A new super mosquito?

RochesterRob

The darn bastages are around even when it is a couple degrees above freezing.  Just killed one sitting at my desk.  I'm not down in the deep south but in the friendly confines of WNY.  Years ago I don't recall a single one during a winter warm spell.  The house is kept at 69-70 and the dehumidifier is run in the basement this time of year.  It kind of diminishes the point of living in the North where you are supposed to get a several month break from problems like that.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

The darn bastages are around even when it is a couple degrees above freezing.  Just killed one sitting at my desk.  I'm not down in the deep south but in the friendly confines of WNY.  Years ago I don't recall a single one during a winter warm spell.  The house is kept at 69-70 and the dehumidifier is run in the basement this time of year.  It kind of diminishes the point of living in the North where you are supposed to get a several month break from problems like that.

I know there is a spindly mosquito like fly........a little smaller than those big male mosquitoes............that will fly around in 35-45 degree buildings where the air is still.    They are harmless.   I assume they need some kind of produce to hatch out of so maybe if you have them you have food in your garage?   Sometimes you will see 4-5 of them buzzing around together.   Never seen massive amounts of them so they seem to be not big reproducers.   I remember looking them up online and seeing what they were but can't remember what they were called.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know there is a spindly mosquito like fly........a little smaller than those big male mosquitoes............that will fly around in 35-45 degree buildings where the air is still.    They are harmless.   I assume they need some kind of produce to hatch out of so maybe if you have them you have food in your garage?   Sometimes you will see 4-5 of them buzzing around together.   Never seen massive amounts of them so they seem to be not big reproducers.   I remember looking them up online and seeing what they were but can't remember what they were called.

Definitely a mosquito and not another variety of insect.  No foods laying around and in particular fruits or soft vegetables.  

i haven't seem any mosquitos since the summer, but this week i found small bugs along the one side of our building.  apparently they're snow fleas.  i've been alive 42 years and this is the first time i've ever seen or noticed them.  

11 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Definitely a mosquito and not another variety of insect.  No foods laying around and in particular fruits or soft vegetables.  

The thing I am talking about is called a "winter crane fly".    

It's a dead ringer for a mosquito and is cool with 35-45 degree weather.

But you might have just had a dormant mosquito wake up.   Maybe he flew in your freezer in the summer and fell out and thawed when you were getting out some freezer burned waffles?

Because we are having an unseasonably warm/wet winter, I expect them to be unbearable this summer.  Along with fleas, and other biting annoyances.

When we lived in Seattle, our house backed up to a "storm accumulation reservoir."  It accumulated run off rain water and, being in Seattle, it got very full during the winter,  That was a perfect breeding ground for mosquito's.  Starting In the spring, we used to see many little grey swallow type birds.  Great to watch, as they flew around the yard, and they were picking mosquito's out of the air.  Never had any mosquito problems, thanks to those birds.  Wish I had a lot of them here, they would be very happy.

34 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Because we are having an unseasonably warm/wet winter, I expect them to be unbearable this summer.  Along with fleas, and other biting annoyances.

When we lived in Seattle, our house backed up to a "storm accumulation reservoir."  It accumulated run off rain water and, being in Seattle, it got very full during the winter,  That was a perfect breeding ground for mosquito's.  Starting In the spring, we used to see many little grey swallow type birds.  Great to watch, as they flew around the yard, and they were picking mosquito's out of the air.  Never had any mosquito problems, thanks to those birds.  Wish I had a lot of them here, they would be very happy.

i have one directly next to my office.  now i'm paranoid about bugs all summer.

1 hour ago, teef said:

i haven't seem any mosquitos since the summer, but this week i found small bugs along the one side of our building.  apparently they're snow fleas.  i've been alive 42 years and this is the first time i've ever seen or noticed them.  

Not sure if it was the same thing but a week or so ago we had hundreds of tiny critters on our back stoop. An hour later when I went to spray the foundation they were nowhere in sight. 

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Not sure if it was the same thing but a week or so ago we had hundreds of tiny critters on our back stoop. An hour later when I went to spray the foundation they were nowhere in sight. 

download.jpg.2346cbcff46ea199fe338eaacdcf20f1.jpghere's what these little ***** look like.  i've only seen clusters of 5-10, but it's been persistent for a few days.  

3 minutes ago, teef said:

download.jpg.2346cbcff46ea199fe338eaacdcf20f1.jpghere's what these little ***** look like.  i've only seen clusters of 5-10, but it's been persistent for a few days.  

Maybe not the same thing. What we had were really tiny and there was no snow. Either way, never thought I'd be spraying for bugs in January.

22 minutes ago, teef said:

but i'm aging wonderfully.  still in good shape, a few gray hairs...i'm getting older guy attractive now.

Image result for bill dauterive

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well the only way to test this is....would Heidi Klum sleep with you if her libido was sky high and you were the only guy in the room?

"I heard my name?"

Image result for heidi klum