Greg S

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

Lions GM says "fake news"

https://sports.yahoo.com/bob-quinn-calls-matthew-stafford-120132060.html

As with the Kenny Golladay thing:

-Matt Patricia is going into his 3rd year as the Lions HC

-The team was 9-7 (playoffs), 9-7 prior to his arrival

-6-10 in 2018, 3-12-1 last season

In those circumstances, coaches typically want the best chance to win or at least improve their record.  Trading your starting QB and your best WR are typically NOT the path to that chance, especially if it comes with a $32M dead cap hit ($10.7M more than keeping him) that hinders any FA signings.

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It makes some level of sense if they're in love with Tua or Herbert. You hope you aren't picking this high again anytime soon, so you get the future of the franchise while you can. The problem is, the Lions have consistently shown that they are incapable of building a winning team, coaching worth a crap, or utilizing the decent pieces they do have. They're a joke. Does moving on from Stafford, who has definitely done more for winning than anyone else associated with that organization, actually make them a better team? I don't think he's been the problem there the past ten years. 

Actually, especially if you're in love with Tua or Herbert, what makes sense is to hang on to Stafford (and keep the extra cap money they'd lose in a trade).  Make sure Tua, if he's the Man, has all the time to rehab he needs and with either one, give them a "Mahomes year" on the bench.  Use the cap money to shore up your skill positions on offense (Kenny Golladay and Who?) and defense.

Next year, trading Stafford would actually save the team money, while with 2 years under contract he'd still be an attractive "get"

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually, especially if you're in love with Tua or Herbert, what makes sense is to hang on to Stafford (and keep the extra cap money they'd lose in a trade).  Make sure Tua, if he's the Man, has all the time to rehab he needs and with either one, give them a "Mahomes year" on the bench.  Use the cap money to shore up your skill positions on offense (Kenny Golladay and Who?) and defense.

Next year, trading Stafford would actually save the team money, while with 2 years under contract he'd still be an attractive "get"

All good points. Just hope stafford has a good year and boosts his value. 

Watched that Stafford video. 

It's crazy how other teams' receivers can make plays. 

When I watch the Bills, I subconsciously decide whether or not they're going to make the catch as the camera pans to where the throw is going and I see the receiver. If the receiver is NFL open, has 2-3 yards of open field around him with no Db in that frame, and the ball is well thrown, I generally assume that 85% of the time it's a catch. If I see a DB closer than that to the receiver, my prediction drops to about 25% of a successful catch, given a good pass. 

These Lions receivers in that video are making 15 catches a game that my brain would tell me the Bills receivers have, at best, a 25% chance at.

We REALLY need receivers so we can know what Josh Allen actually is. 

Edited by arcane
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There is also a difference between a guy who is committed to winning a guy who truly knows what it takes. I think Detroit, as an organisation, has been woefully short of those people. And maybe Stafford fits into that category.

That's why they hired Patricia and Quinn. Now I don't necessarily think Patricia's a great HC imo but between the two of those guys they have like 7 SB rings w Pats. They were brought in because they do know what it takes, just don't seem able to put it together in Detroit. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

A rare time when I am not on board with your thought process. Stafford is one of those "just good enough" QBs and I dont see how Belichick can change his fundamentals this late in Stafford's career to win a lot. Stafford can be game planned against and BB may not be able to scheme around those limitations. 

As for Detroit, it totally makes sense to move on from Stafford esp from the timing perspective. If they do this correctly, they will hit a period when Rodgers is retiring, Cousins is still Cousins and Bears with a young QB. Detroit can draft a QB high, sign a vet to mentor him and hit this potential window in 2 years.  

I disagree with the first bit but not the second. They can't move on from him it seems for cap reasons this year but there is a logic to it otherwise. They could take Tua anyway, redshirt him and get out of Stafford's deal after next season.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's why they hired Patricia and Quinn. Now I don't necessarily think Patricia's a great HC imo but between the two of those guys they have like 7 SB rings w Pats. They were brought in because they do know what it takes, just don't seem able to put it together in Detroit. 

For sure. They were trying to address their failings... but not sure they picked the right guys to do it with.

51 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Is there a more enigmatic player in the NFL?

I could be wrong about him but I've just gradually developed the impression that he isn't a great competitor.

I was really high on him early in his career and then I remember reading a story about him that kinda' painted him as both not a big details guy about football but a real details guy about the design aspects of his oppulent home.

I'm not saying he's not tough or that he isn't pretty good in 4th quarters...........but I think that you can be those things and still be a "want to win" guy rather than a "committed to win" guy.

Maybe a change of scenery and going to a place where he knows effort will equal results.......like NE.........would change him.    I hope to not find out.

I personally think he's very good but has simply played for a bad franchise. He's truly elevated that team at times. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I personally think he's very good but has simply played for a bad franchise. He's truly elevated that team at times. 

When you look at the great stats that's the only conclusion one can make.............but there is something missing there, IMO.

He has a good track record for 4th quarter comebacks too......... but I wasn't surprised at all when the Lions came into Buffalo with a great defensive gameplan for Josh Allen and still lost.    

I'd be surprised if a team lead by Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger........even Rivers........had come in and lost a game like that to a rookie QB..........it would be memorable..........but with Stafford it's just another W against a losing team.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s always hurt though it seems like. He seems like a great guy and everything and has a lot of talent but something just seems to be missing. 

The Pats* would teach him how to get away with intentional grounding and hone his simultaneous throw&duck move. 

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When you look at the great stats that's the only conclusion one can make.............but there is something missing there, IMO.

He has a good track record for 4th quarter comebacks too......... but I wasn't surprised at all when the Lions came into Buffalo with a great defensive gameplan for Josh Allen and still lost.    

I'd be surprised if a team lead by Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger........even Rivers........had come in and lost a game like that to a rookie QB..........it would be memorable..........but with Stafford it's just another W against a losing team.

The Lions lost that game late because their kicker missed a makeable FG. That's always the story with that team - they always have one or more truly gaping flaws, whether it's no credible RB, a terrible secondary, no pass rush, etc. And when I say flaw, I'm talking worst-in-the-league sort of flaw at an important position/set of positions. It's always something, and that's the curse of that franchise.  They get a truly elite player like Suh and let him walk. I mean, wtf? He was DOMINANT there, and has been excellent since he left. When he left, their excellent 2014 D (11-5 that season; robbed by Pete Morelli in the playoffs on call as bad as the NRC one) goes immediately into the tank. You think the Bills consistently make bad decisions regarding personnel and overall team building, but imagine being a Lions fan. 

And let's not forget their first round drafting. They did manage to get Stafford, Suh, and Calvin Johnson with top-2 selections, but when they draft outside the top two they're either taking duds or guards/centers. It's mystifying. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/draft.htm

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Agree on Stafford, I think he's a solid franchise type QB. I think the Lions suffer from bad luck and questionable coaching more than anything. That roster has a lot more talent than what Patricia has been able to do with it thus far. 

This season was Bevell's first, and he had to deal w injuries to QB1 and RB1 installing his system. I think the Lions are going to bounce back next year in a pretty big way.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

We would be so much better with Stafford. Too bad he's never had the necessary talent or coaching to succeed. Imagine what a QB with a 106 passer rating could do for us! Add a couple more weapons and a couple studs on the OL and we'd be as good as any team in the NFL. I see the Lions are denying this, but that doesn't mean that it isn't true. Just don't let him go to NE.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

I honestly forgot how good Stafford was this year. In 8 games he threw for 2500 yards and 19 TDs and 8.6 yards per attempt.

I noticed.  I think it was 2018, Matt came into camp and he had leaned out.  No more baby fat face, he finally began taking his fitness seriously and the results showed. 

He's only 31.  He and Golloday are going to tear the league up next season.

14 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

We would be so much better with Stafford. Too bad he's never had the necessary talent or coaching to succeed. Imagine what a QB with a 106 passer rating could do for us! Add a couple more weapons and a couple studs on the OL and we'd be as good as any team in the NFL. I see the Lions are denying this, but that doesn't mean that it isn't true. Just don't let him go to NE.

It might be cheaper to just get Stafford's skill players.  I saw some nice plays by the WR's on the video.