Time for school districts to pony up

flaz

I only rode a school bus in the late 60s, and that was always on a Friday, to spend the weekend on Burt Hill. My good friend Steve's father, Cappie, drove bus and owned a dairy farm. Back in that day, nobody wore a seatbelt in a car. We now know that seatbelts save lives. It is time your bus riding kids have the protection they deserve. I realize there was no fatality, but there was much luck involved with that outcome

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/11/us/ohio-bus-crash-video-trnd/index.html

It also means taxpayers will foot the bill, and I have no problem with that 

Edited by fl az fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

What’s a bus? 

I walked to school uphill both ways 

Not to one up you, but my treks involved snow and hailstorms on the round trip uphills...I’m sure there were all manner of wolves and wild boar stalking the trails as well—plus did I mention we used books back then? They were heavy in my Jansport backpack, that’s for sure! :D but prolly helped with the traction needed for my snowshoes 

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I went to elementary school in the 1980s and we had seat belts on our buses. I guess West Seneca was ahead of its time?

(side note: zero kids ever wore them, but they were there)

I also rode buses in W-S at the same time.......and don't remember any buses ever ridden having seatbelts. Perhaps you lived in the "good" part of W-S.....I was a lowly behind-Southgate-Plaza dweller (on Southgate).

There was a news story this week about this situation.  The story indicated that to have seatbelts installed onto school buses would result in a price increase of $8000 per bus.  Yes - you saw that right.  $8000 per bus!!  Neighboring school district has approximately 120 buses.  That's an $960,000 total cost bogey.

Also, there was consternation from bus drivers about what would happen if the bus were to roll over or go into some body of water.

Then, how are you going to make kids put the seatbelts on?  On the other hand, some knucklehead is going to cut the belt and beat some other kid up with the buckle.

Edited by BuffaloBud

54 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Not to one up you, but my treks involved snow and hailstorms on the round trip uphills...I’m sure there were all manner of wolves and wild boar stalking the trails as well—plus did I mention we used books back then? They were heavy in my Jansport backpack, that’s for sure! :D but prolly helped with the traction needed for my snowshoes 

backpack?   You had a backpack?

They gave us large Plastic Bags that would slip out of your hand when your hands got sweaty from the heat, wet from the rain and forget about wearing cloth gloves!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

I also rode buses in W-S at the same time.......and don't remember any buses ever ridden having seatbelts. Perhaps you lived in the "good" part of W-S.....I was a lowly behind-Southgate-Plaza dweller (on Southgate).

Ah, yeah, you West Seneca West kids :nana:

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

There was a news story this week about this situation.  The story indicated that to have seatbelts installed onto school buses would result in a price increase of $8000 per bus.  Yes - you saw that right.  $8000 per bus!!  Neighboring school district has approximately 120 buses.  That's an $960,000 total cost bogey.

Also, there was consternation from bus drivers about what would happen if the bus were to roll over or go into some body of water.

Then, how are you going to make kids put the seatbelts on?  On the other hand, some knucklehead is going to cut the belt and beat some other kid up with the buckle.

Dude, what type of elementary school did you go to?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/13/2020 at 2:18 PM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

backpack?   You had a backpack?

They gave us large Plastic Bags that would slip out of your hand when your hands got sweaty from the heat, wet from the rain and forget about wearing cloth gloves!!!

You had plastic bags!?? Had to carry my books in my arms.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/12/2020 at 8:41 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

There are seatbelts on commercial buses. I never understood why there aren't seatbelts on school buses.

Meh!  Throw those rug rats in there and let the strongest survive.

America is an experiment in social Darwinism anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/12/2020 at 8:15 PM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I’m certain whomevers job it becomes to ensure 100% compliance will be thrilled. 

The "active" rides at Disneyworld have monitors with LED lights that show who's buckled in properly and who's not. You could set the bus to not move forward without 100% green lights. If the kids buckle them and sit in front of them because they don't want to wear them, that's on the kids, not the district/driver.