Myles Garrett Still Claiming Racial Slur

H2o

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Should he hit someone with a helmet? Of course not.  But I’m assuming you’re white (please correct me if I’m wrong).  If you’re Not black, you can never fully understand what being called that word does to you.  You really can’t.  It’s like women with c word.  I don’t get it but it is a total no no. 

I wouldn't be surprised if 'total no-no' words get used more frequently in football trash talk than we spectators know - BECAUSE of their power to evoke a reaction.

Remember the first Miami game, where one of the Miami DLmen got ejected like, on the first or second snap for throwing a punch at Cody Ford?   Why'd he do that?  Cody being black, I doubt he used the N word and it's sometimes not regarded as provocative from one black to another (like one woman calling another a b**** is different), but I'd guess Ford said something deliberately provocative. 

That's the game within the game.

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I didn't put my spikes away until I was almost 40 and in all those years I only ever heard one white guy drop an N-bomb on somebody. That guy got cracked on the head by one of his own teammates (who were all white guys) and never played another game for that club again.

The funny thing about it was that he said it to to my Mike 'backer whose response was "I'm not even black, I'm Hawaiian you dumb #uck" :lol:

Which was perfect cuz the entire defense (which was all black guys except me and the Mike) started howling and it instantly defused a dangerous situation.

That's a beautiful story.  Thank you for sharing it.  Where did you play?

There was some controversy in a local HS football game with my daughter's school about the N-word being tossed at one (DI recruit) player during a HS playoff game.  The game ended in a brawl where the coaches on that team charged the other bench.  The school denied it, and no evidence from all the video and stuff turned up, but I tend to believe there was enough smoke that probably some fire was involved.

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I didn't put my spikes away until I was almost 40 and in all those years I only ever heard one white guy drop an N-bomb on somebody. That guy got cracked on the head by one of his own teammates (who were all white guys) and never played another game for that club again.

The funny thing about it was that he said it to to my Mike 'backer whose response was "I'm not even black, I'm Hawaiian you dumb #uck" :lol:

Which was perfect cuz the entire defense (which was all black guys except me and the Mike) started howling and it instantly defused a dangerous situation.

I'm quite confident the league has a code for such words, enforced on the field and in one's own lockerroom

a rumour about a certain former pint-sized former Bills QB using a bad word and losing the respect of his entire non-Bills team instantly, floated around at the time, if it did happen it was dealt with internally

the team certainly had no use for him during his tenure, including a playoff game

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

First off let me be clear in saying that in no way shape or form does it justify his actions.  But Garrett was mic’d up for that game and there were field mics everywhere, yet no audio has been released or leaked.  If it didn’t happen it could’ve been easily disproved.  To me it looks like the NFL locked down an exceptionally bad PR situation.

A lot of things about this situation could’ve been a lot worse.  Garrett could’ve connected with that helmet swing with horrifying consequences.  But beyond Rudolph’s serious injury and Garrett’s lifetime ban it’d have ended there.

Now instead imagine the situation as it stood (no serious injuries) and audio of Rudolph dropping the N word on Garrett getting leaked.  The media storm, protests and backlash would’ve been massive.  Alienation of substantial demographic groups of fans and real damage to the shield.

Again, the allegations would’ve been very easy to disprove and there’s only one reason that’s not happening.

Edited to add: An important piece of info many might not be aware of is that In the locker room immediately after the incident Garrett was livid about Rudolph dropping the N word on him.  This wasn’t something that an agent came up with later.

The conspiracy theorist is strong in this one.

And the evidence is nonexistent, at least here.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

The conspiracy theorist is strong in this one.

And the evidence is nonexistent, at least here.

And it’s also a lie, poster should be held accountable...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11/nfl-had-no-recorded-sound-from-the-field-in-determining-if-mason-rudolph-hurled-a-racial-slur-at-myles-garrett-source-says.html%3foutputType=amp

Just now, CommonCents said:

Garret is was not mic’d up, he was mic’d up the week before for the Bills game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Should he hit someone with a helmet? Of course not.  But I’m assuming you’re white (please correct me if I’m wrong).  If you’re Not black, you can never fully understand what being called that word does to you.  You really can’t.  It’s like women with c word.  I don’t get it but it is a total no no.  

And if MR didn’t say it, MG should face consequences.  I know if I had their money and someone falsely accused me of something like I would take them to court. 

What if Rudolph was asked to let it go so as not to dissuade players from coming forward when someone does utter a slur in the future?

Not saying that’s the case, but one could certainly understand if it were.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if 'total no-no' words get used more frequently in football trash talk than we spectators know - BECAUSE of their power to evoke a reaction.

Remember the first Miami game, where one of the Miami DLmen got ejected like, on the first or second snap for throwing a punch at Cody Ford?   Why'd he do that?  Cody being black, I doubt he used the N word and it's sometimes not regarded as provocative from one black to another (like one woman calling another a b**** is different), but I'd guess Ford said something deliberately provocative. 

That's the game within the game.

I played football through college and never heard that word used once by a non black person to a black person.  Happened several times in hockey. 

id like to think that a guy playing in a mixed sport like football would never say something like that.  And again if he didn’t, Mason should sue because that’s a pretty serious thing to be thrown around,  and I’d suspend Garrett again if there was evidence nothing was said.

3 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

And it’s also a lie, poster should be held accountable...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11/nfl-had-no-recorded-sound-from-the-field-in-determining-if-mason-rudolph-hurled-a-racial-slur-at-myles-garrett-source-says.html%3foutputType=amp

Garret is was not mic’d up, he was mic’d up the week before for the Bills game. 

Ah yes, the provocateur lies to stir up trouble. Part of the conspiratorial playbook. Could smell that from far off. Thanks for doing the legwork.

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

Ah yes, the provocateur lies to stir up trouble. Part of the conspiratorial playbook. Could smell that from far off. Thanks for doing the legwork.

NP. Most the time I’d let it slide but on sensitive issues there should be zero tolerance for stuff like that. 

20 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I've seen dozens of amazing things out there, another Garrett for the Raiders back in the day kicked his opponent in the helmet, against the Packers??, the replay is out there in some documentaries

nobody has done that to an opposing QB for that prolonged a play in garbagetime

and geez, the Steelers were meeting up with them again in a handful of weeks to perform a little more discreet payback

This should have happened to Rivers this year. A guy on the Jags hit him, tried to help him up, and he got in his face and talked crap to him.  Dudes kinda of a punk. 

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

What if Rudolph was asked to let it go so as not to dissuade players from coming forward when someone does utter a slur in the future?

Not saying that’s the case, but one could certainly understand if it were.

That’s interesting but I’m always of the opinion that if someone accuses you of something that serious, you would do whatever it takes to clear your name.  Also if Garrett got sued, players would think twice about saying something like this.

i remember all the Roid head baseball guys like A Rod who threaten to sue when they were accused. Well none of them did and it turns out they were doing it.  If someone accuses me of something serious and I have the means, I’m clearing my name. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well that certainly is true.  Small dogs bark the most.  Big dogs just bite. 

And if he is lying, I think he should be suspended again.  I can’t believe there is no audio given how mic’ed up everything is now.

and if I’m MR and didn’t say it, why won’t he sued for libel?

He probably wouldn't be able to prove he didn't say it either.

Although Garrett's actions were very bad & could have had a lot worse out come to them as far as injury than it did he seems to be a very intelligent person with a very moral type of out look on certain things .

I being caucasian have had conversations with African american friends in my life to help me to understand certain things I have had a major disagreement in those conversations to where i have been told that by changing the end of the N word from "er" to an "a" makes it okay in certain circles.

IMHO neither is acceptable if we as people are trying to do away with the term & Garrett feels the same which i totally agree with him on !! If you read his thoughts in this article especially the last paragraph you will see his views of it & i couldn't agree more . With that i hope all those involved have learned from this situation !

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102112/article/myles-garrett-reiterates-mason-rudolph-called-him-slur

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

in the history of the cheap shots and deliberate injuries to an opponent and slurs delivered in an NFL game, that was the first time someone snapped that bad

he better show contrition when he shows up at HQ

Fine line between "snapping" and not...why many coaches say 'controlled agression'.  Maybe you've played, maybe you haven't, but as a player it is tough to control your emotions when someone provokes you. 

Not defending Garrett, but rudolph is not innocent and Pounceys actions were also bad.  Cant know what was said, but you can see a player trying to rip off a players helmet, then charges after him after his own helmet is ripped off.  So....what if rudolph got Garrett's helmet ripped off and garrets neck was injured...cant say I feel bad for what happened 

• Like (+1) 1

We traveled to play Louisiana Lafayette, the Rajun Cajuns when I was a senior in college.

The two other starting outfielders were black.  It was a night game and the fans were viscous.  

They asked them to smile so they could see them.

I remember a fly ball got over the head of our centerfielder and someone yelled out "maybe you need that whip to make you run faster"

One guy yelled out "Do y'all listen to David Allen Coe?  You really should if you don't.  He's a really good song writer!" 

No fights...none. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's a beautiful story.  Thank you for sharing it.  Where did you play?

There was some controversy in a local HS football game with my daughter's school about the N-word being tossed at one (DI recruit) player during a HS playoff game.  The game ended in a brawl where the coaches on that team charged the other bench.  The school denied it, and no evidence from all the video and stuff turned up, but I tend to believe there was enough smoke that probably some fire was involved.

Oh, I've got a million of them. It was an amateur league in PA filled by guys who were either not good enough to play pro ball, too old to play pro ball any more, or behind bars too often to play in college. We were the reincarnation of the 1976 Oakland Raiders. I literally cannot count the number of times I'd be looking for one of our defensive starters during a Sunday morning pregame only to be told he'd been hauled off back to jail on Friday night. They were a pack of occasionally dangerous lunatics, but by god they were funny. 

I'm more prone to believe it happened at a level where the players involved were younger and maybe hadn't developed a certain level of understanding and self-control, your daughters school being a prime example. But with older players that's just such a no-go zone that I really have a hard time buying Garret's story.

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

He probably wouldn't be able to prove he didn't say it either.

Maybe but attempting to fight it and being angry that it is even suggested would be a good start. 

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We traveled to play Louisiana Lafayette, the Rajun Cajuns when I was a senior in college.

The two other starting outfielders were black.  It was a night game and the fans were viscous.  

They asked them to smile so they could see them.

I remember a fly ball got over the head of our centerfielder and someone yelled out "maybe you need that whip to make you run faster"

One guy yelled out "Do y'all listen to David Allen Coe?  You really should if you don't.  He's a really good song writer!" 

No fights...none. 

Welcome to the life of a minority.  Either accept abuse based solely on the color of your skin and just take it.  Or get angry and get called a thug.  

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re not this ignorant are you?  I hope not.  No slur is ok.  But if you are comparing the two, it’s absolutely insane.

and I have no idea what happened.  Neither does anyone else so it’s completely garbage to pretend like you do.  Every scouting report on Garrett is that he was a super mild mannered dude who might love art more than football.  

I have no idea how you of all people get away with calling people ignorant. And that’s without bringing up the fact that Garrett has a well earned reputation as one of the dirtiest players in the league.

• Haha (+1) 1