Was Kurt Cobain (Singer) Murdered??

LeviF

34 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I'll admit I overstated it, I was just not a fan. Never saw the big deal about Cobain and his style.

I am probably in the minority on this one, and if I am so be it. Just didn't get into it, that's all.

You're certainly not alone.  I've spoken to plenty of people who feel the same way.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Maybe Seattle is very different than Portland, OR (where I live), but what you wrote does not reflect the reality that I experience here, weather wise. Maybe things have changed with global warming, but what you describe is like a caricature of the actual weather of the pacific northwest. What you're describing is what we jokingly swear up and down to outsiders that we have in order to keep them from moving here.

On the contrary, I have found the pacific northwest to have some of the most beautiful, mild, and temperate weather that I have ever experienced. Not having a real winter helps, too. MAYBE two days of minor snowfall all winter long. This year, we had none. I find that this region is sunnier and more enjoyable and less depressing weather wise than western New York, where I grew up. Just my opinion.

Alas, I can't dispute the fact that there are huge problems with addiction and suicide here. That much is true. The weather stuff, though? Poppycock and balderdash. 

Ever heard of the Puget Sound Convergence zone?  It's Seattle's version of Lake effect snow.

The Pacific Low pressure weather systems come in off the Pacific, and when they reach the Olympic Mountains, tend to split.  Some energy ends up entering around Everett WA and some runs in over the Olympia WA area.  It's difficult to forecast how much energy will go in which direction but they tend to "converge" in the Seattle/Tacoma areas, hence the drizzle & fog.   Olympia gets much more fog than Seattle because of their location relative to the Olympics.  Frequently this convergence is accompanied by temperature inversions.  That causes all the pollution/fog/smoke etc. to get trapped between the ground and the base of the system.  When that happens, mostly winter, December is worst, they cam have fog for weeks at a time.  Always seems to hit around the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons causing problems with the holiday travel.  During the temp. inversions King County has a "burn ban."  When that's in effect you can't use your wood burning fireplace unless it's your only source of heat.  Get caught, get fined $$.

Washington is not called the Evergreen State for nothing.  Everything gets plenty of precip., much more frequently during all the seasons except Summer.  It's evergreen between the coast and the Cascade Mountains.  E of the mountains it's mostly dry high desert till you get to the Idaho panhandle.

Can't comment on Portland, never lived there.  Balderdash????

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Ever heard of the Puget Sound Convergence zone?  It's Seattle's version of Lake effect snow.

The Pacific Low pressure weather systems come in off the Pacific, and when they reach the Olympic Mountains, tend to split.  Some energy ends up entering around Everett WA and some runs in over the Olympia WA area.  It's difficult to forecast how much energy will go in which direction but they tend to "converge" in the Seattle/Tacoma areas, hence the drizzle & fog.   Olympia gets much more fog than Seattle because of their location relative to the Olympics.  Frequently this convergence is accompanied by temperature inversions.  That causes all the pollution/fog/smoke etc. to get trapped between the ground and the base of the system.  When that happens, mostly winter, December is worst, they cam have fog for weeks at a time.  Always seems to hit around the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons causing problems with the holiday travel.  During the temp. inversions King County has a "burn ban."  When that's in effect you can't use your wood burning fireplace unless it's your only source of heat.  Get caught, get fined $$.

Washington is not called the Evergreen State for nothing.  Everything gets plenty of precip., much more frequently during all the seasons except Summer.  It's evergreen between the coast and the Cascade Mountains.  E of the mountains it's mostly dry high desert till you get to the Idaho panhandle.

Can't comment on Portland, never lived there.  Balderdash????

Thank you for that post. I had actually not heard of the Convergence zone. That was very educational. Perhaps Oregon and Washington are more different than I think, in terms of weather. Mea culpa. 

Balderdash is a fun word, I think. I'm trying to bring it back. No good?

Edited by Logic

On 2/21/2020 at 6:28 PM, Gugny said:

This makes me sad, Mark!  I'm interested to know why you feel this way.  I think "rock" is a huge umbrella (not as huge as the rock and roll hall of fame thinks it is) and I consider Cobain's contribution as being one who helped create a new era/generation of rock.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:20 PM, Mark Vader said:

I'll admit I overstated it, I was just not a fan. Never saw the big deal about Cobain and his style.

I am probably in the minority on this one, and if I am so be it. Just didn't get into it, that's all.

I believe Kurt Cobain and Nirvana killed Hair Metal/Glam rock.  The hair metal bands really started going away after 1991, by 1994 their heyday was over.  Nirvana, along with Pearl Jam (who I can't stand) did usher in grunge.  My biggest problem with grunge was it was just a fad and short-lived, leaving a void that was filled by hard core rap, which I hate more than Pearl Jam.

Edited by Happy Gilmore
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/21/2020 at 7:11 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

E of the mountains it's mostly dry high desert till you get to the Idaho panhandle.

I thought it more of a "Ladle handle." ???

We took our honeymoon in Seattle, June of 1994... Had two full days of crystal clear Mt. Rainier days...  Friends we were with there said that was unusal.  Then moved on to Victoria, BC... Which is out of that convergence zone... Victoria, absolutely gorgeous... Then through the heart of BC on to Alberta, Jasper, Banff... Then back through the arid part of WaState... Via Yakima... To Seattle-Tacoma.  Don't think it rained once the whole two weeks.

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I believe Kurt Cobain and Nirvana killed Hair Metal/Glam rock.  The hair metal bands really started going away after 1991, by 1994 their heyday was over.  Nirvana, along with Pearl Jam (who I can't stand) did usher in grunge.  My biggest problem with grunge was it was just a fad and short-lived, leaving a void that was filled by hard core rap, which I hate more than Pearl Jam.

Nirvana was always a band whom I didn’t like but respected their place in music until the ‘Your Favorite Band Sucks’ podcast really hammered home my dislike for Cobain and the band.

A solid listen unless you really love Nirvana, then you might be a little bummed afterwards.

I read a detailed story about it not long after it happened. I can't remember where the article was, but I do remember that it was Courtney Love who supposedly orchestrated it. Only God knows. Kurt was a heroin addict, with a lot of personal issues going on, so the suicide label was an easy one to pin. 

16 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

100%  agree.  One of the most overrated bands in the history of music. So many better bands that came from that era.

8 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Have no clue how he did but I am sure the Smashing Pumpkins ended up with some of his songs.  Courtney dated Billy Corgan as well.  Try and tell me Bullet with Butterfly Wings iant a Nirvana song.

Not to mention, every Hole hit.

If I may:

Yes. I think his old lady either killed him herself, or had him killed.

As to the music: Nirvana wouldn't be anything without the Melvins. Have a listen sometime, it's like any riff of any worth that Nirvana ever used was first created by the Melvins, who IMO were THE superior band from Seattle, with Soundgarden a distant second. Pearl Jam is trash.