

The nightmare situation for every GM is having a guy who wants a long-term/$30-35 million per year contract, but isn't clearly at the "Franchise" level.

Cousins is the very definition of borderline.  Prescott is just a notch below him, but may still have room for improvement.

I also wouldn't want to be making the call on Ryan Tannehill (fluke season?) or Jameis Winston (can be elite if he cuts down turnovers).

• Like (+1) 1

After a bit of thought on this matter, I can only hope that the cowboys absolutely Fuh K this situation up as much as humanly possible, but that’s just me I guess...

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm more than happy to watch Jerrah overpay this guy.  Dak's OK but I don't see him as a championship QB.  

Anyone think that he'll really get any better than he already is?  

Do you think Allen is championship caliber?  Jimmy G almost won the SB.  

I don’t see Dak as elite but people go to far to bash him.  He is 40-24, completed nearly 66% of his passes, 97 td to 36 int, a 97 qb rating, along with 21 rushing tds.  We would be over the moon if Allen has a start like that to his career.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1