Myles Garrett Still Claiming Racial Slur

H2o

In a sit down interview with Mina Kimes he's still using the racial slur argument. I don't buy it. This is a guy trying to find a way to repair his image and justify his actions. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02/myles-garrett-mason-rudolph-called-him-a-stupid-n-word-he-tells-espn.html

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I said at the time that claiming this was his best option. I don’t know if it happened or didn’t; I wasn’t there. However, this was CLEARLY his best avenue for sympathy and forgiveness. 

It's a last ditch effort to shift the narrative and play off of something he knows the American public is susceptible to. Not to mention he comes out with it days after the fact because he realized the punishment that would likely come down. I believe Rudolph started it by trying to pull Garrett's helmet off while they were on the ground, but I don't buy the slur for a second. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I said at the time that claiming this was his best option. I don’t know if it happened or didn’t; I wasn’t there. However, this was CLEARLY his best avenue for sympathy and forgiveness. 

This may be true, however no one on the field is backing him up so now he comes across as a liar on top of everything else.  His credibility is sinking fast.  Enough time has gone by, he should let the dust settle and look forward imo.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Perhaps, but maybe I’m old fashioned or something—to me it reeks of justifying an unjustifiable act.

Maybe Rudolph said that; maybe he didn’t. I’d like to believe someone would’ve corroborated it, though nobody had denied it either.

For me, contrition is the way to gain forgiveness. A simple “I lost my mind out there and have no excuse. I hope in time everyone will forgive me” would’ve been sufficient.

• Like (+1) 9

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Tiger.  Is that you?

And the whole woo tang clan....

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

They're too busy because they started the Corona virus.

Fer shizzle... I always wanted to say that... ala Dave Chappell and the racial draft...

Edited by Don Otreply

50 minutes ago, H2o said:

It's a last ditch effort to shift the narrative and play off of something he knows the American public is susceptible to. Not to mention he comes out with it days after the fact because he realized the punishment that would likely come down. I believe Rudolph started it by trying to pull Garrett's helmet off while they were on the ground, but I don't buy the slur for a second. 

50 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

This may be true, however no one on the field is backing him up so now he comes across as a liar on top of everything else.  His credibility is sinking fast.  Enough time has gone by, he should let the dust settle and look forward imo.

49 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Perhaps, but maybe I’m old fashioned or something—to me it reeks of justifying an unjustifiable act.

Maybe Rudolph said that; maybe he didn’t. I’d like to believe someone would’ve corroborated it, though nobody had denied it either.

For me, contrition is the way to gain forgiveness. A simple “I lost my mind out there and have no excuse. I hope in time everyone will forgive me” would’ve been sufficient.

Just to be clear I’m not condoning this if it didn’t happen. All that I am saying is that this was a smart PR play. We will never know the truth but some people will be on his side by playing this hand. It is troubling and damaging if it isn’t true. Rudolph should have sued him for slander to clear his own name. It’s a bad situation all around. My whole point was that it is difficult to get anyone to feel bad for you when you hit a guy over the head with a helmet. If you claim racism some people will look at it as “justifiable homicide” instead of just homicide. I’m not saying it’s right but from a PR standpoint it worked. It backed the NFL into a corner somewhat, Rudolph into a corner and gained some sympathy for Garrett. He didn’t have a lot of options and this sort of worked in that he is already reinstated.

It is a little like the Justin Fields situation at UGA (although that was documented). He wanted to transfer because he was going to (wrongly) sit behind Fromm for another year. When the baseball player called him the n-word he was going to get cleared in the transfer portal. The NCAA didn’t want to be culpable. In some ways that’s what Garrett tried to do. This was him “playing offense.” I 100% agree with @H2o in that he played off something America is susceptible to. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

His PR group did some digging. They found out Mason leans right and figured they could use that as Myles’s motive to his outrageous behavior. Garrett didn’t make this claim until the reports of Rudolph and his team possibly filing charges against Garrett which was a few days later. I mean, why didn’t he say that day?! I wish this ***** story would die. 

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Not one player or official can confirm this

Give it up

First off let me be clear in saying that in no way shape or form does it justify his actions.  But Garrett was mic’d up for that game and there were field mics everywhere, yet no audio has been released or leaked.  If it didn’t happen it could’ve been easily disproved.  To me it looks like the NFL locked down an exceptionally bad PR situation.

A lot of things about this situation could’ve been a lot worse.  Garrett could’ve connected with that helmet swing with horrifying consequences.  But beyond Rudolph’s serious injury and Garrett’s lifetime ban it’d have ended there.

Now instead imagine the situation as it stood (no serious injuries) and audio of Rudolph dropping the N word on Garrett getting leaked.  The media storm, protests and backlash would’ve been massive.  Alienation of substantial demographic groups of fans and real damage to the shield.

Again, the allegations would’ve been very easy to disprove and there’s only one reason that’s not happening.

Edited to add: An important piece of info many might not be aware of is that In the locker room immediately after the incident Garrett was livid about Rudolph dropping the N word on him.  This wasn’t something that an agent came up with later.

Edited by BarleyNY