Would you give our 2020 1st rd pick to the Lions for Kenny Golliday?

Tipster19

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Is Golliday's impact worth giving up a high draft choice and him getting a huge payday?

The answer is no.

The Lions aren't getting rid of Golladay as he's a 26 year old with back to back 1,000 plus yard seasons and 11 TD's last year so this argument is mute.  I'd do the deal in a heartbeat though and give Golladay his money.  You then focus on defense (edge rusher, CB, LB) in the draft to replace some of the players we may lose in free agency in the next few years.

Edited by Doc Brown

I’d trade 22 for Kenny Golladay in a heartbeat IF he agreed to an extension with us.  I’d be delighted for the Bills to pay him.  I get why people shy away from the thought of dropping a 1st (even the 22nd pick) on a player that needs paid soon, but with a player like Golladay you take away a huge amount of uncertainty.  The draft is a crapshoot for even the best GMs. 

Edited to add:  Not that there’s anyway Detroit is trading him.

Edited by BarleyNY

3 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

If Detroit's dealing a WR, I'm guessing it's Marvin Jones Jr., who's 29 and in the last year of his contract.

...why would Patricia looks to trade Kenny now when he''s signed through 2020?......why wouldn't he work on an extension based on the kid's value?.........

I'd consider it, but there are issues that need to be settled before I pull the trigger.  Golladay has one more year on his rookie deal, will likely be due a very pricey contract in one year's time.   That's not a deal breaker by itself, but I'd want to have at least a framework in place for an extension before the trade could happen.  In other words, I'm not going to part with a first round pick unless I have decent odds I can keep the player I get in the trade for several years at a price I think the team can afford.

No chance

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Love Golliday. He looked very good against White in 2018. Doubt the Bills would do it though. Maybe a 2nd and a future early pick would get it done.

Why are you concerned about money? 

2nd might do it for me too.  Not a first.  If he still had a couple years left on his rookie deal, maybe.  He’s a perfect fit for us.  

I’d rather just pay aj green and keep the pick

• Thank you (+1) 1

I believe you want your WR, RB and QB all coming of age and experience right around the same time.  And if you can do it so that their Contracts don't all 'come of age' at the same time you really have something!  If you believe Golliday fits those criteria, I would make that trade.

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Trading a 1 is a move you make when you are a single player away. Beane has already come right out and said we are not a single player away. I don't think we go WR with our 1 rder anyway, we're more likely to go DE if a good one falls. 

If Allen improves, then this team is only 2-3 players away. Two edge pass rushers and an elite WR. I'd agree on DE in the first round but if they got an instant impact WR with a trade I could live with it.

If Allen regresses it won't matter what they do. 

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Trading a 1 is a move you make when you are a single player away. Beane has already come right out and said we are not a single player away. I don't think we go WR with our 1 rder anyway, we're more likely to go DE if a good one falls. 

Wait until UFA is over before you cash that check..RT, TE & true #1Wr away. Depending on what UFA Edges are tagged and what hits the market don't be surprised to see us go here.

The Issue you have is the Allen contract that will be coming due and we will start losing players int he following few seasons. Need to take a smart shot now. If you don't make a move for a WR1 via trade,, going with a teir 2 guy who will take 2-3 years to develop will be a wasted opportunity. I truly hope beane is not that stupid....

17 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No

I mean we didn't give up a 1st & 3rd for OBJ & we will give up a 1 for this guy? get outta here...

6 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I would, the guy could be the offensive game changer that the Bills are looking for. He’s entering his last year of his rookie contract and the Lions will have to make a decision on him sooner or later. Being a Belichick disciple I would think that Patricia isn’t looking to lock up a ton of money on a WR. Pay him now and they might just be willing to give him up. The guy has been in the league and is ready to ball.

F no!!! Trade for Kupp instead

Is he rumored to be available?  If not, then what’s point of thread?  Might as well I start threads about trading for any unavailable player if he’s not.

If he is, then it’s a resounding yes.  You trade the 22nd pick for a young beast of a WR.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, elijah said:

Edmunds, Milano, Dawkins, Josh, Tre, Poyer, etc. are all guys that are going to need to get paid soon.

Hopefully, they all need to get paid. That'll be a good problem to have.

In the meantime, this is a golden opportunity to acquire assets with so many guys on rookie contracts. The good teams work around the cap with ease.

The time to win is now. They've been patient and that's great, but the roster, as currently constructed, is not a SB contender. They're good, but they lack "game changers." Gotta spend money if you want to acquire these guys.

If Golliday is on the block, I'm in. In the broader context, I'd prefer to see them be aggressive in FA'cy in general. Doesn't mean you doll out huge contracts left and right, but the notion of NOT acquiring an individual top flight receiver because of "cap concerns" down the line just isn't a compelling argument. Not for me anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I would, the guy could be the offensive game changer that the Bills are looking for. He’s entering his last year of his rookie contract and the Lions will have to make a decision on him sooner or later. Being a Belichick disciple I would think that Patricia isn’t looking to lock up a ton of money on a WR. Pay him now and they might just be willing to give him up. The guy has been in the league and is ready to ball.

I hate crying football players

Hard Pass

7 hours ago, elijah said:

Last time we valued a super bowl victory over future cap space, we went 8-8 and 7-9 and we’re left in cap hell that set the franchise back 2 years and took 3 years to fully clean up. 

Super bowls are nice and the ultimate goal, but we have a staff that’s valuing sustainability and success at the same time.  They’re showing you can do both by keeping the long-term cap space in the plans, let’s get on board as fans instead of writing it off. 

Do we want to look like the Rams, fall just short in one year and then completely come apart after, or the Patriots who get it done year in and year out? 

I dont know about you, but I think one of these are a clear and obvious choice. 

7 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Bills are building a team that can win consistently for years to come, not throwing everything in for a single year that might or might not work out, only to watch the team dissolve.

There is no such thing as "sustainability" in the NFL.  Roster turn over is a fact of life whether teams are consistently competing in the playoffs or consistently missing them.    Plain and simple, the modern NFL is dominated by teams that figure out how to manage the salary cap, and those are the teams that win consistently, make conference championships, and win Super Bowls.  Only the Buccaneers among Super Bowl winners in the last 20 years  have failed to be a consistent winner.  They have not made the playoffs since 2008.  Only the Falcons have been a consistent winner that has only made the Super Bowl once in the last year, and only the Vikings have been a consistent winner that has failed to make the Super Bowl in the last 20 years.

In the 20 years since 2000, these are the Super Bowl winners:

New England Patriots - 20 winnings seasons - 18 playoff seasons - 13 conference championship appearances - 9 SB appearances - 6 SBs

Indianapolis Colts -  15 winning seasons - 15 playoff seasons - 4 conference championship appearances - 2 SB appearances - 1 SB

Green Bay Packers - 15 winning seasons - 14 playoff seasons - 5 conference championship appearances - 1 SB appearance - 1 SB

Seattle Seahawks - 15 winning seasons - 13 playoff seasons - 3 conference championship appearances - 3 SB appearances - 1 SB

Philadelphia Eagles - 14 winning seasons - 13 playoff seasons - 6 conference championship appearances - 2 SB appearances - 1 SB

Pittsburgh Steelers - 15 winning seasons - 12 playoff seasons - 5 conference championship appearances - 3 SB appearances - 2 SBs

Baltimore Ravens - 14 winning seasons - 12 playoff seasons - 4 conference championship appearances - 2 SB appearances - 2 SBs

Denver Broncos - 12 winning seasons - 9 playoff seasons - 3 conference championship appearances - 2 SB appearances - 1 SB

Kansas City Chiefs - 11 winning seasons -  9 playoff seasons - 2 conference championship appearances -1 SB appearance - 1 SB

New Orleans Saints - 10 winning seasons - 9 playoff seasons - 3 conference championship appearances - 1 SB appearance -1 SB

New York Giants - 10 winning seasons - 8 playoff seasons - 3 conference championship appearances - 3 SB appearances -2 SBs

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 6 winning seasons -5 playoff seasons - 1 conference championship appearances - 1 SB appearance -1 SB

If the Bills don't strive to win the Super Bowl, they certainly aren't likely to become "consistent winners".

Edited by SoTier
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, elijah said:

Edmunds, Milano, Dawkins, Josh, Tre, Poyer, etc. are all guys that are going to need to get paid soon. Adding Golladay to the list doesn’t help, he expires after this season. 

The cap space is nice right now but it doesn’t last forever.  We have a young core with most of our important players on their rookie contracts, these rookie contracts don’t last forever.  Give me a number one who we have cost controlled for 4 years, not a number one with one year left and a $15M+ contract coming. 

Make it even easier then:  who would you rather pay?  Poyer or Golliday?  Sure, there's a difference in price, but for what you're getting, this difference is negligible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Make it even easier then:  who would you rather pay?  Poyer or Golliday?  Sure, there's a difference in price, but for what you're getting, this difference is negligible.

Exactly. And the elephant in the room is that we don't know with certainty that JA will be a guy worthy of that big contract a couple YEARS from now. We just don't.

Unless they acquire enough offensive talent to properly judge the QB, we may STILL not know.

So that's yet another reason to target a guy like Golliday.

And as other's have said, this is a hypothetical scenario because I HIGHLY doubt the Lions move Golliday. I just have no idea why people have become so cap obsessed.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2