Myles Garrett Still Claiming Racial Slur

H2o

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair.  My point is just that there's not a specific "maximum penalty", it's pretty much all left to their discretion

Understood, my point is that if it picks him up, that's pretty definitive (except for, as you say, magic bullet consipiracy theories)

If it doesn't pick him up, I don't think it can be taken as exoneration.  There will always be the question of was something said, and not picked up.

I think language on the field would largely be a defined penalty in the CBA. Surely plenty of insults are hurled any given Sunday which I imagine would cut the league at the knees if they try to impose an indefinite suspension. Then go wouldn’t have unlimited leeway to do what they choose with Rudolph if he said it, to my understanding.

I get that racism exist. I’ve experienced it first hand...but I can’t help but to think that Garrett is thinking he can get away with this. The NFL records all of this stuff...most huddle and piles are recorded for audio. None of his teammates heard it, none of Rudolph’s teammates heard it and Neither did the tech used by the NFL

IMHO, Garrett is irresponsible for his claim and deserves to be judged for it!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KGun12TD said:

I get that racism exist. I’ve experienced it first hand...but I can’t help but to think that Garrett is thinking he can get away with this. The NFL records all of this stuff...most huddle and piles are recorded for audio. None of his teammates heard it, none of Rudolph’s teammates heard it and Neither did the tech used by the NFL

IMHO, Garrett is irresponsible for his claim and deserves to be judged for it!

What's funny is the NFL has already come out and said that they didn't have any audio on that play around to catch anything.  Aren't QBs mic'd every game?

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

What's funny is the NFL has already come out and said that they didn't have any audio on that play around to catch anything.  Aren't QBs mic'd every game?

This is exactly what I’m thinking. I think he said it and now he’s got nothing else to go by. This is sad and dangerous.

2 hours ago, KGun12TD said:

This is exactly what I’m thinking. I think he said it and now he’s got nothing else to go by. This is sad and dangerous.

Thing is though, Garrett made the racial slur claim before the NFL said anything about not having any mics nearby.  Because of Garrett accusing Rudolph of that, the NFL went to go check the claim and supposedly has no audio around the play to pick up anything at all.  It just seems odd to me, speaking from the NFL perspective.

Don't see why Garrett would purposefully lie about something that NFL 99.999% of the time has the means to prove true or otherwise. 

Edited by Laughing Coffin
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Thing is though, Garrett made the racial slur claim before the NFL said anything about not having any mics nearby.  Because of Garrett accusing Rudolph of that, the NFL went to go check the claim and supposedly has no audio around the play to pick up anything at all.  It just seems odd to me, speaking from the NFL perspective.

Don't see why Garrett would purposefully lie about something that NFL 99.999% of the time has the means to prove true or otherwise. 

As far as I read...he didn’t make the claim initially (after the game). It wasn’t until they fined him...but your point is alarming if true...

31 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Let's be honest throwing claims of racism without proof is non-punishable and makes you a hero. When Sherman said Mayfield wouldn't shake his hand what was his penalty?

Unless there's a penalty for lying about racism people will use it.

13 minutes ago, KGun12TD said:

As far as I read...he didn’t make the claim initially (after the game). It wasn’t until they fined him...but your point is alarming if true...

Garrett didn't make the claim until he met with the NFL. He claimed he thought the meeting would be confidential. It was after it went public that he talked about it. And the whole "audio malfunction" is fishy as can be.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/14/2020 at 6:17 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I have been called both a “cracker” and “*****” while playing football and basketball.

I never got into a fight about it.

It seems as if the racial rules only apply to whites...I tell my daughter that the  n word is offensive.

Went to walmart with my daughter the other day we were behind this guy who call the guy he was talking to 

on the phone the n word affectionately at least a half dozen times in a few minute phone call....

4 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Negative, QB not mic'd.  Garrett I'm told said this in one interview, but he's mistaken or confused.

The QB has a speaker in his helmet, but not a microphone.  He can hear the coach up to 15 seconds on the playclock, they can't hear him.  Ever notice Allen making a kind of frantic "winding" gesture with his hand next to his earholes?  That's because he needs the coach to repeat the play, but he can't just ask.

3 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

He would purposely lie to give others a reason to see why he did what he did.  It has already worked as people question Rudolph and what impact this has on his teammates. 

He needed to make it seem like he didn’t just go crazy for no reason - let’s give everyone a reason that will play with a large segment of the population.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Negative, QB not mic'd.  Garrett I'm told said this in one interview, but he's mistaken or confused.

The QB has a speaker in his helmet, but not a microphone.  He can hear the coach up to 15 seconds on the playclock, they can't hear him.  Ever notice Allen making a kind of frantic "winding" gesture with his hand next to his earholes?  That's because he needs the coach to repeat the play, but he can't just ask.

I assumed that poster meant more nfl films mic than play calling discussion 

15 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

Garret still claiming racial slur, Antonio Brown out here recording himself using racial slurs, and he’s still getting job opportunities ??‍♂️

Riley Cooper right a bell?

20 hours ago, Albwan said:

It seems as if the racial rules only apply to whites...I tell my daughter that the  n word is offensive.

Went to walmart with my daughter the other day we were behind this guy who call the guy he was talking to 

on the phone the n word affectionately at least a half dozen times in a few minute phone call....

If only white people could catch a break in America.  

22 hours ago, Albwan said:

It’s context - whether it’s between equals and friends, or whether it’s said in a context where a term has historically been used as a pejorative/insult from a group with power to a disempowered group.  Similar logic where members of a ladies bowling league or a girlfriend trip may call each other “my *****” in a social setting, but someone at their place of employment would be very well advised to avoid it because it’s considered insulting. [***** rhymes with witch]

I wish that weren’t the case because I think a lot of people struggle with context and ambiguity, but it Is what it Is.

20 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

He would purposely lie to give others a reason to see why he did what he did.  It has already worked as people question Rudolph and what impact this has on his teammates. 
He needed to make it seem like he didn’t just go crazy for no reason - let’s give everyone a reason that will play with a large segment of the population.

The thing is, I think most people are unpersuaded by those words as a reason for assault.  

As for Rudolph’s teammates, I think it’s hard to blanket who you are from the guys that you play with and share a locker and training room with.  They’re gonna take Rudolph as they find him and trust their own guts and ears and eyes (either way) over any media output.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s context - whether it’s between equals and friends, or whether it’s said in a context where a term has historically been used as a pejorative/insult from a group with power to a disempowered group.  Similar logic where members of a ladies bowling league or a girlfriend trip may call each other “my *****” in a social setting, but someone at their place of employment would be very well advised to avoid it because it’s insulting.

I wish that weren’t the case because I think a lot of people struggle with context and ambiguity, but it Is what it Is.

Well said.  I don’t think anyone should use it.  But there seems to be way too much if they can use it, why can’t I?  

good rules to live by: treat people the way you want to be tried and don’t use slurs.  Seems simple enough.

And good on tomlin who got called the n word by some ignorant fan before.  He seems like a great coach and leader. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Awesome! (+1) 2