Myles Garrett Still Claiming Racial Slur

H2o

5 hours ago, H2o said:

In a sit down interview with Mina Kimes he's still using the racial slur argument. I don't buy it. This is a guy trying to find a way to repair his image and justify his actions.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02/myles-garrett-mason-rudolph-called-him-a-stupid-n-word-he-tells-espn.html

Look, as far as I understand, trash talk is pretty common on a football field.  If mommas and sisters and wives are fair game, I think it would be naive to think that racial slurs don't come into it.

The thing is, I don't think it justifies slamming a guy on his unprotected head with your helmet. That's behavior you gotta be able to control.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I made it clear that I agree with that.  How about this as a takeaway for Garrett: How about next time don’t do something that could’ve been unforgivable in retaliation to a slur?  Then maybe people can focus on the slur you were called and the guy who called you it rather than your much worse response.

As for pushing the issue of the slur, there’s no way that was happening during the indefinite suspension.  Had Garrett done so I am positive that he’d still be suspended.  In fact I’m surprised he brought it up again.  It might not help him in the future. 

Well said and good take IMO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re not this ignorant are you?  I hope not.  No slur is ok.  But if you are comparing the two, it’s absolutely insane.

and I have no idea what happened.  Neither does anyone else so it’s completely garbage to pretend like you do.  Every scouting report on Garrett is that he was a super mild mannered dude who might love art more than football.  

That would be his personality OFF the field.  He wouldn't be getting the big bucks to play football if that was his ON FIELD persona.

I don’t know either guy, but it’s really between them. I have no need to pick a side on something I know nothing about. Stuff like this just works perfectly in a culture where everyone needs to pick sides on everything, and the media keeps fanning the flames. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t know either guy, but it’s really between them. I have no need to pick a side on something I know nothing about. Stuff like this just works perfectly in a culture where everyone needs to pick sides on everything, and the media keeps fanning the flames. 

nothing justifies Garrett's behaviour, he had better repeat that line every time he has to answer a question if he wants to be cashing checks for the long term

Just now, row_33 said:

nothing justifies Garrett's behaviour, he had better repeat that line every time he has to answer a question if he wants to be cashing checks for the long term

Behavior isn’t justified, I’m just saying I’m not going to call Rudolph a racist, or Garrett a liar when in reality I don’t know what happened. I just find it funny how 99.9% of people take one of those two positions. I take the position that I have no clue what happened. I’m just commenting to society/media’s need to choose sides in everything. It’s fair to state an opinion there was no place in football for that, because that’s a more informed opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Behavior isn’t justified, I’m just saying I’m not going to call Rudolph a racist, or Garrett a liar when in reality I don’t know what happened. I just find it funny how 99.9% of people take one of those two positions. I take the position that I have no clue what happened. I’m just commenting to society/media’s need to choose sides in everything. It’s fair to state an opinion there was no place in football for that, because that’s a more informed opinion. 

i take the position that i see this and shake my head a bit and move on

Just now, row_33 said:

i take the position that i see this and shake my head a bit and move on

I mostly agree, that’s why I’m saying I really don’t care to pick sides. The situation should have never occurred, and that’s all there is to it. 

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Should he hit someone with a helmet? Of course not.  But I’m assuming you’re white (please correct me if I’m wrong).  If you’re Not black, you can never fully understand what being called that word does to you.  You really can’t.  It’s like women with c word.  I don’t get it but it is a total no no.  

And if MR didn’t say it, MG should face consequences.  I know if I had their money and someone falsely accused me of something like I would take them to court. 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I mostly agree, that’s why I’m saying I really don’t care to pick sides. The situation should have never occurred, and that’s all there is to it. 

in the history of the cheap shots and deliberate injuries to an opponent and slurs delivered in an NFL game, that was the first time someone snapped that bad

he better show contrition when he shows up at HQ

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ah.  Because one person lies, all other racism is also a lie.  Solid, well adjusted thinking. 

Where’s the evidence other than one overly aggressive man’s word? There are sound devices everywhere that would’ve picked up whatever was said.

Edited by Shooter McGavin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

in the history of the cheap shots and deliberate injuries to an opponent and slurs delivered in an NFL game, that was the first time someone snapped that bad

he better show contrition when he shows up at HQ

Hayneworth stepped on a guy’s head without a helmet. RI the psycho had a helmet swung at him.  A hockey player just kicked someone with a skate last night.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re not this ignorant are you?  I hope not.  No slur is ok.  But if you are comparing the two, it’s absolutely insane.

and I have no idea what happened.  Neither does anyone else so it’s completely garbage to pretend like you do.  Every scouting report on Garrett is that he was a super mild mannered dude who might love art more than football.  

I don't think YOU need to be calling anyone ignorant.

I don't pretend to know what happened, Myles Garrett told us what happened.  So I'm commenting based on what he said.  Is this really that hard for you?

I once had fans (yes, more than 1) slanting their eyes at me.  Called me a dog eating M'fer.  Called me every single Asian slur possible.  I didn't swing on anyone or even have words with them.  I've been called racial slurs pretty much my whole life in many other instances too.

I'm glad that you have a hierarchy on which racial slurs are more inappropriate than others.

Super mild mannered dude huh?  Everyone expected Marvin Harrison to be involved in a shooting outside his bar right? 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hayneworth stepped on a guy’s head without a helmet. RI the psycho had a helmet swung at him.  A hockey player just kicked someone with a skate last night.

I've seen dozens of amazing things out there, another Garrett for the Raiders back in the day kicked his opponent in the helmet, against the Packers??, the replay is out there in some documentaries

nobody has done that to an opposing QB for that prolonged a play in garbagetime

and geez, the Steelers were meeting up with them again in a handful of weeks to perform a little more discreet payback

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Look, as far as I understand, trash talk is pretty common on a football field.  If mommas and sisters and wives are fair game, I think it would be naive to think that racial slurs don't come into it.

I didn't put my spikes away until I was almost 40 and in all those years I only ever heard one white guy drop an N-bomb on somebody. That guy got cracked on the head by one of his own teammates (who were all white guys) and never played another game for that club again.

The funny thing about it was that he said it to to my Mike 'backer whose response was "I'm not even black, I'm Hawaiian you dumb #uck" :lol:

Which was perfect cuz the entire defense (which was all black guys except me and the Mike) started howling and it instantly defused a dangerous situation.

• Haha (+1) 2