Using Spotrac Tool, potential Releases and Solutions

Good Morning Gentleman and ladies.  So like others I love Spotrac, especially that tool that takes everything into account and changes cap totals and impact on available $.

So this one option, but feel free to do you’re own as I value you’re opinions.  Current cap availability, $82,824,551.

Potentially Released:

1.  Trent Murphy - LB

2.  Tyler Kroft - TE

3.  Lee Smith - TE

4.  TJ Yeldon - RB

5.  Tommy Sweeney - TE

Results would be an additional $9,249,408, resulting in cap space of $91,053,959.

Possible solutions are to add two TE’s in FA, reasoning Edge Rushers and WR will eat up too much cap in FA.  In addition, we can easily replace a RB in the draft.  It’s obvious on the rest as far as the draft with WR’s and Edge Rushers.  Lastly, if J. Phillips is willing to get closer to his Spotrac value of just over $6 mil even if we went to $7 mil, with H Phillips coming back our interior is set.

Thoughts or other releases and solutions if you were Beane?

Mods, I checked the search tool and didn’t see anything similar.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Good Morning Gentleman and ladies.  So like others I love Spotrac, especially that tool that takes everything into account and changes cap totals and impact on available $.

So this one option, but feel free to do you’re own as I value you’re opinions.  Current cap availability, $82,824,551.

Potentially Released:

1.  Trent Murphy - LB

2.  Tyler Kroft - TE

3.  Lee Smith - TE

4.  TJ Yeldon - RB

5.  Tommy Sweeney - TE

Results would be an additional $9,249,408, resulting in cap space of $91,053,959.

Possible solutions are to add two TE’s in FA, reasoning Edge Rushers and WR will eat up too much cap in FA.  In addition, we can easily replace a RB in the draft.  It’s obvious on the rest as far as the draft with WR’s and Edge Rushers.  Lastly, if J. Phillips is willing to get closer to his Spotrac value of just over $6 mil even if we went to $7 mil, with H Phillips coming back our interior is set.

Thoughts or other releases and solutions if you were Beane?

Mods, I checked the search tool and didn’t see anything similar.

Murphy - There’s no way is he going anywhere unless the Bills make a huge splash at DE.  Even then they may keep him to fill out their 3 deep DE rotation.  He has a sizable roster bonus due early so any moves that would impact him would have to be very quick. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t here in 2020. 

Kroft - He should be dumped based on limited production expectations and the ridiculous contract the Bills gave him.  Also due a roster bonus early and that should get him out of here quickly. 

Smith - $500k roster bonus due early so a decision should be made quickly on him.  He’s a bottom of depth chart blocking TE.  We can probably do better or as well replacing him, but there might be some reason to keep him around another season.  A decision either way doesn’t really move the needle for me as he’s not making all that much.

Yeldon - Cheap contract for a RB.  Zero reason to move on from him unless he’s done something to piss off the team.

Sweeney - Very cheap contract. No need to move on from him until someone better takes his place.  No hurry. 

Unless Beane has a better player under contract to fill their roster spot, why would he cut any of these guys?  $9 million more when you already have over $80 million in cap space doesn't make a compelling case to create a bunch of holes in your roster.  With some better free agent signings, I can definitely see some of these guys being released.  I doubt that they cut Sweeney in any of these scenarios.  I say that because they didn't try to move him to the practice squad and risk losing him.  He is a low cost player with some decent upside potential.

If Beane decides that he requires more cap room and lacks better roster options, he can also restructure some more contracts.

• Like (+1) 5

I see Yeldon being cut because Bills had him on roster and barely used him. Once he got to week 1 made no sense to cut.

I can see Kroft being asked to take a cut and waive any bonuses with number of games available incentive based on limited production or be cut.

Rest will remain. Bills need fan whipping boys on offense and defense.

• Like (+1) 1

We have so much cap space, there is no real rush to create any more. Without asking "Who specifically is the replacement? And do you think their production will be worth their contract + dead space?"

We shouldn't just cut people because they are over paid and we don't like it. We have to upgrade the position without just broadly stating "FrEe AgEnCy aNd ThE DrAft". 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm all for dumping Kroft.  I'd keep Lawson over Phillips (who is a bit of a 1.5 year wonder); unless we get Yannik.  

Then I'd grab ONE FA TE (unless we get Olsen, then I'd grab Hooper/Henry).  

I'm not as worried about WR FA's because we got the best at a lower cost in Hooper/Henry, and will be able to draft an impact WR.  

I'd also keep Yeldon, and tell Bean to actually use him.  If we need to cut Yeldon to make room for a DE, however, I'd cut him and draft a replacement.  But drafting a RB does not always work.  Just look at our guys in the XFL! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I'm all for dumping Kroft.  I'd keep Lawson over Phillips (who is a bit of a 1.5 year wonder); unless we get Yannik.  

Then I'd grab ONE FA TE (unless we get Olsen, then I'd grab Hooper/Henry).  

I'm not as worried about WR FA's because we got the best at a lower cost in Hooper/Henry, and will be able to draft an impact WR.  

I'd also keep Yeldon, and tell Bean to actually use him.  If we need to cut Yeldon to make room for a DE, however, I'd cut him and draft a replacement.  But drafting a RB does not always work.  Just look at our guys in the XFL! 

What former bills rb is in xfl that was drafted? Keith Ford was UDFA  for the Colts orginally.

30 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

If we were to land Olsen then Kroft is gone for sure and maybe Lee. We'd have a solid mentor for the younger guys similar to Gore and Singletary.

And a younger stud like Hooper out of Atlanta.  I can acquiesce which is why I wanted to prompt the discussion. Yeldon is extendible if we still want DiMarco for FB packages, and better TE in that scenario to pound it in the tough yard situations it with drafting a Carson like from Seattle. I never mentioned with this incredibly deep WR and a solid edge rusher class, to pick up one to two guys depending if we want Lawson back.  So to Mango’s point, these are upgrades with the exception of Olsen, better than the injury prone Kroft.

If you had to let an edge rusher go thinking you can only get one in the draft, then we still have Hughes and Lawson is in a rotation with a new young stud.  I never brought up as they are officially on the team, but not on Spotrac for some reason with McKenzie and Foster. Foster is a given to be cut, and McKenzie is great with those end around, etc, but rather a take it off the top Wr as well as a possession guy. We of course keep Brown and Beasley, two new guys with real talent and Williams. Roberts is too important in the return game.

I started is to get the dissent and new ideas, and the $ frees up to maybe keep Lawson and J. Phillips.  So have at it as you have my thoughts.  

The only cut that makes sense is Kroft. They currently have 5 TEs with NFL experience under contract and are looking at others in FA, so letting Kroft go and saving appreciable cap space makes sense.

The others are just cute for the sake of cuts. They make the team worse at the expense of cap room that isn’t needed.

• Like (+1) 1

The wishful thinking on here is crazy. You can’t just get everyone in free agency. You don’t cut people hoping to sign a capable free agent to replace them. Tight end is extremely popular. Cut Kroft, Smith, now we’re even mentioning cutting Sweeney for some weird reason.. Ok great let’s do it. Now what if Olsen, Ebron, Hooper, Henry and the other top free agents don’t sign here? We possibly end up with worse tight ends or a questionable rookie.. I just don’t get it. IF you sign one of the top free agents THEN you make moves. 
Use shady as example. Once they signed Gore and Yeldon, and got to see singletary in practice it made shady expendable. That’s the logic you follow. We are not Minnesota with NO cap to make moves. We don’t have to cut anyone unless they literally just don’t want them on the team. Free agency is not a sure thing, this ain’t madden you can’t just get whoever you want. Everyone loves Hooper but maybe he likes his setup in Atlanta and wants to stay there even if it costs him money. Maybe he’s friends with Russel Wilson and wants to play with him. You can’t bank on signing these guys. We’re not the only team with money to throw around. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TPS said:

Yeah, take Sweeney off and add Long. 

Keep both, Long is quality O line depth, and Sweeney has shown flashes, and is likely to get better.

The team is in a position to “not have to” cut very many players for a change,  And won’t do so until after FA, the draft, and into early TC. There is no need to do so any earlier.

Plus we all know how Brandon Beane works. He keeps everyone, adds FAs, and draft selections (90 guys total) and has them fight it out in camp and preseason, then selects his starters/ rotation players, and the good depth players, and after that he trades/ cuts those that don’t measure up, generally in that order. 

Go Bills!!!

Is it just me or does anyone else think we should keep TJ Yeldon. Hes a powerful RB (6'1" 225) and he can really catch out of the backfield. Him, Dev and a rookie is plenty IMO. Everyone says he has a fumbling problem but he only fumbled once in 2018 in a full season with Jacksonville.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Murphy - There’s no way is he going anywhere unless the Bills make a huge splash at DE.  Even then they may keep him to fill out their 3 deep DE rotation.  He has a sizable roster bonus due early so any moves that would impact him would have to be very quick. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t here in 2020. 

Kroft - He should be dumped based on limited production expectations and the ridiculous contract the Bills gave him.  Also due a roster bonus early and that should get him out of here quickly. 

Smith - $500k roster bonus due early so a decision should be made quickly on him.  He’s a bottom of depth chart blocking TE.  We can probably do better or as well replacing him, but there might be some reason to keep him around another season.  A decision either way doesn’t really move the needle for me as he’s not making all that much.

Yeldon - Cheap contract for a RB.  Zero reason to move on from him unless he’s done something to piss off the team.

Sweeney - Very cheap contract. No need to move on from him until someone better takes his place.  No hurry. 

Agreed with this, unless they wanted to part to yeldon.  Cheap contract sure, but he’s also getting a cheap contract for a reason.  If they decide to move on from him, I’m wouldn’t be surpassed.

murphy wasn’t bad imo.  He’s solid depth considering that we’ll likely lose shaq.  

I really hope smith and Kroft are released.  Bleh.  Sign Olson and a late round flyer to compete with Sweeney 

• Like (+1) 1

I think we cut Murphy if we feel we can get a decent end elsewhere for cheaper but the rest I think they keep through camp since the savings are not huge from what I can tell. I did think the Jordan Phillips market value was interesting- the comp players avg 8+ million but he is only worth 6 million a year.

3 hours ago, noacls said:

What former bills rb is in xfl that was drafted? Keith Ford was UDFA  for the Colts orginally.

I thought Ford was drafted for some reason.  At any rate, I don't buy the "you can find a RB anywhere" mentality.  There are some in the draft that look like fits, but I'd rather roll with Motor, Yeldon and a draft pick than have to rely on a late-round rookie as a backup.  

35 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think we cut Murphy if we feel we can get a decent end elsewhere for cheaper but the rest I think they keep through camp since the savings are not huge from what I can tell. I did think the Jordan Phillips market value was interesting- the comp players avg 8+ million but he is only worth 6 million a year.

But the deal is, you don’t cut anyone until there replacement is already under contract, that way Beane maintains leverage when negotiating with whatever player he’s looking to bring in. Otherwise your shooting yourself in the foot. 

• Like (+1) 2