Myles Garrett Still Claiming Racial Slur

H2o

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He is indeed threatening to sue, and his attorney had a statement about it 

Yes he is threatening to sue for defamation not libel as CB suggested (and battery), but as the article states - difficult for Rudolph to prove Malicious intent to win this case.  All a lawsuit does it keep this in the public eye.

A lawsuit puts the burden of proof on Rudolph and since there are times where it is just the 2 of them away from others - very good chance it is just he said versus he said and the case either gets tossed or settled - if it even can get that far.

In the end hopefully this will shut Garret up, but he is in deep and this is his only fall back - so he will have to stick to it.  I just wish the NFL had kept him out for longer - I do not think he deserves to play after that kind of attack.

I think Garrett lost his mind in the heat of battle the resulting action so stupid and reckless he could have killed the guy. Ultimately his rationale to me means nothing. No excuse no good reason exists for what he did. His attempt to spin this is predictable but futile. It is what it is. Football is violent enough using a helmet as a club. His action 100% ban worthy and cannot be justified. 

Edited by ~Kostabi~

On 2/14/2020 at 9:41 AM, BarleyNY said:

I’m from Cleveland.  People around the team were talking about it that same day.  I think the NFL wants to avoid the PR nightmare.  No way do they even admit it happened. 

You've said this twice with no evidence to back up your claim.  Link it?

(apologize if you already did somewhere in this thread.)

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

The flip side. He says it right after they hit the ground in a loud stadium. How many people would hear it? 

theres essentially no way to document or prove or... you just let the incident go at that point. Anyone going super hard in the paint either direction is speaking more about Their own views than this incident. I get having some opinions about what’s most likely but not getting worked up 

As Tomlin said, no one mentioned it in the locker room or on the field. Don't you think the first thing he would say to his coach or teammates on the sideline is that he reacted because of the slur? 

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I dropped you a note regarding what I got the same day.  I can’t link it here, but this is a mainstream media link from within a week of the incident:

48 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I already did the research and contradicted his previous lie. Mike Tomlin contradicts this latest one.

He is confused or lying. 

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I dropped you a note regarding what I got the same day.  I can’t link it here, but this is a mainstream media link from within a week of the incident:

I responded.  If this was true, it would have been leaked immediately, or certainly very soon after the game by someone on the Browns.  Why wouldn't they, as a way to defend their teammate?

59 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I responded.  If this was true, it would have been leaked immediately, or certainly very soon after the game by someone on the Browns.  Why wouldn't they, as a way to defend their teammate?

That's basically Mike Tomlin's point.  I'm sure coaches and players were talking to Garrett after the incident.  If it was true, wouldn't Garrett have said something then, and wouldn't something about it have come out as Tomlin was on the field talking to Browns players and coaches after the game?

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's basically Mike Tomlin's point.  I'm sure coaches and players were talking to Garrett after the incident.  If it was true, wouldn't Garrett have said something then, and wouldn't something about it have come out as Tomlin was on the field talking to Browns players and coaches after the game?

of course

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

nope. Rule number one of heated confrontations- keep mega details to yourself and reveal them a week later. There is literally no reason to immediately give pertinent information as to why you just assaulted someone on national television. Pack it up in your backpack and keep it on the DL till later. 

obviously. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/14/2020 at 8:00 AM, BarleyNY said:

Edited to add: An important piece of info many might not be aware of is that In the locker room immediately after the incident Garrett was livid about Rudolph dropping the N word on him.  This wasn’t something that an agent came up with later.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:13 AM, metbill said:

Where did you find this piece of info at?  Just curious as this is the only time I have seen reference to Garret claiming it right after the event. 

I actually think the opposite, if the NFL had it on a mic, they could immediately come forward, throw Mason out of the league and forever be emboldened as a true equality force in this country and drawing a firm line on racism on the workplace.  

I share the curiosity on the source of this information.  In the locker room after games, there seem to usually be a lot of reporters pretty durn quick.  Certainly a lot of reporters were asking questions of various players about the incident and interviewing Garrett. 

I kind of find it hard to believe that Garrett is mic'd up for the game, there are microphones all over the place, he's livid in the locker room after the game when there seem to be microphones and reporters all over, and yet this hasn't come out.

The NSA, FBI, and other government entities should sent Lesson Teams to the Browns and the NFL if that's true.

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Within a week, and "in the locker room immediately after the incident" are not nearly the same thing.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Within a week, and "in the locker room immediately after the incident" are not nearly the same thing.

I can’t post the one from Nov 15th, 2019 here due to premium restrictions from where it came from.  Believe me or don’t.  I’ll leave it there except to reiterate that Rudolph calling Garrett a racial slur doesn’t excuse Garrett‘a actions. 

So my takeaway here is that nothing will change in Cleveland even with Stefanski, as long as the scumbag Haslams are in charge.

The Browns and Garrett should have known he would be in the media this week with his reinstatement coming during the slowest news weeks of the season. They should have been ahead of this and told him to make no further comments, and let everyone just move on from the incident.

But no.

They let him double-down on an obvious lie, and just continue to make the franchise look worse and worse.

edit: I'd also put money on if Garrett really did hear an n-bomb, it was no doubt from Pouncey who was right there and uses that word as punctuation practically every other word when he speaks. But there is no reason for Pouncey to step up and admit it when Garret can keep digging a deeper hole by saying it was Rudolph when it obviously wasnt.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

15 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I can’t post the one from Nov 15th, 2019 here due to premium restrictions from where it came from.  Believe me or don’t.  I’ll leave it there except to reiterate that Rudolph calling Garrett a racial slur doesn’t excuse Garrett‘a actions. 

I completely believe that you saw something as you describe, but like I said - if it's on a mic somewhere or even was brought up in locker room right after, the NFL has operational security that the NSA and FBI should be studying. 

Maybe they should be studying the NFL.

We agree on the latter.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So my takeaway here is that nothing will change in Cleveland even with Stefanski, as long as the scumbag Haslams are in charge.

The Browns and Garrett should have known he would be in the media this week with his reinstatement coming during the slowest news weeks of the season. They should have been ahead of this and told him to make no further comments, and let everyone just move on from the incident.

But no.

They let him double-down on an obvious lie, and just continue to make the franchise look worse and worse.

edit: I'd also put money on if Garrett really did hear an n-bomb, it was no doubt from Pouncey who was right there and uses that word as punctuation practically every other word when he speaks. But there is no reason for Pouncey to step up and admit it when Garret can keep digging a deeper hole by saying it was Rudolph when it obviously wasnt.

This dumpster fire starts at the top. I don’t see how you change that unless you can fire the owner. 

Edited by Augie

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But no.

I mean, maybe it's not an obvious lie?  Maybe that's what he sincerely believes he heard.  The human memory is a strange thing.  People used to consider eyewitness testimony to be reliable, now it's been studied that it is actually quite fallible and can be influenced by all kinds of stuff.

But I agree it would have been good for the Browns team to be pro-active and see if they could come to an agreement with Garrett about how to handle this (I don't believe they could just tell him to make no further comments, but they could probably have helped shape or frame the discussion)