Myles Garrett Still Claiming Racial Slur

H2o

47 minutes ago, H2o said:

Rudolph just responded:

In case anyone wonders if Rudolph's claim of character assasination is overblown, there are these.  Looks to me like he could have a point. 
1) The consequences of what Garrett is claiming are real for Rudolph (see below)
2) I "get it" that a racial slur would 100% make a guy see red, but isn't that the point of trash-talk during a game, see if you can get the guy to lose it?  Is Garrett trying to claim that a racial slur would justify him clocking a player on his bare head with a 6 lb helmet?

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

You keep saying this - you do understand to sue for libel - you must show how it  financially impacted you and your future earnings.  Just because someone says something about you does not mean you automatically can sue.  Even if it is a bold face lie.

Additionally - all suing does it keep it in the spotlight.  If there was truth to it or not - how are they going to prove anything - the players on the Steelers that were there denied it.  No Browns were close enough to hear anything - so it would be MG stating his piece versus a few Steelers with No real evidence.  Not exactly law suit material.

In the end - either way the ends are not justified by the means - you have a player that deserved to be suspended and has now been reinstated.  We will see how long before his next suspension as he as continually pushed the line and even in his limited time before this was noted as a dirty player. 

He is indeed threatening to sue, and his attorney had a statement about it 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Come on. This whole thing is hilarious. After Garrett claimed racism, he literally said "I'm not trying to make this racial." ?

to be fair, IF, he was called that he didn’t do anything to make a racial issue, really.

3 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Hell yea. Sue this race-bating loser to the ground. NFL absolutely has a recording of everything that was said. If it was true it would have come out. Not a single person backed up Garrett's account. 

The flip side. He says it right after they hit the ground in a loud stadium. How many people would hear it? 

theres essentially no way to document or prove or... you just let the incident go at that point. Anyone going super hard in the paint either direction is speaking more about Their own views than this incident. I get having some opinions about what’s most likely but not getting worked up 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Tomlin also just made a statement. 

I hope MG gets his ass beat out there this year, I can get over the mistake he made on the field. I can’t stomach a premeditated salvage attempt that in turn hurts another guy. 

What a scrub.

That's pretty much where I am. 

I felt bad for Garrett when the indefinite suspension came down.  I thought that was lame by the NFL. 

I listened to defensive players around the league speak on it and it was pretty clear they all had a rueful acknowledgement along the lines of "there but for the grace of God and my teammates separating me, there could go I".  As 'Zo Alexander said, "All you see is red.  You don't know or care if there's a helmet in your hand or if there's not a helmet in your hand"

I think all the good defenders play right on the edge of control between the whistles and I'm sure it's hard to turn it off.  I also thought Rudolph was at fault for going after Garrett after his lineman had walked Garrett away from him.  Rudolph, too, needs to learn to switch it off.   I can 100% say "man made a mistake, he's learned, Move On."

But at this point....Garrett has been re-instated.  He must know that corroborating evidence is lacking and it can't be proven.  He must realize that whatever Rudolph said, it will not be seen by most as justification for clocking the man in the bare head with a helmet.

What's the point?

2 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

Yeah, I can't get on board with this 100%.  This dovetails into the bullying discussion.  Maybe the stats weren't kept until the last few decades, but I don't recall the child suicide rate related to bullying ever being as high as it is.  This whole teaching kids to just endure it and "be the bigger person" doesn't work. 

Someone needs to talk to somebody.

Well, I started with “grown ups” and you went to the child suicide rate. Everyone in the NFL is a grown up, and trying to physically bully everyone else. You don’t just endure it, you make a lesson of it.

Believe me, I am fully against bullying, but that doesn’t apply in the NFL.  Reacting to what a guy says in the NFL (whether it happened or not) is the wrong way to go. It hurts your team, your personal reputation, and in this case smacks of excuse-making. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Well, I started with “grown ups” and you went to the child suicide rate. Everyone in the NFL is a grown up, and trying to physically bully everyone else. You don’t just endure it, you make a lesson of it.

Believe me, I am fully against bullying, but that doesn’t apply in the NFL.  Reacting to what a guy says in the NFL (whether it happened or not) is the wrong way to go. It hurts your team, your personal reputation, and in this case smacks of excuse-making. 

The way to react is to keep your mouth shut and just totally pwn the guy's ass next time you play and every time after that.  "Whose my B word now, baby?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

The flip side. He says it right after they hit the ground in a loud stadium. How many people would hear it? 

theres essentially no way to document or prove or... you just let the incident go at that point. Anyone going super hard in the paint either direction is speaking more about Their own views than this incident. I get having some opinions about what’s most likely but not getting worked up 

Right, but the burden of proof is on Garret, who claims it was said. And unless he can prove that it was said, he is 100% open to legal action. 

If he hadn’t come out and doubled down on it, it likely doesn’t matter one bit at this point. But here we are. ?

Garrett made it racial by using race. How stupid is he?

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But at this point....Garrett has been re-instated.  He must know that corroborating evidence is lacking and it can't be proven.  He must realize that whatever Rudolph said, it will not be seen by most as justification for clocking the man in the bare head with a helmet.

What's the point?

He's just trying to sway public attention so he doesn't look like an attempted murderer. He's trying to say it was justifiable homicide.

Sorry Garrett's ploy is so incredibly stupid it's amazing anyone is paying attention. A guy who's played football with people of different races turns on the race card during a sack? It's a joke.

7 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

Garrett made it racial by using race. How stupid is he?

He's just trying to sway public attention so he doesn't look like an attempted murderer. He's trying to say it was justifiable homicide.

Sorry Garrett's ploy is so incredibly stupid it's amazing anyone is paying attention. A guy who's played football with people of different races turns on the race card during a sack? It's a joke.

That's my point in the post to which you're responding: Garrett (or people advising him, his PR guys and agent) has to know that use of a slur is NOT regarded as justification for assault with a weapon.  Even if he's 100% telling the truth, people make jokes about "Rudolph the Redneck Reindeer" and Rudolph behind his linemen wearing a sheet, they don't say "Oh, well, then, that totes justifies Garrett smashing him in the head with his own helmet".

As one of the articles linked above points out:

"Even if Garrett subjectively believes he heard it, at some point he needs to consider the broader evidence** and ask himself whether he simply believes he heard something that wasn’t said."

**the fact that the NFL has microphones blanketing the field which evidently did not pick it up, that players and refs standing nearby say they didn't hear it, that Rudolph denies it, and that apparently Garrett did not tell anyone at the time.

• Like (+1) 2