Lions possibly looking to move Stafford

Greg S

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Am I completely alone in thinking Stafford would give NE a better chance of winning a Superbowl in 2020 or 2021 than Tom Brady?

Not sure.

Staff makes unbelievably stupid plays at critical times, but his playmaking ability definitely exceeds Brady’s at this stage.

Now, would Staff be able to be as productive with NE’a group of targets and not KG, MLJ, and Hockenson? No idea.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BigBillsFan said:

Stafford is a top 8 QB in the league that isn't easily replaced. To get a top 3-4 QB takes teams decades, sometimes never. If the GM could field a decent defense they would have been contenders this year if Stafford wasn't hurt. He was playing fantastic this year.

He’s always hurt though it seems like. He seems like a great guy and everything and has a lot of talent but something just seems to be missing. 

Just now, BigBillsFan said:

Stafford is a top 8 QB in the league that isn't easily replaced. To get a top 3-4 QB takes teams decades, sometimes never. If the GM could field a decent defense they would have been contenders this year if Stafford wasn't hurt. He was playing fantastic this year.

Furthermore, I fail to see why a HC and GM that are likely on their final chance to field a competent team would want to move their best offensive player.

• Like (+1) 1

Well he’s had a 60% or better completion % for 6/10 years, and close 2 other years.  He has basically a 2/1 TD/INT ratio, and had a horrendous defense and really no running game.

I would consider a trade for the right price and if McBeane are unsure of Allen as they can place him 2nd string for the remainder of his rookie contract, and even tag him a 3rd year.  This means we get a tried and true QB, playing behind a better running game, one of the best defenses in the NFL, and will improve if we draft that battering ram from Boston College, AJ Dillon (6’ / 250 lbs.).  Since Stanford is only 32, he won’t have as much value at 35 if he doesn’t work out, and then go back to Allen.  Hell, not the same, but Rodgers sat for a few years.  I’m not saying do it, but this could get us much deeper in the playoffs as well as a good draft.

Food for thought.

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Am I completely alone in thinking Stafford would give NE a better chance of winning a Superbowl in 2020 or 2021 than Tom Brady?

No you are not alone. At this point in Brady's career Stafford probably does give them a better chance.

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well he’s had a 60% or better completion % for 6/10 years, and close 2 other years.  He has basically a 2/1 TD/INT ratio, and had a horrendous defense and really no running game.

I would consider a trade for the right price and if McBeane are unsure of Allen as they can place him 2nd string for the remainder of his rookie contract, and even tag him a 3rd year.  This means we get a tried and true QB, playing behind a better running game, one of the best defenses in the NFL, and will improve if we draft that battering ram from Boston College, AJ Dillon (6’ / 250 lbs.).  Since Stanford is only 32, he won’t have as much value at 35 if he doesn’t work out, and then go back to Allen.  Hell, not the same, but Rodgers sat for a few years.  I’m not saying do it, but this could get us much deeper in the playoffs as well as a good draft.

Food for thought.

There is no food for thought here.  As Bill Polian once referenced something similar to the great Jim Kelly "Josh Allen is our Quarterback, if you don't like it you could get out of town."  

Although you live in Tampa so that wouldn't really apply to you.   

Edited by Gordio
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 947 said:

Tua had the same injury as Bo Jackson, and we all know how that turned out. I'd have to think it'll have at least some effect on his long-term mobility, but with all the medical advances, who knows.

CJ Moseley had the same injury as well and turned out just fine.

https://tdalabamamag.com/2019/11/19/tua-tagovailoa-can-have-c-j-mosley-like-recovery-from-hip-injury/

A couple of thoughts here:

*  The Lions could do a lot worse then Stafford at QB.  Frankly he is good enough to win them a Super Bowl if their coach & GM can fix the rest of the team.  The Lions issues are NOT about their QB.  Hell, TN made it to the AFC Championship game with Tannyhill at QB and the 49's made it to the Super Bowl with Jimmy G - both of whom are inferior to Stafford IMO.

*  If the Bills brought Stafford to Buffalo I would probably stop being a fan.  Such a move would be so insane that I would question investing time & money into the Bills. The idea that this move wouldn't screw up Allen AND bust the Bills salary cap on a position they already are good at makes such a move absurd on the face of it.  Luckily the Bills are 100% certain NOT to do this.

*  I think there are some Bills fans that just like to have a QB controversy.  They're only happy when they can scream "put Marrangi in" if the QB isn't playing perfect.   

*  The ONLY place that would benefit from the Bills signing Stafford would be 2BD as traffic would explode and the number of threads would increase exponentially!

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

A couple of thoughts here:

*  The Lions could do a lot worse then Stafford at QB.  Frankly he is good enough to win them a Super Bowl if their coach & GM can fix the rest of the team.  The Lions issues are NOT about their QB.  Hell, TN made it to the AFC Championship game with Tannyhill at QB and the 49's made it to the Super Bowl with Jimmy G - both of whom are inferior to Stafford IMO.

*  If the Bills brought Stafford to Buffalo I would probably stop being a fan.  Such a move would be so insane that I would question investing time & money into the Bills. The idea that this move wouldn't screw up Allen AND bust the Bills salary cap on a position they already are good at makes such a move absurd on the face of it.  Luckily the Bills are 100% certain NOT to do this.

*  I think there are some Bills fans that just like to have a QB controversy.  They're only happy when they can scream "put Marrangi in" if the QB isn't playing perfect.   

*  The ONLY place that would benefit from the Bills signing Stafford would be 2BD as traffic would explode and the number of threads would increase exponentially!

I don't think anyone is really suggesting that the Bills should pursue this. It is more just a "news from the league" thread.

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Stafford was playing the best football of his career this past year until the back injury.

Yeah.  He is a far better QB than the Lions deserve.  They’ve wasted his career to this point.  I do not want to see him playing for Belichick.  He’d easily be the best QB in the AFCE if he went there. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Is there a more enigmatic player in the NFL?

I could be wrong about him but I've just gradually developed the impression that he isn't a great competitor.

I was really high on him early in his career and then I remember reading a story about him that kinda' painted him as both not a big details guy about football but a real details guy about the design aspects of his oppulent home.

I'm not saying he's not tough or that he isn't pretty good in 4th quarters...........but I think that you can be those things and still be a "want to win" guy rather than a "committed to win" guy.

Maybe a change of scenery and going to a place where he knows effort will equal results.......like NE.........would change him.    I hope to not find out.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Is there a more enigmatic player in the NFL?

I could be wrong about him but I've just gradually developed the impression that he isn't a great competitor.

I was really high on him early in his career and then I remember reading a story about him that kinda' painted him as both not a big details guy about football but a real details guy about the design aspects of his oppulent home.

I'm not saying he's not tough or that he isn't pretty good in 4th quarters...........but I think that you can be those things and still be a "want to win" guy rather than a "committed to win" guy.

Maybe a change of scenery and going to a place where he knows effort will equal results.......like NE.........would change him.    I hope to not find out.

There is also a difference between a guy who is committed to winning a guy who truly knows what it takes. I think Detroit, as an organisation, has been woefully short of those people. And maybe Stafford fits into that category.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A rare time when I am not on board with your thought process. Stafford is one of those "just good enough" QBs and I dont see how Belichick can change his fundamentals this late in Stafford's career to win a lot. Stafford can be game planned against and BB may not be able to scheme around those limitations. 

As for Detroit, it totally makes sense to move on from Stafford esp from the timing perspective. If they do this correctly, they will hit a period when Rodgers is retiring, Cousins is still Cousins and Bears with a young QB. Detroit can draft a QB high, sign a vet to mentor him and hit this potential window in 2 years.  

• Like (+1) 1

It makes some level of sense if they're in love with Tua or Herbert. You hope you aren't picking this high again anytime soon, so you get the future of the franchise while you can. The problem is, the Lions have consistently shown that they are incapable of building a winning team, coaching worth a crap, or utilizing the decent pieces they do have. They're a joke. Does moving on from Stafford, who has definitely done more for winning than anyone else associated with that organization, actually make them a better team? I don't think he's been the problem there the past ten years.