Star Lotulelei takes a pay cut

JoeF

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm just interested to see what else they do now.

Asking a player to take a salary cut is always a motivational risk.  But IMO the Bills had a problem in trying to negotiate contracts with other part-time, rotational DLmen and that problem was called "Star's Contract".  Anyone they try to sign looks over there and says "Ah.....HIM.  Paid like HIM".

The renegotiation may bring Star's contract more in line with others the Bills may be trying to negotiate.

I usually don’t worry about motivation when players get a bump in guaranteed money.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Say more, please, because the usual perception seems to be the opposite:

if your money is guaranteed, period, what's the motivation to train like a dawg all offseason and go hard in the games?

I think it’s more along the lines of the team is converting non-guaranteed money into guaranteed as an investment in the player for the upcoming season.

Vis a vis: we shall reward you now for what we expect will be another great season of service (disirregardlessly of whether he was actually great in the past).

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think it’s more along the lines of the team is converting non-guaranteed money into guaranteed as an investment in the player for the upcoming season.

Vis a vis: we shall reward you now for what we expect will be another great season of service (disirregardlessly of whether he was actually great in the past).

So your perception of the convo would be:

"we need to ask you to take a salary adjustment in order to better slot you in with your expected role next season, but we're so confident in the quality you'll bring that we're willing to guarantee what remains"?

23 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I will respectfully disagree. I think when you look at where the team was at the time in terms of the Defense, what their needs were and what the market was at the time, it seemed on par to me. Also, he was not brought in to be Kyle Williams 2.0 whose biggest asset was rushing the passer from the inside. I'm not saying that Star is a premiere DT, I'm saying the Bills paid him according to the market value of what they needed at the time. He's done what he's been asked to do. If you think he should be doing something different, and I don't, then that's a coaching issue, not so much what they're paying him. IMHO

I'm not really sure what that means...?? Unless you're implying that the Bills seem to think he didn't perform well? If that's your assertion I would suggest you're wrong. I think they saw the ability to save some money, be able to move on next year if they choose to and yet give him some guarantees so he doesn't have to be concerned about not seeing the money in his contract. IMO, it was a means to helping out both sides, but not because they didn't think he played according to their expectations. 

It sounds like you disagree, so - that's where I'll leave it.

I am glad the Bills improved Starr’s contract to better match his play. 

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Say more, please, because the usual perception seems to be the opposite:

if your money is guaranteed, period, what's the motivation to train like a dawg all offseason and go hard in the games?

but just guaranteed for this coming season...he's now playing for his next contract

41 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Why. Would. You. Cut. Murphy.

He makes an average of $7M, which is peanuts for a DE, and he was productive last year.

Don't cut good players just because.

You don't cut him just because.  But you use the Star deal as leverage to redo his contract.  He actually will make $8.25 million this year, and there's a $1 mil roster bonus decision coming in March.   If Beane was smart, that payment is due a few days after the league season opens.  For comparison, Murphy's 2019 bonus was due on March 17, 4 days after FA began.

Also, if Bills are able to snag a prime DE in first week of FA for $20 mil AAV, there's logic to dump Murphy and bring Shaq back at $8 mm AAV.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Richie lost his mind in part due to the fact that lesser guards were signing big contracts after he had just taken an incredibly ill-advised pay cut.

There won't be any DT of lesser quality than Star getting paid close to what he still is.

Cause and effect mixed, here.

Ritchie had already lost his mind - he has admitted he was showing up to meetings high and was out of shape the previous year.  That's the cause.

He was asked to take a pay cut accordingly.   That's the effect.

(Doubt similar dynamic at play with Star)

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I will respectfully disagree. I think when you look at where the team was at the time in terms of the Defense, what their needs were and what the market was at the time, it seemed on par to me. Also, he was not brought in to be Kyle Williams 2.0 whose biggest asset was rushing the passer from the inside. I'm not saying that Star is a premiere DT, I'm saying the Bills paid him according to the market value of what they needed at the time. He's done what he's been asked to do. If you think he should be doing something different, and I don't, then that's a coaching issue, not so much what they're paying him. IMHO

I know what he was brought in to do. He just hasn't done it well enough to justify the $$S invested in my opinion. He isn't a bad player. But he is an overpaid one.

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I got a feeling that his next contract is going to be on another team in 2021...

Hope that does motivate him to keep playing hard this year..

I concur...they guaranteed him a job this year and now can move on without big cap hit

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So your perception of the convo would be:

"we need to ask you to take a salary adjustment in order to better slot you in with your expected role next season, but we're so confident in the quality you'll bring that we're willing to guarantee what remains"?

More along the lines of—we plan to reduce your snaps this year, so we’re asking you to take a salary adjustment. In exchange, we’ll bump your guaranteed money up significantly. We’re doing this because we don’t want to let you go or have you be unhappy.

22 minutes ago, GG said:

You don't cut him just because.  But you use the Star deal as leverage to redo his contract.  He actually will make $8.25 million this year, and there's a $1 mil roster bonus decision coming in March.   If Beane was smart, that payment is due a few days after the league season opens.  For comparison, Murphy's 2019 bonus was due on March 17, 4 days after FA began.

Also, if Bills are able to snag a prime DE in first week of FA for $20 mil AAV, there's logic to dump Murphy and bring Shaq back at $8 mm AAV.

I highly doubt that Shaq takes 8.

And as I said, Murphy is performing right in line with what you expect from a DE making $7M AAV.

Yes, you could ask him to take a reduction, but he’s already being paid as a rotational guy.

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

And as I said, Murphy is performing right in line with what you expect from a DE making $7M AAV.

Yes, you could ask him to take a reduction, but he’s already being paid as a rotational guy.

Spotrac estimates Shaq's AAV to be $7.7 million.   Murphy will count over $9 million against the cap, and is slated to make over $8 million in cash.  Those are all above his contribution levels, just like Star.   His dead cap is only $1.75 million.  Bills can easily replace Murphy's contributions at a much lower cost.

24 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

More along the lines of—we plan to reduce your snaps this year, so we’re asking you to take a salary adjustment. In exchange, we’ll bump your guaranteed money up significantly. We’re doing this because we don’t want to let you go or have you be unhappy.

We need to find someone better than Murphy,  add some money onto the 8 miilion you save from cutting Murphy and upgrade the position.  Murphy is loser,  

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Yes, they can improve—why cut Murphy?

To save 8 million,  add another 8 and get yourself and DE who can get us more sacks