Using Spotrac Tool, potential Releases and Solutions

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Good Morning Gentleman and ladies.  So like others I love Spotrac, especially that tool that takes everything into account and changes cap totals and impact on available $.

So this one option, but feel free to do you’re own as I value you’re opinions.  Current cap availability, $82,824,551.

Potentially Released:

1.  Trent Murphy - LB

2.  Tyler Kroft - TE

3.  Lee Smith - TE

4.  TJ Yeldon - RB

5.  Tommy Sweeney - TE

Results would be an additional $9,249,408, resulting in cap space of $91,053,959.

Possible solutions are to add two TE’s in FA, reasoning Edge Rushers and WR will eat up too much cap in FA.  In addition, we can easily replace a RB in the draft.  It’s obvious on the rest as far as the draft with WR’s and Edge Rushers.  Lastly, if J. Phillips is willing to get closer to his Spotrac value of just over $6 mil even if we went to $7 mil, with H Phillips coming back our interior is set.

Thoughts or other releases and solutions if you were Beane?

Mods, I checked the search tool and didn’t see anything similar.

Why would we release a TE who has shown promise and costs a cup of coffee

1 hour ago, nato7412 said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think we should keep TJ Yeldon. Hes a powerful RB (6'1" 225) and he can really catch out of the backfield. Him, Dev and a rookie is plenty IMO. Everyone says he has a fumbling problem but he only fumbled once in 2018 in a full season with Jacksonville.

He may be big but he's not a powerful runner at all. He also fumbled twice on 29 attempts during the preseason and regular season. That's 6 times higher than the league average.

Lee Smith and Yeldon nobody should argue....  Smith came in and mentored Knox, perfect. Yeldon never suited up, why pay him if hes never gonna see the field.  Bills should be better next year, why then would Yeldon have a better chance of seeing the field?

Kroft is a large savings.  I didn't see enough from him to warrant bringing him back.  But then again maybe leadership thinks theres a lot left to be seen and keep him.

Trent Murphys future I think will be determined in FA, if they grab another DE (Veteran), I'd assume they let him go, stay younger possibly with Lawson and grab a Edge DE in the draft.  Murphys future will be obvious, but we gotta wait for FA to happen.  If Lawson is retained, He's gone.

• Like (+1) 1

1. Murphy - hate this guy but as others have said they need bodies at DE.  I'd try to restructure as opposed to cut him. 

2. Kroft - no reason to cut him.  He will be fine paired with Knox. They would need to find another TE elsewhere like Howrd, Ebron, etc and they will cost as much or more

3. Smith - good bye

4. Yeldon - should have been on the filed over Gore.  We all know it but folks on this board keep defending McD's game day decisions.  His contract is not that much.  Keep him as a veteran and add a fourth or firth round draft pick to the mix.  

5. Sweeney - nobody cuts 7th round second year players for cost savings.  His contract is so small it is barely above the 51st cut off for the salary cap calculation.  If he is not the third TE then that is fine but it will be based on ability not money.  

As others pointed out. I think Long will be let go and they will find another interior guy in FA or the draft.  With Feliciano able to back up center Long's days are numbered.  Haushka finished 2020 strong and I don;t see them cutting him unless he is beaten out in training camp.  I would be fine with drafting both a PK and punter in round 5 or 6 for camp competition- they have 5 picks in those two rounds  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed with this, unless they wanted to part to yeldon.  Cheap contract sure, but he’s also getting a cheap contract for a reason.  If they decide to move on from him, I’m wouldn’t be surpassed.

murphy wasn’t bad imo.  He’s solid depth considering that we’ll likely lose shaq.  

I really hope smith and Kroft are released.  Bleh.  Sign Olson and a late round flyer to compete with Sweeney 

Good point on Yeldon.  They would be flipping two of the three RBs, but they may want to do just that.  It’s not like they played Yeldon much and that could be an indication that he’s not in their long term plans.  I didn’t hear anything about him being injured or anything.  He’s certainly replaceable. 

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Murphy - There’s no way is he going anywhere unless the Bills make a huge splash at DE.  Even then they may keep him to fill out their 3 deep DE rotation.  He has a sizable roster bonus due early so any moves that would impact him would have to be very quick. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t here in 2020. 

Kroft - He should be dumped based on limited production expectations and the ridiculous contract the Bills gave him.  Also due a roster bonus early and that should get him out of here quickly. 

Smith - $500k roster bonus due early so a decision should be made quickly on him.  He’s a bottom of depth chart blocking TE.  We can probably do better or as well replacing him, but there might be some reason to keep him around another season.  A decision either way doesn’t really move the needle for me as he’s not making all that much.

Yeldon - Cheap contract for a RB.  Zero reason to move on from him unless he’s done something to piss off the team.

Sweeney - Very cheap contract. No need to move on from him until someone better takes his place.  No hurry. 

....fair assessment and agree on all counts...McBeane had a hole to fill and limited capital......thus he rolled the dice on dinged/PED suspended Murphy....took time but he played fairly well in 2019.....hindsight is a beautiful thing.....if he knew he would land Knox ND Sweeney, Kroft never happens IMO......Smith is a yellow flag magnet, so he goes......why not keep Yeldon as you said?.....bigger question is does DiMarco STILL have a viable role?......

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know why people want to cut Long. Nothing sinks seasons faster that oline injuries that can't be overcome except QB injuries. Having good depth there is vital. Cutting it when you don't need to is nonsensical to me. 

That’s what I’m saying?  To save 3 million bucks we’re going to trade away versatile OL depth?  Makes zero sense

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

But the deal is, you don’t cut anyone until there replacement is already under contract, that way Beane maintains leverage when negotiating with whatever player he’s looking to bring in. Otherwise your shooting yourself in the foot. 

I agree most of the time and certainly in this case. Murphy is not terrible just not worth his money.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know why people want to cut Long. Nothing sinks seasons faster that oline injuries that can't be overcome except QB injuries. Having good depth there is vital. Cutting it when you don't need to is nonsensical to me. 

I assume he played last year but I do not remember one time he stepped on field- which is a good sign for a backup lineman 

16 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I agree most of the time and certainly in this case. Murphy is not terrible just not worth his money.

I assume he played last year but I do not remember one time he stepped on field- which is a good sign for a backup lineman 

Long played 16.3% of offensive snaps and 13.0% of special team snaps last year.

On 2/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, John from Riverside said:

Why should we release Spencer Long....they guy has been a excellent backup OG

It’s not a knock on long so much, rather if you’re going to put together a list of possible cap casualty/savings, long makes more sense than Sweeney. 

On 2/12/2020 at 4:18 PM, CEN-CAL17 said:

Lee Smith and Yeldon nobody should argue....  Smith came in and mentored Knox, perfect. Yeldon never suited up, why pay him if hes never gonna see the field.  Bills should be better next year, why then would Yeldon have a better chance of seeing the field?

Kroft is a large savings.  I didn't see enough from him to warrant bringing him back.  But then again maybe leadership thinks theres a lot left to be seen and keep him.

Trent Murphys future I think will be determined in FA, if they grab another DE (Veteran), I'd assume they let him go, stay younger possibly with Lawson and grab a Edge DE in the draft.  Murphys future will be obvious, but we gotta wait for FA to happen.  If Lawson is retained, He's gone.

Totally agree!

On 2/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, John from Riverside said:

Why should we release Spencer Long....they guy has been a excellent backup OG

This is the type of discussion that I was alluding to--a list of the highest cap savings and whether or not it makes sense to move from them.  My point was having Sweeney on the (OP's) list didn't make sense.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/02/buffalo-bills-have-6-offseason-cut-candidates-what-to-do-with-trent-murphy-tyler-kroft-and-the-rest.html

Edited by TPS
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/12/2020 at 3:55 PM, gobills404 said:

He may be big but he's not a powerful runner at all. He also fumbled twice on 29 attempts during the preseason and regular season. That's 6 times higher than the league average.

You're cherry picking stats. I'll cherry pick & go with the one(1) fumble for the whole year of 2018.

• Haha (+1) 1