Tag for Phillips?

BillsMafi$

3 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

16 million for a rotational guy?

No.

Absolutely agree. He’s going to want to get paid good money and we’re not going to pay it to him. He’s a good player but he doesn’t play enough to warrant that contract. 

Our defense is built on a good rotation and paying him would hurt us overall 

The team is worse without Phillips.  It might not be good value but tag him if it keeps him here another year.  There is no way they fill up that $90M bucket this year.  It’s just the owner’s money that you’re saving if you don’t spend up to the cap.  

He also provides some intangibles that would be missed.

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The 2019 Tag Number for DTs was $15,209,000.

Just putting that out there for easy reference.

Keee-yikes!

20 minutes ago, BuffaloFan32 said:

The team is worse without Phillips.  It might not be good value but tag him if it keeps him here another year.  There is no way they fill up that $90M bucket this year.  It’s just the owner’s money that you’re saving if you don’t spend up to the cap.  

He also provides some intangibles that would be missed.

Money that is left over under the cap this year will get rolled over into next year's cap. It doesn't just go into the Pegulas investment accounts.

Agreed the team is a bit worse without him. But not $15 mill worse.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I did listen to the post season presser, went back and listened to it to time-stamp the relevant portion, and accurately transcribed what was said.

I am not press

Feel free to do your own due diligence (I provided the link and the timestamp)

You were actually right, just wrong interview. He did say “some of these guys have earned the right to test free agency”. Now, he didn’t say “all of these guys” so he left some wriggle room there.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/brandon-beane-there-are-good-players-out-here

At roughly the 10:30 mark of the video. 

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

You were actually right, just wrong interview. He did say “some of these guys have earned the right to test free agency”. Now, he didn’t say “all of these guys” so he left some wriggle room there.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/brandon-beane-there-are-good-players-out-here

At roughly the 10:30 mark of the video. 

That's not the interview where he said specifically that Phillips has earned the right to test free agency.  His exact words weren't free agency, they were "open market", and the link and time stamp are correctly given in my post upthread.  He's said similar things about free agency in several interviews and about if we don't sign a player until FA it doesn't mean we won't, but some of the players need to see what offers they get and they completely respect that (words to that effect)

well, here's the link to make it easy

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/223024-tag-for-phillips/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-6381748

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Market value for Jordan Phillips at $6.1M a year sounds fair

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jordan-phillips-16776/market-value/

Yeah. Phillips had a huge year, but my suspicion is that teams are going to be VERY leery of the one year wonder thing. The guy had a grand total of 5.5 sacks in 5 FULL SEASONS prior to 2019. 

I'd love to have him back on the Bills at the right price, and I think it's possible. He may very well end up disappointed if he's expecting a monster deal.

Tag and trade for a guy with his OVERALL track record? Not happening.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, buffalostu2 said:

Wouldn't the transition tag be a better option?

He might be worth more to us than anyone else.

I'm hoping Beane and Phillips have a good enough relationship for the Bills a chance to match whatever offer he gets without having to resort to the transition tag.

Phillips had a breakout year this season, which just happened to be in his contract year.  We're seen these situations before, where a guy plays exceptionally well in his contract year and then reverts to mediocrity.  If he gets the big, multi-year contract he wants from the Bills, we'll be overpaying him for years.  Tagging means possibly overpaying for one year, but keeping his rights while we see if he can keep playing at that high level.

I lovee what Phillips has done since being cut by the Dolphins and joining the Mafia ... let me repeat cut from the Dolphins ... but if can't work out more economical longer term deal .. rather than franchise ..  I'd rather see the $15MM go to the other side of the ball.  Granted we have large cap space .. but not sure we invest $15MM in one year's worth of performance.