Myles Garrett Still Claiming Racial Slur

H2o

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mike Tomlin on First Take

Apparently, it's very rare for Tomlin to make an appearance/talk to the media outside of the season.  He's really going out of his way to have Rudolph's back.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Apparently, it's very rare for Tomlin to make an appearance/talk to the media outside of the season.  He's really going out of his way to have Rudolph's back.

Did you listen to the clip?  He made it clear that he regards it as having gone beyond Rudolph at this point - that things have been said that imply that he, the Steelers organization, and their ownership are complicit in covering something up, and he will stand up and say that’s wrong.

From the viewpoint of being Myles Garrett, Tomlin is kind of like, Garrett picked up a stick and poked what he thought was a prairie dog hole, but the head that popped out was a honey badger: “Good gracious, How Very Tenacious.”  Rudolph is at this point a low-round draft pick who may or may not improve enough to stick in the league.  Tomlin and the Rooneys are a Force to be Reckoned With.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

More evidence how crazy Antonio Brown is.  He shone how had a problem with Mike Tomlin.  I bet he could write a best selling book one day.  They covered up a lot for some of the morons they had. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s context - whether it’s between equals and friends, or whether it’s said in a context where a term has historically been used as a pejorative/insult from a group with power to a disempowered group.  Similar logic where members of a ladies bowling league or a girlfriend trip may call each other “my *****” in a social setting, but someone at their place of employment would be very well advised to avoid it because it’s considered insulting. [***** rhymes with witch]

I wish that weren’t the case because I think a lot of people struggle with context and ambiguity, but it Is what it Is.

The thing is, I think most people are unpersuaded by those words as a reason for assault.  

As for Rudolph’s teammates, I think it’s hard to blanket who you are from the guys that you play with and share a locker and training room with.  They’re gonna take Rudolph as they find him and trust their own guts and ears and eyes (either way) over any media output.

Hapless - I do not disagree at all, but in the hours and the days after it happened - Garrett had no one at all defending him or the actions - 100% for long term suspension - kicking him out of the league.  Suddenly - after coming up with the one “excuse” of race baiting - there have been several athletes and media that did not condone the action, but at least stated they understand.  He suddenly at least got a small group of people back potentially on his side. It also shifted the context 180 degrees from assault to people questioning whether Rudolph is a racist or is Garrett a liar.

Long term it has no impact, but it went from 100% against him to more people qualifying that it was wrong, but if a racial slur was used - I can understand the rage.  He was able to change the narrative and I believe that was the goal of it all along.

Now we will see if a lawsuit comes out - it could totally backfire for Garrett, but my guess is they come to an agreement and in the end Garrett doesn’t need to say it any more because it becomes a part of the narrative.

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Hapless - I do not disagree at all, but in the hours and the days after it happened - Garrett had no one at all defending him or the actions - 100% for long term suspension - kicking him out of the league.  Suddenly - after coming up with the one “excuse” of race baiting - there have been several athletes and media that did not condone the action, but at least stated they understand.  He suddenly at least got a small group of people back potentially on his side. It also shifted the context 180 degrees from assault to people questioning whether Rudolph is a racist or is Garrett a liar.

Long term it has no impact, but it went from 100% against him to more people qualifying that it was wrong, but if a racial slur was used - I can understand the rage.  He was able to change the narrative and I believe that was the goal of it all along.

Now we will see if a lawsuit comes out - it could totally backfire for Garrett, but my guess is they come to an agreement and in the end Garrett doesn’t need to say it any more because it becomes a part of the narrative.

I don’t agree it was 100% against him at the time.  I think if you go back and listen, from ‘Zo Alexander to interviews with other defenders across the league at the time, there was a lot of understanding expressed.  There were a lot of people saying Rudolph should also have been suspended, the rage was understandable because Rudolph tried to pull his helmet off first and kicked him in the junk and then kept after him etc etc.  The general gestalt I got was that for defensive players across the league, there was a rueful acknowledgement “There Could Have Gone I”.

And again - I think Tomlin weighing in as he just did saying that Garrett isn’t just impugning Rudolph, he’s impugning Tomlin and the Rooneys and the Steelers organization is the exact analogy of Garrett poking a prairie dog hole and having the head of a honey badger pop out and eyeball him.  Uh-Oh.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 11:20 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Try taking one and see for yourself, there is a reason they make border patrol agents and US Marshals take these tests that they must pass to even work in those fields. Just about every government agency uses a polygraph test pre employment. If they did'nt work why would they use them for testing for enployment for such important jobs?

The US Marshals Service does not polygraph and never has for pre-employment checks.  Neither does the largest law enforcement agency in the country, the New York City Police Department.

Polygraphs measure what they're supposed to measure.  People who make it into a "lie detector" don't know how polygraphs work.  They're about as good as the person administering them, and those guys are bad at their jobs about as often as people in other lines of work.

Edited by LeviF91
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t agree it was 100% against him at the time.  I think if you go back and listen, from ‘Zo Alexander to interviews with other defenders across the league at the time, there was a lot of understanding expressed.  There were a lot of people saying Rudolph should also have been suspended, the rage was understandable because Rudolph tried to pull his helmet off first and kicked him in the junk and then kept after him etc etc.  The general gestalt I got was that for defensive players across the league, there was a rueful acknowledgement “There Could Have Gone I”.

And again - I think Tomlin weighing in as he just did saying that Garrett isn’t just impugning Rudolph, he’s impugning Tomlin and the Rooneys and the Steelers organization is the exact analogy of Garrett poking a prairie dog hole and having the head of a honey badger pop out and eyeball him.  Uh-Oh.

Part of that could just be the closing of ranks- Defensive players on one side, offensive players on the other. 

Also, I think a fair argument could exist that Garrett's initial take down of Rudolph was unnecessary given the context of the situation and the overly forceful way in which he did it. Which adds another layer to it...

The best part of this whole debate is that, whatever side you stand on, the Browns come out looking like a pile of *****. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I've watched this sack over 100 times, there is no way Rudolph says the N word to Garrett without 71 or 66 hearing it. 71 was standing right over Rudolph when you see him on the ground and standing up. In the heat of anger people don't whisper things, I believe there is no way Rudolph says anything without 71 and 66 hearing it. Im pretty sure they have the video rendering technology to really break down this video. If it is proven that Rudolph didn't say this then Garrett should be suspended for the 2020 season and open to any legal action Rudolph decides to persue. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/16/2020 at 9:46 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t think it’s true that every QB has an NFL films mic in his helmet every game

sometimes TV will mic them up

it was foolishness last year to force this prime time on the Miami rookie QB who was going to get trucked and pezzed and pasted all day

On 2/14/2020 at 3:37 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How close do you think college players are to that level of development?

I'd say that by that point, they've pretty much arrived due to 1) most of them having matured enough to sustain a greater level of self-control 2) the fact that college attendance tends to weed out those who aren't ready and 3) they're likely dealing with a more diverse population (particularly on their new teams)

On 2/14/2020 at 3:37 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On looking for the starters and finding out they'd been hauled back to jail: I think there are probably a lot of Ty Nsekhe guys out there, talented players who got into too much trouble to play in college and only luck if they somehow manage to get seen.  I'd love to see the XFL succeed to give those guys a platform.

It's a laudable goal.

That being said, some of those guys make way better nose tackles than they do neighbors. :lol:

56 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'd say that by that point, they've pretty much arrived due to 1) most of them having matured enough to sustain a greater level of self-control 2) the fact that college attendance tends to weed out those who aren't ready and 3) they're likely dealing with a more diverse population (particularly on their new teams)

So looping back, your take would be that Rudolph is more than “old enough to know better” as a young NFL player and you’d be surprised if it’s true?

It's a laudable goal.

That being said, some of those guys make way better nose tackles than they do neighbors. :lol:

I believe that is probably also true of the successful NT (and other players) who go through college programs - though I take your point that showing you’re able to handle the discipline of a college program may weed some of that out.

I would not have wanted Greg Hardy as my next door neighbor.  Unsure about Shaq Lawson.  Think I’d bake Jordan Phillips a cake.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So looping back, your take would be that Rudolph is more than “old enough to know better” as a young NFL player and you’d be surprised if it’s true?

I believe that is probably also true of the successful NT (and other players) who go through college programs - though I take your point that showing you’re able to handle the discipline of a college program may weed some of that out.

I would not have wanted Greg Hardy as my next door neighbor.  Unsure about Shaq Lawson.  Think I’d bake Jordan Phillips a cake.

The only thing I’m baking is brownies for Marcel Dareus.