2020 QB Market

dayman

16 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Barkley and Allen is fine. Case closed.

This was the thinking for the longest time... Don't need to keep trying to get better. No they should maybe draft a guy they think could be something. What else you gonna get from Barkley, his Jets game is long gone. Let's keep trying to get better at every position.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Augie said:

Of course, we can have differing opinions, and I didn’t mean to throw a wet blanket on things out of the gate. It’s just too soon to be questioning the long term prognosis for Allen. Anyone viewed as a threat for the starting position undermines his status as our future. Could we upgrade over Barkley? Sure, if the right situation arises and it won’t disrupt the QB room. 

JMO

Yet our coach and players say on a regular basis that they compete with each other at practice and the competition makes them stronger.  Why should this philosophy not also apply to the QB position?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Yet our coach and players say on a regular basis that they compete with each other at practice and the competition makes them stronger.  Why should this philosophy not also apply to the QB position?

It should for most teams including the bills

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 11:37 AM, hjnick said:

CorkScrew was pretty much how I was thinking about this topic.

1. Josh Allen is our starter.  We do not need anyone else behind him 'to be ready'.  We will live and die with this production.

2. How much at a minimum are you going to pay your BACKUP QB?  Nobody on that list is going to get less than 25MIL to play.  So you basically want to suck up 25MIL for a QB that's going to sit on the bench!

3. Barkley's cap hit this year is 2MIL.  He is a capable backup.

4. Let's use that 25MIL somewhere where's it actually needed... anywhere but QB...

I never understood the logic of cheaping out on the backup QB position. Is it not the most important position in sports? If Josh Allen gets hurt and Matt Barkley starts the majority of games in 2020 the Bills will have a lost season. 

I get where you are coming from but 0% they are bringing someone in to “challenge” their young QB whose been progressing with size-able steps in his first 2 years.  He just put up the 2nd highest TD total in Bills history throwing to a top 3 WR group made up of guys at an average of 5’10” in height, and one of those guys is a fringe player in McKenzie.  And he also did this with multiple rookies making up 9 new faces around him on offense and all the while running one of the most complicated offensive systems in football.  

Quite frankly the last thing a third year QB needs to be doing is looking over his shoulder or having someone challenge him while he’s trying to focus on elevating his game.  

It would make sense at the start of a QBs career where the job just isn’t handed to him.  But going into his third year he has earned the right to be the unquestioned starter.  If he regresses next year, then the following year all bets are off.  But you don’t mess with an ascending QBs confidence right now by looking uncommitted to him and you don’t put another rooster in the hen house for him to be looking over his shoulder at.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/14/2020 at 12:55 PM, hjnick said:

If we can get them for the same price, I don't have a problem with that.  I just don't want to sink more money into QB.  Spend the money at other places.

I would not like spend too much more on a backup QB, but, maybe up to $5 million.  This year and the following year that cap hit would be fine and is a good window of opportunity for us where a back up QB could be the difference in winning the division and/or a first round bye.  

I don’t think Barkley can go 2-2 through an injury to JA.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:19 PM, stuvian said:

given how much Allen runs, Mariota might be the best back up for our scheme

Mariota be a good fit and may be had for  less than some think.  There is a lot of supply this year at QB and a one year deal for Mariota may be a good fit for both the Bills and him.

• Like (+1) 1