Why the Bills should consider giving Tre'Davious White an extension now

55 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I think he's overrated.

Regardless, he WILL be the highest paid CB in the league at some point. The question is when is the best time to do that? Do we take the cheaper years now and then pay the bigger salary down the road under the new CBA? Do you offer him 5 years $75-$80M with $50M guaranteed now instead? It costs you more now but saves you down the road. That’s the debate

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I do but some cats actually like where they’re at. Not saying he does or doesn’t and trying to put my Bills bias aside but we have the potential for something special brewing, especially on the Defensive side.

I would add that some of us are jaded by the past( Byrd, Peters) and might expect history to repeat itself. Tre doesn’t seem like a complete selfish weeney like those two.

I was just saying if it doesnt get done, it doesn't automatically equate to Beane not doing his job or a good job.  We have no idea what Tre and his team are thinking, but its certainly a real possibility they are quite interested in the new CBA for obvious reasons.  

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What's coming with the CBA?

The potential ability to sign bigger contracts.  

• Like (+1) 1

NO NO NO! I've been following the Bills long enough to know you cannot resign a CB. The proper thing to do is have him play out his rookie contract and then let him walk. You can always draft his replacement in the 1st round. By the numbers... we use roughly 3 starting CBs these days so, we should be drafting a CB every other year in round 1. Yep that sounds about right. :wallbash:

• Haha (+1) 2

No.  He is Cost Controlled for 3 more years (this year, next year and then the Tag).

You approach him about an extension AFTER this year.

With the CBA expiring and the rules that come with it, I dont think you see a lot of extensions this year until the CBA is worked out.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

No.  He is Cost Controlled for 3 more years (this year, next year and then the Tag).

You approach him about an extension AFTER this year.

With the CBA expiring and the rules that come with it, I dont think you see a lot of extensions this year until the CBA is worked out.

Yes I agree this is the right approach, also imo important to consider the FO relationship w White is strong enough to float him until both sides are ready

I am 100% he knows he is priority 1 and will be rewarded as such

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sorry dude, but a much more interesting thread would be if you could give reasons "Why Tre White should consider signing an Extension now".

Signing an extension now is pretty much 100% in the team's favor, and a major detriment to the player outside of a (unlikely) catastrophic career ending injury.

Besides the small possibility of such an injury, there is really no reason Tre's camp should consider. And THAT is the major factor into why it isn't happening.

So many posts and threads sounding like all that needs to happen is the Bills to make an offer. That's not the way it works. Two to tango and all that.

Threat of season ending or career threatening injury...

So you sign him now he will be the highest paid CB for a Year until next Top CB to sign a contract. 

you sign him Next year (so he doesn’t play on his 5th year option you get the Highest paid CB for a year then another Contract out does his. 

there is Literally NO REASON for either the Bills or White to do a contract until the new CBA agreed on. 

The 2019 NFL Exclusive Franchise Tag for a CB is 16 million.  The 5th year option will not be significantly lower than that in 2021.

How much higher will the tag be in 2 years?

Signing White to a long term contract EXTENSION (which means he plays for what he is contracted for this year) makes sense.

2020 cap hit will be larger because some of the signing bonus will start to get paid this year but it will help slightly in future years.

If they can sign White to 16.5 per year now DO IT.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was just saying if it doesnt get done, it doesn't automatically equate to Beane not doing his job or a good job.  We have no idea what Tre and his team are thinking, but its certainly a real possibility they are quite interested in the new CBA for obvious reasons.  

The potential ability to sign bigger contracts.  

The ability to sign for bigger contracts comes every year with an ever increasing cap.  I don't expect the owners are going to give up much more in % revenue to players than they did on the last CBA.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The ability to sign for bigger contracts comes every year with an ever increasing cap.  I don't expect the owners are going to give up much more in % revenue to players than they did on the last CBA.

I haven’t followed closely, but everything I’ve seen is that players like Mahomes are better off waiting as the new CBA is expected to create much larger contracts.