Lions possibly looking to move Stafford

Greg S

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Bob Quinn calls Matthew Stafford trade talk report false

Posted by Josh Alper on February 13, 2020, 7:01 AM EST

A report surfaced on Thursday morning that the Lions have been talking to teams about a trade of quarterback Matthew Stafford and it didn’t take long for the team to respond to that report.

The response to the report, which stated the team has been having talks for weeks, was a denial from General Manager Bob Quinn.

“100% False!!” Quinn wrote in a text message to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/13/bob-quinn-calls-matthew-stafford-trade-talk-report-false/

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Bob Quinn calls Matthew Stafford trade talk report false

Posted by Josh Alper on February 13, 2020, 7:01 AM EST

A report surfaced on Thursday morning that the Lions have been talking to teams about a trade of quarterback Matthew Stafford and it didn’t take long for the team to respond to that report.

The response to the report, which stated the team has been having talks for weeks, was a denial from General Manager Bob Quinn.

“100% False!!” Quinn wrote in a text message to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/13/bob-quinn-calls-matthew-stafford-trade-talk-report-false/

I guess this report kills the trade rumor. If Detroit is trying to win next season then it makes no sense to trade him.

• Like (+1) 2

They should absolutely look to move on from Stafford.  If you don't have a top 5 QB (which he never was, and never will be), or a young QB on a rookie deal, then you are in the "messy middle" and destined to live in a constant state of purgatory.  You'll never be good enough to reach a conference final, and you probably won't ever be bad enough to get a top draft pick.  

Stafford isn't a bad QB, or a bad guy, but in this day and age, you can't cling to a guy just because you see him as "good" or "good enough"

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I guess this report kills the trade rumor. If Detroit is trying to win next season then it makes no sense to trade him.

They should trade him and draft Tua at 3. He’s been there 11 years and has 0 division titles. It’s a boring team going nowhere. Start over. Jmo 

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They should trade him and draft Tua at 3. He’s been there 11 years and has 0 division titles. It’s a boring team going nowhere. Start over. Jmo 

Is Tua healthy? That injury he suffered this past season looked pretty bad. I know some team will take a chance (Dolphins) on him but how healthy is he?

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Is Tua healthy? That injury he suffered this past season looked pretty bad. I know some team will take a chance (Dolphins) on him but how healthy is he?

Only the teams who have access to his Medicals from the combine will know that. As far as what has been reported so far, yes. 

16 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Tua had the same injury as Bo Jackson, and we all know how that turned out. I'd have to think it'll have at least some effect on his long-term mobility, but with all the medical advances, who knows.

22 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

always has crap defenses.  lions have never been able to get it right. watch the pats trade for him.  i'd like to see him go to a well run team not named the pats and not in the afc. 

If he goes to the Pats they are Superbowl contenders for the next 2 or 3 years without question. 

32 minutes ago, Greg S said:

There’s nothing else the GM can say in this situation.  It doesn’t meant it’s true or false.  It means nothing except that the GM has a clue.

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So I can see the sense in that view. It isn't Stafford's fault as such but start over with a rookie deal QB and cap space is an attractive idea in some senses. 

14 minutes ago, 947 said:

Tua had the same injury as Bo Jackson, and we all know how that turned out. I'd have to think it'll have at least some effect on his long-term mobility, but with all the medical advances, who knows.

It’s actually not the same as Bo Jackson situation because Bo attempted to play through the injury and that is what ended his career. Bo didn’t know his injury was severe & kept playing on it, causing irreparable damage. Tua had successful surgery in November with full recovery expected and he’s on track for that based on reports. Bo’s career ended from hip fracture/dislocation that lead to avascular necrosis. Tua only had the fracture which was immediately operated on. Again, what the public knows and what the teams know could end up being different and where he is drafted could end up revealing that. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I can see the sense in that view. It isn't Stafford's fault as such but start over with a rookie deal QB and cap space is an attractive idea in some senses. 

As this is starting to be discussed out there apparently the cap savings is negative due to dead cap at least this year so probably  won’t happen for $ reasons. But they probably would like to. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

44 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

They should absolutely look to move on from Stafford.  If you don't have a top 5 QB (which he never was, and never will be), or a young QB on a rookie deal, then you are in the "messy middle" and destined to live in a constant state of purgatory.  You'll never be good enough to reach a conference final, and you probably won't ever be bad enough to get a top draft pick.  

Stafford isn't a bad QB, or a bad guy, but in this day and age, you can't cling to a guy just because you see him as "good" or "good enough"

Stafford is a top 8 QB in the league that isn't easily replaced. To get a top 3-4 QB takes teams decades, sometimes never. If the GM could field a decent defense they would have been contenders this year if Stafford wasn't hurt. He was playing fantastic this year.

• Like (+1) 1