2019 NFL rookie report card: Ranking each team's class, 1 to 32

MJS

2019 NFL rookie report card: Ranking each team's class, 1 to 32

By Gennaro Filice and Nick Shook - NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102008/article/2019-nfl-rookie-report-card-ranking-each-teams-class-1-to-32

1) SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: A

2) TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: A-

3) JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: A-

4) NEW YORK GIANTS: A-

5) WASHINGTON REDSKINS: A-

6) TENNESSEE TITANS: A-

7) LAS VEGAS RAIDERS: A-

8 ) ARIZONA CARDINALS: A-

9) NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: B+

10) PITTSBURGH STEELERS: B+

11) GREEN BAY PACKERS: B+

12) DENVER BRONCOS: B+

13) KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: B+

14) BUFFALO BILLS: B

Round 1: (No. 9 overall) Ed Oliver, DT, 16 games/7 starts.
Round 2: (38) Cody Ford, OT, 16 games/15 starts.
Round 3: (74) Devin Singletary, RB, 12 games/8 starts; (96) Dawson Knox, TE, 15 games/11 starts.
Round 5: (147) Vosean Joseph, LB, 0 games/0 starts.
Round 6: (181) Jaquan Johnson, S, 13 games/0 starts.
Round 7: (225) Darryl Johnson, DE, 16 games/0 starts; (228) Tommy Sweeney, TE, 6 games/1 start.

Filice: Falling into the Bills' lap at No. 9 overall, Oliver was widely regarded on draft night as the steal of the first round. And in the season-opening win over the Jets, he provided the type of interior disruption that validated the hype, recording five pressures and a QB hit. But he struggled over the next couple months and lost his starting job at midseason. To his credit, Oliver offered his most consistent play as a rotational piece in the second half of the season -- racking up four sacks during one three-game stretch -- and it's not hard to imagine a breakthrough Year 2. Thus far, Singletary has actually proven to be the biggest steal of Buffalo's rookie class. After dealing with a hamstring injury in September and splitting carries with the ageless Frank Gore in the first half of the season, the elusive rookie really came on down the stretch, eclipsing 600 yards rushing in his final eight regular-season games. Ford started 15 games, spending the vast majority of his time at right tackle, but the results were underwhelming, rekindling the question that plagued him prior to the 2019 draft: Would he be better served playing guard? Knox wasn't the steadiest producer over the course of the season -- which is nothing to be alarmed about, as tight end is one of the NFL's slowest-developing positions -- but he flashed enticing playmaking ability, most notably on a beastly 49-yard catch-and-run against the Bengals at a key point in the Week 3 win.

Of note:

23) MIAMI DOLPHINS: B-

31) NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: D+

32) NEW YORK JETS: D

So what do you think of the ranking? I personally think the Bills are a little low, but can't argue too strongly that we should be higher. This was the type of draft, I think, that will prove in the long run to be strong and after a few years it will be considered better. Also interesting to see our AFC East mates ranked so low.

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This constitutes a good draft class?

I literally can't imagine by what metric one would judge the quality of a draft class, other than how many guys make the team and how much they contribute.

How would YOU rank the quality of a draft class, mighty one?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Would have been much different if Ed Oliver came out and dominated like many thought he could. He played well I think, especially down the stretch, but probably didn't turn a lot of national heads. If he comes out next year and starts playing to his potential, this Bills draft will increase in perception big time nationally, especially since Singletary should be a full time starter next year.

Bills fans are so scarred from having dismal drafts that a middle of the pack draft feels like something that only a football Einstein could ever pull together.  

I think that main think to note is most teams have decent drafts. 

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would have had the Bills class a little higher. 4 starters on a playoff team and a couple of more contributors. That feels like a good class.

Not sure Ford starts the whole year if that other RT stays healthy.

Also, this idea that anybody who starts on a playoff team isn’t a negative asset by definition is kinda crazy. Zay Jones started on the 2017 playoff team, was he good?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

I think that a B grade is probably about right, given the production that we got.  But to think that there's that many teams that nailed it with an A or a B+ is probably a little bit of grading on a curve

Yeah. Every team that had a rookie QB show promise got a big boost: NYG, Jax, ARZ, Den.... 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. At this point Ford just looks like a bad reach. 

It’s early, but considering the WRs they passed up it’s a frustrating pick.

In hind sight. You can't call it a bad reach when he was projected first round. You are altering history with this take.

2 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I think that a B grade is probably about right, given the production that we got.  But to think that there's that many teams that nailed it with an A or a B+ is probably a little bit of grading on a curve

Yes. Miami is 23rd with still a B-. They need to be more harsh. Unfortunately they can't because there are too many unknowns after a single season, so giving a B grade is like saying "we don't have a clue how this class will turn out".

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I literally can't imagine by what metric one would judge the quality of a draft class, other than how many guys make the team and how much they contribute.

How would YOU rank the quality of a draft class, mighty one?

well, making the team and playing isn’t a great standard. 

making the team and playing well is a much better standard.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. At this point Ford just looks like a bad reach. 

It’s early, but considering the WRs they passed up it’s a frustrating pick.

Ford ws NOT a bad reach

Our entire offensive line was a disaster the year before to include our guard spots.....we were jucky that Spian and Jon F. ended up being good and Ford (who is not a lock to stay at RT) was not needed at the OG spot

As a OG.....Ford is a stud.....if he fits ANY OL position then it is not a bad pick.

• Like (+1) 1