Tag for Phillips?

BillsMafi$

19 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Leaving aside the question of the Bills putting a $15M DT tag on a guy who for them, is a rotational player with Ed Oliver.....

.....given what he said in his post-season presser I don't see how Beane could possibly tag Jordan Phillips and retain much in the way of credibility with players.  He said, plain as plain can be, "Jordan Phillips has earned the right to test free agency".

You can't say that on the record about a guy then turn around and slap a tag on him, not if you want to be seen as a straight-up guy.

Edit: the exact words are correctly transcribed below.  Exact words were "earned the right to see what his value is on the market"

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Add this to the long list of "Easier Said by Fans than Actually Done"

With his college numbers and his breakout season this year I could see a team making a trade for him. Obviously not for two 1st rd picks but a 2nd is not outrageous. 

He is very good against the run and show signs of being a 6 to 8 sack a year DT.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He is definitely a tag and trade type player. We might just be looking for a 2nd rd pick.

I don't see that, at all. Likewise I don't see him getting tagged, there just isn't the value in doing it.

While there's always the possibility of 'smoke and mirrors' around this time of the year, Beane's comments regarding guys who have 'earned the right' to find out how FA values them, strike me as being pretty honest.

Phillips could be a classic example of a guy who gets overpaid due to a team having a glaring need, but there isn't a team in the league who would both pay him and also give up a pick, or picks.

What are the deadlines for tagging a player and getting a long term deal done?

IF we tag Phillips, I see it mostly as a way to keep him in our building and have exclusive negotiating rights with him. More so than a tag-and-trade, or tag and pay him 1yr/$16M.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

.....and that should end the talk about that.

I mean, not really. I was actually just putting it up for a reference point.

There are still other options than paying him $16M. We could use it to buy time to work out a long term deal. And "worst case" pay him the tag amount which we can afford with our crazy amount of cap space, and worry about replacing him next year.

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

With his college numbers and his breakout season this year I could see a team making a trade for him. Obviously not for two 1st rd picks but a 2nd is not outrageous. 

He is very good against the run and show signs of being a 6 to 8 sack a year DT.

We hear the fan suggestions every year, but how many tag-and-trades actually happen?

Not a lot of teams willing to give up good draft capital AND have to immediately sign a guy to a high-price deal. Usually only superstars/big names like Clowney.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Leaving aside the question of the Bills putting a $15M DT tag on a guy who for them, is a rotational player with Ed Oliver.....

.....given what he said in his post-season presser I don't see how Beane could possibly tag Jordan Phillips and retain much in the way of credibility with players.  He said, plain as plain can be, "Jordan Phillips has earned the right to test free agency".

You can't say that on the record about a guy then turn around and slap a tag on him, not if you want to be seen as a straight-up guy.

I wanted to get in front of this quickly & show it was Jason L reporting this. "Teams Figure" :lol:. His takes are almost as bad as Manish's (or is it Wyatt?)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/2000211-sports-and-racing-nfl/77557249

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/1/11/14243176/more-on-the-lack-of-credibility-of-jason-la-canfora

image.thumb.png.40cdb0864ba688f029957313eda179f4.png

https://247sports.com/nfl/browns/Board/105323/Contents/This-sounds-more-realistic-Jason-La-Canfora-is-a-hack-71098804/

https://awfulannouncing.com/wwe/jason-la-canfora-fake-wwe-account-ric-flair.html

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yuck. No thank you. Spend that money on a DE that can get home and find me a space eater to split time with Starr. 

We could do both and still have $60M in cap left over.

And Harry is coming back to split time with Star at the 1-tech spot. Jordan rotates at 3-Tech with Ed.

And if you consider both Ed and Harry are on Rookie deals, and Star just took a paycut, it isnt a ton of money to have invested in the Interior DL overall. I'm all for spending in the trenches.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1