JoeF

Star Lotulelei takes a pay cut

Totally predictable because it benefits both sides.  

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/2/11/21133661/buffalo-bills-star-lotulelei-agree-to-restructured-contract-ensuring-he-stays-on-the-team-in-2020

Originally set to make $6.25 million in non-guaranteed base salary in 2020, his salary drops by $1.75 million to a guaranteed $4.5 million. He will also collect his $500,000 roster bonus due next month, $250,000 in a workout bonus, and up to $500,000 in per-game-active bonuses at $31,250 per game. If he plays in all 16 games, he will make $5.75 million in 2020. Lotulelei’s cap hit drops from $10.1 million to $8.35 million in 2020.

There is also a salary reduction in 2021 and 2022, according to Marcel Louis-Jacques. Instead of $6.5 million in 2021, his new salary will be slightly lower at $6.15 million but $2.5 million of it is now guaranteed for injury only. In 2022, he goes from $6.5 million to $4.6 million. All of his 2021 and 2022 roster, workout, and per-game bonuses stay in place.

Here’s a complete breakdown of each season. Old figures are in parentheses and italics.

Cap hit:

2020 - $8.35M (was $10.1M)

2021 - $10.5M (was $10.85) 

2022 - $8.95M (was $10.85M)

Dead cap:

2021 - Dead cap: $5.2 million
Cap savings if cut: $5.3 million

2022 - Dead cap: $2.6 million
Cap savings if cut: $6.35 million

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Can Brandon Beane take over the Sabres too? 

Beane and McDermott work very well together. We have IMO the best young front office in the NFL. The stuff that happened in Houston actually benefits us getting Gaine back. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, JoeF said:

The Bills and starting DT Star Lotulelei have agreed to a restructured contract for the final three years of his deal. For 2020, Lotulelei’s base salary drops by $1.75M, but becomes fully guaranteed, with $2.5M in injury guarantees for 2021 added. Some benefit for both sides.

The guy takes a lot of grief -- but I think he does his job pretty well.  His contract is likely an overpay but this corrects it a bit.  Maybe room to sign Jordan Phillips.

It's not a pay cut. Star not only gets paid, he gets paid more guaranteed money right now. Restructuring only provides the Bills salary cap flexibility in the short term. This also means Star is not going anywhere and will likely be on the team through 2021. 

Edited by Max Fischer

42 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

This will make a number of people happy, but honestly I don't think Star underperformed the way some on this board believe. IMHO, he did his job the way he was asked to do it and in the manner the Defense was designed for him to play in it....but, good for the team.

Sounds like not only people on this board disagree with you.

46 minutes ago, JoeF said:

The Bills and starting DT Star Lotulelei have agreed to a restructured contract for the final three years of his deal. For 2020, Lotulelei’s base salary drops by $1.75M, but becomes fully guaranteed, with $2.5M in injury guarantees for 2021 added. Some benefit for both sides.

The guy takes a lot of grief -- but I think he does his job pretty well.  His contract is likely an overpay but this corrects it a bit.  Maybe room to sign Jordan Phillips.

paycut or cut. Smart move by Star to take the paycut. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

What’s the point of this?

Lowers amount of salaries at a position group that needs another signing. It also helps the Bills down the line if a cut is needed in 2022.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

It's not a pay cut. Star not only gets paid, he gets paid more guaranteed money right now. Restructuring only provides the Bills salary cap flexibility in the short term. This also means Star is not going anywhere and will likely be on the team through 2021. 

It is most certainly a pay cut for this year and next

He was not going to be cut this year, so his salary would have been guaranteed anyway.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Can Brandon Beane take over the Sabres too? 

Yes, but the price would be giving comp picks to the Pats and Bruins

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Sounds like a fair deal for both sides, and I’m not saying he’s Aaron Donald, but he plays a role in this defense.  Him clogging up middle is his job.  That is why I never understood the vitriol by a minority of posters.  Not calling anyone out, to me his role is also meant to Oliver, maybe J Phillips if we can figure out something to penetrate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

Star preferred a lower base over the next 2-3 years and staying with Bills instead of a higher base this year and likely getting cut and changing teams next year. 

good move and provides flexibility going forward - I'd rather get a chunk of pay upfront

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

He was overpaid from the get go. Run stuffers aren't a premium position in the NFL and Star was paid a borderline top 10 salary at his position with a hefty guarantee. Star was good at his role of clogging up lanes and shifting along the line but he wasn't an elite player nor the type of player (interior disruptor) that defenses pay a lot for at his position. 

BUT that doesn't me had has no value, other than the few games in the middle of the season Star's play ranged from solid in the beginning to really good to close the season. Him taking a modest pay cut of close to 2 million simply makes him less overpaid which is a win win for both sides. The Bills get some cap space and Star gets security for 2020 and some guarantees for his 2021 salary. 

I think a lot of people got on him excessively failing to see that just because a player was overpaid for his position doesn't mean he doesn't bring value to the defense. 

The first big UFA signing for McD.  In his world, run stuffing DTs at that kind of money are required.  But trust the process, right?

It should make everyone question how forward thinking the HC is when he's investing 25M guaranteed under the original contract terms to a DT that had regressed each season since his rookie year.  The snap count has fallen to 46-47% from his last 2 Carolina years of 66% and 59%. 

Not many modern NFL teams invest so much into the DT position like Buffalo has the past 3 off-seasons. 

• Meh 2

55 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Doesn’t look like a pay cut looks like they moved money around 

Its a pay cut. 

15 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Its a pay cut, a hefty one. 

He's traded pay for guarentees

9 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Its a pay cut. 

Its a pay cut, a hefty one. 

He's traded pay for guarentees

Until we see what exactly Star gets to deposit into his bank account there is no reason to believe any player would agree to a pay cut. As far as I can tell, the numbers thrown around are only discussing how the restructuring effects the Bills salary cap, which is different than what each player actually takes home each year.  

Edited by Max Fischer

4 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Yes on the first part.......this basically protects him from getting gaffed on cut down day.

That's what happened to LeSean McCoy........and he ended up taking a $2M pay cut signing with KC.

The possibility that Harrison Phillips comes back strong and another 4th-6th round DT1T comes in and out-hustles Star and makes the Bills feel comfortable cutting him was every bit as good as the chances McCoy would be cut.

I suspect a steadily declining, aging and recently mediocre run stuffer like Lotulelei would be looking at between a vet minimum and $2M contract on the open market at the end of August...........and that someone would have to be really short bodies.    He might even have to wait until week 2 to sign when his contract would basically be week to week(in which case I suspect he'd have retired I don't think he wants it that bad based on his lack of effort).

As for him being with the team in 2021...........I doubt it.........I won't be surprised if he's an healthy scratch by the end of the 2020 season.    2021 was always when he was going to be easier to cut.

15 minutes ago, GG said:

It is most certainly a pay cut for this year and next

He was not going to be cut this year, so his salary would have been guaranteed anyway.  

Have you seen any numbers that explains how much money Star will put in his bank account this year and next? I've only seen salary cap numbers, which are different. 

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Star preferred a lower base over the next 2-3 years and staying with Bills instead of a higher base this year and likely getting cut and changing teams next year. 

Star + next 3 years + with Bills = nofa king chance

This was all about getting the one last season guaranteed.

• Like (+1) 1

Hopefully this doesn’t cause him to start a fight with a funeral director and throw weights at people at his local gym.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

6 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Until we see what exactly Star gets to deposit into his bank account there is no reason to believe any player would agree to a pay cut. As far as I can tell, the numbers thrown around are only discussing how the restructuring effects the Bills salary cap, which is different than what each player actually takes home each year.  

Originally set to make $6.25 million in non-guaranteed base salary in 2020, his salarydrops by $1.75 million to a guaranteed $4.5 million.

6.25 to 4.5 is a paycut in any world 

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The first big UFA signing for McD.  In his world, run stuffing DTs at that kind of money are required.  But trust the process, right?

It should make everyone question how forward thinking the HC is when he's investing 25M guaranteed under the original contract terms to a DT that had regressed each season since his rookie year.  The snap count has fallen to 46-47% from his last 2 Carolina years of 66% and 59%. 

Not many modern NFL teams invest so much into the DT position like Buffalo has the past 3 off-seasons. 

Not many modern NFL teams value the locker room culture as Mcdermott does either though. It’s only my opinion but Star was brought here for more than just on field production. He’s extremely durable, and he has to have value off the field as well. That’s the only reason they would of invested so much to make sure he came to buffalo. Like this front office or not, they are not dumb.. 

Star has value, just because fans don’t like him or expect more does not lessen what he may or may not bring to this team. 

• Like (+1) 2