Lions possibly looking to move Stafford

Greg S

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s actually not the same as Bo Jackson situation because Bo attempted to play through the injury and that is what ended his career. Bo didn’t know his injury was severe & kept playing on it, causing irreparable damage. Tua had successful surgery in November with full recovery expected and he’s on track for that based on reports. Bo’s career ended from hip fracture/dislocation that lead to avascular necrosis. Tua only had the fracture which was immediately operated on. Again, what the public knows and what the teams know could end up being different and where he is drafted could end up revealing that. 

As this is starting to be discussed out there apparently the cap savings is negative due to dead cap at least this year so probably  won’t happen for $ reasons. But they probably would like to. 

I guess I would want to know how likely the issue is to re-occur...like is the hip permanently weakened so that its more likely to happen again?

5 hours ago, Gordio said:

There is no food for thought here.  As Bill Polian once referenced something similar to the great Jim Kelly "Josh Allen is our Quarterback, if you don't like it you could get out of town."  

Although you live in Tampa so that wouldn't really apply to you.   

Gordio, I didn’t say do it.  I said if you weren’t listening, hear are some points to consider, and I like Josh, but playing an Aaron Rodgers role isn’t the worst thing for him.  I think Josh should develop, but Stafford would be an immediate upgrade in this now league.  I don’t care either way, and to ask me to leave Buffalo is silly.  I guess you’re not tolerant of even the softest opposing position.  Don’t worry, no matter what you say, I will not respond to you as it is childish.  Most posters don’t make things personal.  So enjoy you’re week and have a Happy Valentine’s Day with you’re significant other.

Matt Patricia isn't going to do anything productive in Detroit.   They prize consistency and longevity over results.  

Matt Stafford isn't the problem there.  Much like every one of their vehicles except the F-150, Ford is ruthlessly consistent at making a mediocre product, hiring mediocre FO and coaching talent to ultimately shape a mediocre product.  

I've never seen an organization so committed to being "ok".  

Edited by dpberr

There is another wild A$# rumor making the rounds on Detroit sports talk radio today (take it for whatever that is worth!) that the Lions are talking to the Bills and others about acquiring CB Darius Slay for a 2nd, 5th and another mid-round pick to be named later. Slay is unhappy in Detroit playing for Patricia. A top notch CB, but his contract is coming to an end and he is looking for "elite" money from the Lions. No way the Bills tie that kind of money up with him and give Tre'Davious White the money he will command/deserve.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I guess I would want to know how likely the issue is to re-occur...like is the hip permanently weakened so that its more likely to happen again?

The teams will get all that in the next month. Not sure how much of it will be leaked. a big concern with him injury wise is he has two glass ankles 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Avascular Necrosis. "Death of tissue" due to a loss of blood supply. I haven't seen any mention that Tua had a hip replacement, as Bo Jackson did. If that was the case, Tua can forget about an NFL career, period.

He didn’t. Tua had a hip fracture that was repaired. It was not the same injury Bo had, which was not only a dislocation in addition to a fracture but something he played with instead of having surgery which led to the AVN.

Edited by YoloinOhio

19 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

There is another wild A$# rumor making the rounds on Detroit sports talk radio today (take it for whatever that is worth!) that the Lions are talking to the Bills and others about acquiring CB Darius Slay for a 2nd, 5th and another mid-round pick to be named later. Slay is unhappy in Detroit playing for Patricia. A top notch CB, but his contract is coming to an end and he is looking for "elite" money from the Lions. No way the Bills tie that kind of money up with him and give Tre'Davious White the money he will command/deserve.

People love to talk about what would work for "our team" (getting 3 draft picks for a guy who wants paid and we won't re-sign anyway) without thinking about what would work for "their team" (the trade partner).

Same thing when we talk about acquiring Golladay by trade with a year left on a rookie contract.  Great move for us, crap move for them.

23 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Not the same injury. That's what I thought. Bo's last game was against Cincy, I believe, and everyone expected him to play @ the '90 AFC Championship game in Buffalo.

Yep we thought it was all a bunch of BS..........it didn't look like a bad injury and the details about how bad it was came out long after the season............maybe not until spring training with the Royals.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Ah, the good old chuck and duck.

It’s not as easy as Brady makes it look! It’s all about the continuous follow thru.  Then, of course, you have to start whining if you felt a breeze due a player near you and no flag is thrown. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Aren’t they on the hook for a ton of dead cap if they move him? Not to mention he’s still a very good QB. 

32 million dead cap hit.  This isn't happening.  Could it be a desperate smokescreen to get a team to trade up to #2 to take Tua so Chase Young falls to them at #3?  Possibly.  I think a team trades up with Washington for that #2 spot for Tua regardless though.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

32 million dead cap hit.  This isn't happening.  Could it be a desperate smokescreen to get a team to trade up to #2 to take Tua so Chase Young falls to them at #3?  Possibly.  I think a team trades up with Washington for that #2 spot for Tua regardless though.

Ah!  “Stragedy”, as Curly would say. ?

• Haha (+1) 1