Why the Bills should consider giving Tre'Davious White an extension now

It makes sense for him to extend now if the money and years are right. Tre is 25 now and the Bills could technically drag this out so that he wouldn’t get his first big guaranteed contract until he’s 28. That would limit his career earnings as he’d only get one big chunk of cash. By keeping the term to 5 years he could get cash in hand now, injury insurance, and be a FA again at 30 or another extension earlier. That could lead to two large contracts with guaranteed money if he stays healthy and productive. Make no mistake though, if this gets done we’re looking at a market setting contract in one way or another.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

With a new CBA coming the salary cap is likely going to go through the roof. 
   A record breaking contract now will look like a pittance in 2 years. 
   Part of Beane proving his GM- ing acumen is being able to “ see into the future” and make the prudent decisions now regarding that future.

I would sign him now and try to do it at a great but not record breaking level.

You realize that’s a 2 way street right?  It’s not just Beane wanting to, it’s Tre and his team being willing too.  They know what’s coming with the CBA too.

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You realize that’s a 2 way street right?  It’s not just Beane wanting to, it’s Tre and his team being willing too.  They know what’s coming with the CBA too.

I do but some cats actually like where they’re at. Not saying he does or doesn’t and trying to put my Bills bias aside but we have the potential for something special brewing, especially on the Defensive side.

I would add that some of us are jaded by the past( Byrd, Peters) and might expect history to repeat itself. Tre doesn’t seem like a complete selfish weeney like those two.

• Like (+1) 1

Tre or any player for that matter in this situation would want the money now. One ACL and that contract will look a lot different. This is the “set for life” contract and you don’t risk playing another season and possible injuries if you don’t have to. I would fully expect they will work something out. Tre waiting on the new CBA could be a seriously bad gamble 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I do but some cats actually like where they’re at. Not saying he does or doesn’t and trying to put my Bills bias aside but we have the potential for something special brewing, especially on the Defensive side.

I would add that some of us are jaded by the past( Byrd, Peters) and might expect history to repeat itself. Tre doesn’t seem like a complete selfish weeney like those two.

I agree.  Tre seems very level headed too.  He's a family man and signing an extension now (if one is offered) will set him and his family up

for life.  Why take the risk of a few million more down the road.  It will be interesting to see how this fleshes out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Cats? Did not know this was a feline thread. 

Edited by ALLEN1QB

1 hour ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Ralph Wilson came to me in a dream last night.  He said let Tre play out his contract and then franchise him.  

Yup.  Take the 5th year option, franchise hum twice.  That's the cheapest way to keep him for 4 more years.

35 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that we are in the ballpark

Also, another prediction as soon as Tre signs that contract he goes from our favorite player to public enemy number 1. Bills fans HATE highly compensated players.

Yep...I’ll never understand it.

The minute Cordy got paid he was PE1

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I don’t think either of those guys were selfish. They wanted their market value. We were not giving it to them. They had to go elsewhere to get it. It’s the same in every job. If you aren’t being paid what you are worth you will explore your options and someone else will do that. We’ve all done it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yep...I’ll never understand it.

The minute Cordy got paid he was PE1

I really don’t think it’s like that everywhere. It is too a lesser degree but not like us. We legitimately hold it against guys. Mario Williams was a dominant player for a couple of years. There are people on here that have said he is their least favorite Bills player ever. I can’t fathom that!! We’ve had so many bad players!! How can you hate a guy that was a 1st team All-Pro?!?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I really don’t think it’s like that everywhere. It is too a lesser degree but not like us. We legitimately hold it against guys. Mario Williams was a dominant player for a couple of years. There are people on here that have said he is their least favorite eBills player ever. I can’t fathom that!! We’ve had so many bad players!! How can you hate a guy that was a 1st team All-Pro?!?

OMG remember when folks said that they don’t want Clowney because he might be another Mario Williams? ?

Yeah, how dare the guy pop off for 38 sacks and 51 TFLs in his first 3 seasons ?

I’d trip over my own man parts (if I were so endowed) sprinting to pay a guy $20M AAV if I could have those numbers.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree.  Tre seems very level headed too.  He's a family man and signing an extension now (if one is offered) will set him and his family up

for life.  Why take the risk of a few million more down the road.  It will be interesting to see how this fleshes out.

Was just about to post the same.

Brady took a bunch of team friendly deals . He didn’t need to, of all players ever. He’s got enough money.

Someone suggested injuries weren’t a major concern over 2 years as an NFLDB?!?!?

Tre has already played hurt, all players do. Guaranteed ? now that is “ Generational changing”  is a no brainer.

• Like (+1) 1

I can go either way, but there is an implication of Allen’s deal.  Now you can kick the can for one year with the tag for him so three more years, but that 30+ mil contract is coming.  If we can sweeten by a higher than normal guarantee, but now you’ve space out the two big contracts coming and some mid level one like Milano.

We also if not wrong have Poyer and Hyde in two years, so another to consider to keep the best of this band together.  I think it’s a smart move if it can be  agreeable to his camp.  Guaranteed $ as you know is so important they know for sure they’ve taken care of their families no matter what.  Because he’s so young, a five year deal would be optimal.

Just stuff to kick around in the drought period of NFL season.