Would you give our 2020 1st rd pick to the Lions for Kenny Golliday?

Tipster19

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Please, nobody's mentioning cap hell right now, though we really were in horrible cap shape when McDermott arrived from the Whaley administration.

You don't have to be worrying about an immediate cap hell to advocate spending judiciously.

And that's nonsense that the guy he was referring to was specifically pointing towards having to protect guys like Edmunds and Allen. Yeah they enter the equation but they are very very far from being the only guys that we are going to be concerned with re-signing. Where did Elijah, the guy Scott was replying to, saying anything about Edmunds and Allen, specifically. He's talking about the whole situation, and yes a big contract that will last for years will affect our ability to sign guys now and for years. We're not going to have $90M every year, or at least not unless we spend very judiciously indeed.

Here's his post:

And I greatly disagree with your effort to minimize guys we might be looking to re-sign or extend this year. It ain't just Milano and Dawkins (and no, those two wouldn't break the bank, but they also won't be cheap, particularly Dawkins). It's also guys like Tre' White, like Poyer, like Spain, Levi Wallace, Shaq Lawson, Jordan Phillips. 

When Scott asked Elijah who he was concerned about paying he said: "Edmunds, Milano, Dawkins, Josh, Tre, Poyer, etc. are all guys that are going to need to get paid soon."  Edmund and Josh are getting paid soon?  No, they're not.  Total exaggeration.  Also, the Bills control Tre for another 2 years at minimum. The Bills can pay Dion, Milano, Shaq and give Poyer a bump this offseason and have plenty of money to sign a big FA and add smaller cumulative pieces. Again, the Bills have 1 player on the entire roster with a 10 million dollar cap hit.  Most perennially good teams have 6-7 and the Chiefs have 8.  This miser way of spending is like a guy sitting in bonds for the last 10 years.  Now is the time to go get a  final big piece or two.

3 hours ago, nucci said:

plus they just won a Superbowl

Yeah but can you imagine how much better they'd be if they didn't grab Frank Clark and Tyrann Matheiu and sign them to big deals?  What were the Chiefs thinking?!?!?

Edited by soflabillsfan1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Why? People over value #1 picks, I mean to me Golliday gives this team what it needs/wants at the WR position and unlike a rookie is at least NFL proven. I make a trade like this all day every day. 

I don’t like trading #1s and then signing the player to a mega deal. Don’t think Beane wants to build like that.  I would rather keep the pick and draft a WR and pay 1/4 the price $$$ locked down for 4+1 years.

Edited by wppete

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Why is it a fact that the Bills are “very bad” at drafting WRs?

1 hour ago, Mojo44 said:

What bad receiver did Beane draft?

These are ALL the ones he has  drafted: Austin Proehl, Ray-Ray Mcloud, Zay Jones.  Throw in UDFA's Easley and Foster if you want.  No difference.

Last year, when the Bills were on the clock for their second round pick, AJ Brown, Mecole Hardman and DK Metcalf were all there for the taking.  Beane ran to the podium to select Cody Ford...a guy who might be moved to another spot on the line to see if that's where he might be better used.

So, combining the bums they HAVE drafted and those 3 WRs they passed on in the same round of the same draft (and got Ford instead!)---how else can anyone conclude other than that they are bad at drafting WRs?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

These are ALL the ones he has  drafted: Austin Proehl, Ray-Ray Mcloud, Zay Jones.  Throw in UDFA's Easley and Foster if you want.  No difference.

Last year, when the Bills were on the clock for their second round pick, AJ Brown, Mecole Hardman and DK Metcalf were all there for the taking.  Beane ran to the podium to select Cody Ford...a guy who might be moved to another spot on the line to see if that's where he might be better used.

So, combining the bums they HAVE drafted and those 3 WRs they passed on in the same round of the same draft (and got Ford instead!)---how else can anyone conclude other than that they are bad at drafting WRs?

Beane was hired after the 2017 draft. Give him credit for that if you want, but I would say that there’s absolutely no reason to believe that he’s bad at drafting WRs. 

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Beane was hired after the 2017 draft. Give him credit for that if you want, but I would say that there’s absolutely no reason to believe that he’s bad at drafting WRs. 

Ok then.  In 2 years, he has drafted one WR.  A bust at that.  And passed last year despite many good choices and a position of need.

There's absolutely no reason yet to believe he's any good at drafting WRs.  Only evidence to the contrary.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Ok then.  In 2 years, he has drafted one WR.  A bust at that.  And passed last year despite many good choices and a position of need.

There's absolutely no reason yet to believe he's any good at drafting WRs.  Only evidence to the contrary.

Nope. Zero evidence to suggest he’s not good at it.

There is ample evidence to suggest that he hasn’t prioritized WR in the draft. And no, a 6th round WR that is still in the league isn’t a bust. Nothing to get excited about, but calling any 6th round pick a bust is crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Nope. Zero evidence to suggest he’s not good at it.

There is ample evidence to suggest that he hasn’t prioritized WR in the draft. And no, a 6th round WR that is still in the league isn’t a bust. Nothing to get excited about, but calling any 6th round pick a bust is crazy.

A WR with 5 catches in 2 years is a bust.  How can you argue otherwise. Come on.  He's returned 14 punts and 8 KO's.....in 2 years!  He's not on a roster.  He's on  PS.  That is how Beane has addressed WR in the draft since he got here.

If you need WRs and you don't prioritize the position then you aren't good at drafting them.  It's that simple.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The only one that counts is Jones. The others are late round flyers. Regardless of position they typically don’t make it and that was the case. So, you have a sample of one. Consequently stating that the current administration is bad at drafting wide receivers is not a fact in the least. It is a stochastic, shot from the hip supposition. 

Let’s call it a fact when it actually is one. Given the relatively terrific drafts, I think the current administration get a pass on drafting Jones. He was not a reach, he just didn’t work out. Happens to all teams and I think everyone on the board knows it.

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

A WR with 5 catches in 2 years is a bust.  How can you argue otherwise. Come on.  He's returned 14 punts and 8 KO's.....in 2 years!  He's not on a roster.  He's on  PS.  That is how Beane has addressed WR in the draft since he got here.

If you need WRs and you don't prioritize the position then you aren't good at drafting them.  It's that simple.

What were you expecting from a 6th round WR? Seriously.

And no, not drafting WRs doesn’t mean they aren’t good at drafting WRs; it means that they haven’t drafted them at all. If you want to argue that not doing so has been to their detriment, then I’d agree with that all day.

1 hour ago, Mojo44 said:

The only one that counts is Jones. The others are late round flyers. Regardless of position they typically don’t make it and that was the case. So, you have a sample of one. Consequently stating that the current administration is bad at drafting wide receivers is not a fact in the least. It is a stochastic, shot from the hip supposition. 

Let’s call it a fact when it actually is one. Given the relatively terrific drafts, I think the current administration get a pass on drafting Jones. He was not a reach, he just didn’t work out. Happens to all teams and I think everyone on the board knows it.

What about ones that were already in the league that they gave up a draft pick for? Do they count?

7 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

What about ones that were already in the league that they gave up a draft pick for? Do they count?

Understand. My response was to a post saying that it was a FACT that the bills were historically bad at drafting wide receivers. My response noted that in terms of the current administration you can’t say that at this point. They had one fail. Not a large enough sample size. It’s a supposition at this point.

And, if I understand what you are asking, and no I don’t count it at all. There’s only have to do with wide receivers that they drafted. It has nothing to do with wide receivers that they didn’t draft whether they passed on them or not. I call that the “Mahomes Whine Position”. 

So, again, all I am saying is that it is yet to be determined how good the current administration is at drafting wide receivers.So, again, all I am saying is that it is yet to be determined how good the current administration is at drafting wide receivers.

3 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

He didn't draft Jones.

If your job is to evaluate players in positions of need and you  fail to adequately evaluate them or worse, simply ignore them, you aren't good at acquiring those players at that position of need.  The proof of his inability is that he let 3 good ones get away to pick a dubious O-lineman. 

Your argument is "he CAN'T be bad at drafting WRs....because he doesn't draft any!".  That's not a very convincing argument.  That's akin to saying of a firefighter "he can't be bad at fighting fires, because he never responds to one!". 

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

What were you expecting from a 6th round WR? Seriously.

And no, not drafting WRs doesn’t mean they aren’t good at drafting WRs; it means that they haven’t drafted them at all. If you want to argue that not doing so has been to their detriment, then I’d agree with that all day.

See above.