Star Lotulelei takes a pay cut

JoeF

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The way they played that Steelers game was frustrating. Just over conservative offensive football. 

The Patriots game was close the entire game as they led midway through the 3rd quarter. Agree on Baltimore, they dominated the Bills and if not for the refs bailing the Bills out the entire final drive, that game doesn't come down to the final play. 

Otherwise, I agree. They were just a bad team offensively with a very good defense that beat up bad teams thanks to a fortunate schedule. This offseason and next year tells a lot on McBeane. 

This is truth.

Make no mistake. Plenty of work to do yet.

Very interesting off season yet again. As they all have been to differing degrees for different reasonings.

Offseason : D

aint that half the fun though ?

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sure. But 10-6 is 10-6. Teams don't choose the schedules they are given. The Bills need to be the right side of .500 again in 2020 to really prove they belong in the perennial playoff contender bracket but in the same way close losses are losses wins against "lesser" teams are wins. 

Sure. But then 25-25 is 25-25...........and 0-6 against your biggest rival is still 0-6.    

-120+ point differential and the 30th ranked offense in 3 seasons is still what it is.......very poor.

These guys didn't inherit a woeful team like ......just for example......Sean McVay with the LA Rams or Kyle Shanahan with the San Francisco 49ers.............it's OK to keep in perspective what they have(and have not) accomplished.

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It is a straight pay cut. He took 1.75m in a paycut in trade for guaranteeing he's on the roster for the rest of his 4.5M.

Is it $1.75M or $500K with bonuses? 

14 minutes ago, GG said:

Did you fail math in school?  $6.25 - $4.50 = $1.75.

Actually, I'm quite good in math, I'm also good in making sure I have all the information before making definitive statements.  One question: but are all the bonuses new?  

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sure. But then 25-25 is 25-25...........and 0-6 against your biggest rival is still 0-6.    

-120+ point differential and the 30th ranked offense in 3 seasons is still what it is.......very poor.

These guys didn't inherit a woeful team like ......just for example......Sean McVay with the LA Rams or Kyle Shanahan with the San Francisco 49ers.............it's OK to keep in perspective what they have(and have not) accomplished.

They did not inherit  a woeful team ?
you sure about that ?

Do not go to much effort here. The team was directionless at best imho

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Honestly I though he picked is play up significantly the 2nd half of the year. 

you are just looking to pick and argument i suppose lol.
 we are mostly split down the middle about him  haha and not budging

but go ahead !

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why is what happened in 2017 or even 2018 relevant to what is going to happen in 2020?

How many new players on the team since then?

I think what happened in 2019 is more relevant to what will happen next year as the majority of players on the team last year will be there in 2020...

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Actually, I'm quite good in math, I'm also good in making sure I have all the information before making definitive statements.  One question: but are all the bonuses new?  

Nothing new, other than a straight cut in salary.  He gains by the salary guarantee which assures a roster spot in 2020, and another $2.5 million if he's injured for next year.   The bonuses appear to be unchanged from the original terms, where he can earn an additional $1.2 million in 2020.   If Bills have an adequate young guy in the wings, they will be incentivized to deactivate Star later in the season. 

45 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ok they lost 3 of their last 4 "meaningful" games.........and the one win was narrow victory against Duck Hodges.

It doesn't really make it any better.

They had critical,  winnable games in December at home against Baltimore and in New England and they played poorly and they scored late points to narrow the gaps but they were never in position to win either of those games.

Pulling out the "one score" card after the sixth straight loss to NE for this regime is very, very weak.

Never in position to win either? In both games we had the ball inside the 20 with under a minute left only needing a td to tie

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why is what happened in 2017 or even 2018 relevant to what is going to happen in 2020?

How many new players on the team since then?

I think what happened in 2019 is more relevant to what will happen next year as the majority of players on the team last year will be there in 2020...

Ignoring the past is an interesting viewpoint.  

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Honestly I though he picked is play up significantly the 2nd half of the year. 

Specifically he picked up his play after the media started calling out his play.

He still wasn't good but he was notably more active after public criticism.

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Explain the relavance for 2020 by looking at Offense stats from 2018 when the Line was Mills, Ducasse, Miller and Bodine, and the best WR on the team was Zay Jones...

Because they built that roster, unless you want to say the 2017 off-season was Whaley rather than Beane with no influence from McDermott.  They've struggled to put together a talented successful offense so far.  Will that predict the quality of this off-season?  Nobody knows for sure, but it absolutely matters when judging them.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

The most significant piece of the restructure is that he went from 6.25 non guaranteed in 2020 to 4.5 guaranteed. Bills lowered their cap hit, he lowered his salary, but it is guaranteed $. The bonuses didn’t change. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, Julio Hopkins said:

Because they built that roster, unless you want to say the 2017 off-season was Whaley rather than Beane with no influence from McDermott.  They've struggled to put together a talented successful offense so far.  Will that predict the quality of this off-season?  Nobody knows for sure, but it absolutely matters when judging them.  

At this point, Im interested in the roster they are building for 2020 ..

2019 was an improvement of 2018.. Im expecting further improvement this season with the addition of a couple more receivers and perhaps an upgrade to the OL... 

Judge them at the end of 2020... No excuses because they will field the team they have assembled themselves and every position on the O has been churned over the past 2 years except for Dawkins...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So who exactly is that guy, can you give a couple of names of pending FA kickers who are an actual improvement?

A few listed according to Spotrac - and not to say they all make it to FA:

1. Zuerlein

2. Fairburn

3. Koo - don’t think Atlanta should let him walk, he was excellent for them.

JMO, as I think any of these three would be an improvement.

11 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

Never in position to win either? In both games we had the ball inside the 20 with under a minute left only needing a td to tie

In both cases they need a touchdown JUST TO TIE............hence they were never in position to win either game.   

Here's a little perspective for you "one score" defenders.........the Bills were 6-10 the year before and their point differential was just under -7 points per game............sure losing by "one score" is better than getting blown out but it doesn't really reflect much.     Losing by 7 points is not a moral victory........it's a pretty standard NFL loss.

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In both cases they need a touchdown JUST TO TIE............hence they were never in position to win either game.   

Here's a little perspective for you "one score" defenders.........the Bills were 6-10 the year before and their point differential was just under -7 points per game............sure losing by "one score" is better than getting blown out but it doesn't really reflect much.     Losing by 7 points is not a moral victory........it's a pretty standard NFL loss.

My god you just cling to anything you can to discredit and downplay a generally solid season. Not to mention there are 11 franchises that have made the playoffs in at least 2 of the last 3 years. That puts buffalo in a pretty solid group over the last 3 years and here you over the last couple pages clinging to overall point differentials and other garbage to explain it all away. 

We get it. They definitely need to take a step and quickly. But please stop with this nonsense. it’s embarrassing. Geez. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Remember the context of the teams situation and reputation when Star was brought on, it was in large part to help fix the sh-t show that was the seventeen previous years, that was caused by bad ownership decisions and team miss management.  Like it or not the Bills were a laughingstock. 

The make over of the team was/is crucial to having any chance to fix the Buffalo Bills, and you know what, it is having the effect SM & BB hoped for.

It gonna take a minimum of two more seasons to scrub away the tainted image of what the previous seventeen years did to the Buffalo Bills. It indeed cost money to fix what the Bills had become, and it has been worth every dime. 

Go Bills!!!

I"m not sure what you mean - they've slashed payroll big time.  They haven't begun to spend money in any significant way.