Myles Garrett Still Claiming Racial Slur

H2o

10 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Edited to add: An important piece of info many might not be aware of is that In the locker room immediately after the incident Garrett was livid about Rudolph dropping the N word on him.  This wasn’t something that an agent came up with later.

Where did you find this piece of info at?  Just curious as this is the only time I have seen reference to Garret claiming it right after the event. 

I actually think the opposite, if the NFL had it on a mic, they could immediately come forward, throw Mason out of the league and forever be emboldened as a true equality force in this country and drawing a firm line on racism on the workplace.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

First off let me be clear in saying that in no way shape or form does it justify his actions.  But Garrett was mic’d up for that game and there were field mics everywhere, yet no audio has been released or leaked.  If it didn’t happen it could’ve been easily disproved.  To me it looks like the NFL locked down an exceptionally bad PR situation.

A lot of things about this situation could’ve been a lot worse.  Garrett could’ve connected with that helmet swing with horrifying consequences.  But beyond Rudolph’s serious injury and Garrett’s lifetime ban it’d have ended there.

Now instead imagine the situation as it stood (no serious injuries) and audio of Rudolph dropping the N word on Garrett getting leaked.  The media storm, protests and backlash would’ve been massive.  Alienation of substantial demographic groups of fans and real damage to the shield.

Again, the allegations would’ve been very easy to disprove and there’s only one reason that’s not happening.

Edited to add: An important piece of info many might not be aware of is that In the locker room immediately after the incident Garrett was livid about Rudolph dropping the N word on him.  This wasn’t something that an agent came up with later.

You really think the Steelers, with Mike Tomlin as HC, would really want to hang onto the guy enough that they'd help the NFL cover this up?  Because they would have had to have helped if what you're saying is even remotely close to accurate.  Which it isn't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

In Garrett's post game interview he never mentioned a racial slur by Rudolph.  He seemed rather subdued during it.  To me, this is very telling.  He didn't have any time to process what happened or the ramifications of his actions before the post game interview. Only days later, did he process everything and understood the ramifications of his actions, were we to hear his racial slur justification.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

In Garrett's post game interview he never mentioned a racial slur by Rudolph.  He seemed rather subdued during it.  To me, this is very telling.  He didn't have any time to process what happened or the ramifications of his actions before the post game interview. Only days later, did he process everything and understood the ramifications of his actions, were we to hear his racial slur justification.  

Yep. In fact it didn’t come out until a week later:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-finds-no-evidence-to-support-myles-garretts-appeals-claim-that-mason-rudolph-used-racial-slur/amp/

and apparently Rudolph’s teammates were pissed about the accusation:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/11/21/mason-rudolph-racial-slur-allegations-myles-garrett-appeal-browns-steelers-fight/stories/201911210165

26 minutes ago, metbill said:

Where did you find this piece of info at?  Just curious as this is the only time I have seen reference to Garret claiming it right after the event. 

I actually think the opposite, if the NFL had it on a mic, they could immediately come forward, throw Mason out of the league and forever be emboldened as a true equality force in this country and drawing a firm line on racism on the workplace.  

I’m from Cleveland.  People around the team were talking about it that same day.  I think the NFL wants to avoid the PR nightmare.  No way do they even admit it happened. 

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I have been called both a “cracker” and “*****” while playing football and basketball.

I never got into a fight about it.

You’re not this ignorant are you?  I hope not.  No slur is ok.  But if you are comparing the two, it’s absolutely insane.

and I have no idea what happened.  Neither does anyone else so it’s completely garbage to pretend like you do.  Every scouting report on Garrett is that he was a super mild mannered dude who might love art more than football.  

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Perhaps, but maybe I’m old fashioned or something—to me it reeks of justifying an unjustifiable act.

Maybe Rudolph said that; maybe he didn’t. I’d like to believe someone would’ve corroborated it, though nobody had denied it either.

For me, contrition is the way to gain forgiveness. A simple “I lost my mind out there and have no excuse. I hope in time everyone will forgive me” would’ve been sufficient.

I made it clear that I agree with that.  How about this as a takeaway for Garrett: How about next time don’t do something that could’ve been unforgivable in retaliation to a slur?  Then maybe people can focus on the slur you were called and the guy who called you it rather than your much worse response.

As for pushing the issue of the slur, there’s no way that was happening during the indefinite suspension.  Had Garrett done so I am positive that he’d still be suspended.  In fact I’m surprised he brought it up again.  It might not help him in the future. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You’re not this ignorant are you?  I hope not.  No slur is ok.  But if you are comparing the two, it’s absolutely insane.

and I have no idea what happened.  Neither does anyone else so it’s completely garbage to pretend like you do.  Every scouting report on Garrett is that he was a super mild mannered dude who might love art more than football.  

No slur is ok but there's definitely a ranking system?  You have no idea what happened but because Garrett is mild and loves art he's probably not lying?

I think in order to be the most fair and move forward on issues like this - we should start with all slurs are bad and are equally offensive.  Then we'll at least have a baseline.  If we say some slurs are worse than others - we'll never fix things.  Especially if we are going to say people are insane and ignorant because the slur used on them isn't the same.  

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

No slur is ok but there's definitely a ranking system?  You have no idea what happened but because Garrett is mild and loves art he's probably not lying?

I think in order to be the most fair and move forward on issues like this - we should start with all slurs are bad and are equally offensive.  Then we'll at least have a baseline.  If we say some slurs are worse than others - we'll never fix things.  Especially if we are going to say people are insane and ignorant because the slur used on them isn't the same.  

I literally said I have no idea what happened and neither than you.  It’s just based on scouting reports, this is completely out of character.  If it’s a guy like Burfict, RI, etc, it seems a little more understandable.

and again, no slur is ok. But am I really talking to a grown person who is downplaying the significance and history of the n word?  Where did you grow up?

It's all on video in slow motion. Don't see Mason Rudolph calling him the N-word. He definitely uses the B-word though. Myles is lying. I mean, how could nobody have heard it but him? Did Mason come whisper it in his ear while blocking his face from cameras?

he's making this whole thing worse.  he swung a helmet big deal. he lost his mind in the moment.  are we supposed to believe that mr who is a statue and has gotten sacked like a thousand times suddenly made the comment this time?  doesn't make sense.  myles just needed to let this die and nobody would remember. didn't beat a women, not roids, not drugs, not rape, he just went nuts and swung a helmet. you look back and it's funny.

14 minutes ago, Dopey said:

It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for.

Well that certainly is true.  Small dogs bark the most.  Big dogs just bite. 

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's all on video in slow motion. Don't see Mason Rudolph calling him the N-word. He definitely uses the B-word though. Myles is lying. I mean, how could nobody have heard it but him? Did Mason come whisper it in his ear while blocking his face from cameras?

And if he is lying, I think he should be suspended again.  I can’t believe there is no audio given how mic’ed up everything is now.

and if I’m MR and didn’t say it, why won’t he sued for libel?

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Cant say if hes lying or not... all of us can judge what appeared as mason trying to rip off Myles' helmet first, then what ensued after that is all on Garrett.  

Can say based on observing Rudolph's behaviour during games, his interviews, and general "average" at best play....im glad buffalo didnt draft him

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Cant say if hes lying or not... all of us can judge what appeared as mason trying to rip off Myles' helmet first, then what ensued after that is all on Garrett.  

Can say based on observing Rudolph's behaviour during games, his interviews, and general "average" at best play....im glad buffalo didnt draft him

The nut shot, helmet twisting and going after Garrett after he was locked up with DeCastro should’ve led to a suspension for Rudolph too.  It doesn’t forgive the helmet swing, but it should’ve been more than a $50k fine. 

• Like (+1) 1