good Joe B review of Allen's 2019 progress (vs 2018)

On 2/13/2020 at 2:31 PM, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm thinking that Allen choked a bit in the 4th quarter as the Texans cut the Bills lead.  And this isn't surprising in the least given that it was Allen's FIRST playoff game and it was on the road to boot.

I think we tend to underestimate just how damaging the defense giving up that 75 yard TD drive AND a 2 point conversion really was.  All of a sudden the game goes from the Bills having a commanding lead to a one score contest.  At that point Allen tries to do to much, fumbles and he's clearly shaken.  What I like though is that he got his act together late and led us to a tying FG and was driving us towards the winning score in OT.  Allen played well, if a bit chaotic, in those last 2 drives. And this was in spite of being on the road in front of a fired up crowd.

IMO Allen acquitted himself well under the circumstances in that playoff game.

I don't agree we had a commanding lead, but our coaches shared your opinion.

I agree that he choked a bit but I think he started pressing too much to try and get momentum back after our conservative playcalling, trying to sit on our small lead, gave it away.

I give him credit for realizing and stepping up to attempt that.  With time I think his efforts will be wiser and more effective.

It's like the coaching has watched Momento thinking Allen/Lenny can just figure things out in reverse without letting him have any consistency. They are making it way too hard on him to succeed. He needs to tattoo his body to figure out how to play as there is no consistency to the play calling.

In defense of Allen the team hasn't given him an easy way to grow. I don't know how you grow when your coaching has you run a pass-heavy first half, then a run heavy 3rd and a pass heavy 4th in one game and then the opposite the next game, etc..

Mental congruence is huge for execution, and when things were simplified for Allen in the 4th quarter he succeeded far more than he failed.

Maybe we just need to take the simplified offense approach to help the guy.

Edited by BigBillsFan

2 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

It's like the coaching has watched Momento thinking Allen/Lenny can just figure things out in reverse without letting him have any consistency. They are making it way too hard on him to succeed. He needs to tattoo his body to figure out how to play as there is no consistency to the play calling.

In defense of Allen the team hasn't given him an easy way to grow. I don't know how you grow when your coaching has you run a pass-heavy first half, then a run heavy 3rd and a pass heavy 4th in one game and then the opposite the next game, etc..

Mental congruence is huge for execution, and when things were simplified for Allen in the 4th quarter he succeeded far more than he failed.

Maybe we just need to take the simplified offense approach to help the guy.

The Momento/Lenny ref whooshes over my head and I'm not at all sure Allen succeeded in 4th Q because "things were simplified", but overall, on the "simplified offense approach" I think you may be on to something.

When the Bills went to consistent use of the 11 set with Knox and Singletary and a lot of no-huddle, Allen had some of his best games, including several successful deep throws.  I think the basis for this goes beyond anything that happens in-game.  I think limiting the player personnel and play rep count during the week means both Allen and the skill players get more reps with the same guys all week, and that carries into being sharper and more confident on Game Day.

Where the wheels fell off is that neither Singletary nor Knox are all purpose players at this point and when they had to block and to react post-snap to pick up stunting defenders vs. the Ravens, it was a Big Fail.  Hopefully they can take a step, or we can bring in someone who fills that role while they learn.

• Like (+1) 1