Why the Bills should consider giving Tre'Davious White an extension now

Why the Bills should consider giving Tre'Davious White an extension now

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/34295/why-the-bills-should-consider-giving-tredavious-white-an-extension-now

The former first-round pick intercepted a pair of passes on Sunday Night Football and stripped Houston Texans receiver DeAndre Hopkins during the AFC wild-card round. White's performance led to a first-team All-Pro pick. He's now known as a Pro Bowler, top-tier cornerback and cornerstone of Buffalo's defense.

He may also be soon known as the highest-paid player at his position.

White is entering a pivotal offseason, during which the Bills can decline or exercise his fifth-year option for the 2021 season -- which projects to be worth roughly $10 million, given his draft position. The decision to exercise the option is an easy one for Buffalo; it's essentially a non-negotiable safety net for teams to keep a player at relatively low-cost.

With a new CBA coming the salary cap is likely going to go through the roof. 
   A record breaking contract now will look like a pittance in 2 years. 
   Part of Beane proving his GM- ing acumen is being able to “ see into the future” and make the prudent decisions now regarding that future.

I would sign him now and try to do it at a great but not record breaking level.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

With a new CBA coming the salary cap is likely going to go through the roof. 
   A record breaking contract now will look like a pittance in 2 years. 
   Part of Beane proving his GM- ing acumen is being able to “ see into the future” and make the prudent decisions now regarding that future.

I would sign him now and try to do it at a great but not record breaking level.

The ONLY way that he agrees to it now is if he’s the highest paid CB ever. I’m totally fine with that. He’s absolutely going to set the market with his next contract. 5 years, $75M with $50M fully guaranteed? That feels like it can get it done 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The ONLY way that he agrees to it now is if he’s the highest paid CB ever. I’m totally fine with that. He’s absolutely going to set the market with his next contract. 5 years, $75M with $50M fully guaranteed? That feels like it can get it done 

I had him at 5/82/52 FWIW

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry dude, but a much more interesting thread would be if you could give reasons "Why Tre White should consider signing an Extension now".

Signing an extension now is pretty much 100% in the team's favor, and a major detriment to the player outside of a (unlikely) catastrophic career ending injury.

Besides the small possibility of such an injury, there is really no reason Tre's camp should consider. And THAT is the major factor into why it isn't happening.

So many posts and threads sounding like all that needs to happen is the Bills to make an offer. That's not the way it works. Two to tango and all that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Why give a big contract to a guy the PFF has ranked as like the 135th best CB in the league?

(sarcasm off now)  Get it done; you say you want to use the draft to get your team put together then you need to keep the All Pros you draft.

• Haha (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sorry dude, but a much more interesting thread would be if you could give reasons "Why Tre White should consider signing an Extension now".

Signing an extension now is pretty much 100% in the team's favor, and a major detriment to the player outside of a (unlikely) catastrophic career ending injury.

Besides the small possibility of such an injury, there is really no reason Tre's camp should consider. And THAT is the major factor into why it isn't happening.

So many posts and threads sounding like all that needs to happen is the Bills to make an offer. That's not the way it works. Two to tango and all that.

Good points!  There are some reasons that players will want to be extended.  Any contract that White signs will pay him significantly more than the fifth year option for that year.  As others have pointed out, his new contract will have some significant upfront money and guaranteed money.  Don't underestimate the value of having millions of dollars a year or two earlier. The reality of injuries is real.  It does not have to be a career ending injury to have a major impact on the future value of a contract.  Some players and agents do subscribe to the bird in the bush philosophy to take what is there when it is there.  IMHO the chances of an early extension are a long shot, but not impossible.

1 hour ago, Conlan93 said:

Sooner you get the deal done cheaper it will be down the road

I think that they should get a deal done on the sooner side but for different reasons. If he's under contract it's less likely that he leaves. As for getting him on the cheap I'm not sure that I agree. If DB salaries take a big jump then I'm sure his agent will call that out and ask for a new deal like so many other players have in the past.

1 hour ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Ralph Wilson came to me in a dream last night.  He said let Tre play out his contract and then franchise him.  

I'm glad I read ALL the threads before saying "I would franchise him for a year once we can, and see where the market stands at that point."

I'm going back to the grave now..........

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that we are in the ballpark

Also, another prediction as soon as Tre signs that contract he goes from our favorite player to public enemy number 1. Bills fans HATE highly compensated players.

You just know there will be a bunch of posts criticizing him and the contract after his first poor play of 2020

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Philo said:

You just know there will be a bunch of posts criticizing him and the contract after his first poor play of 2020

Ha ha, “he mailed it in.” “All that he wanted was a check.” “Now he’s out of shape.” “We should have given that money to Levi Wallace.”

• Haha (+1) 2