Star Lotulelei takes a pay cut

JoeF

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Star preferred a lower base over the next 2-3 years and staying with Bills instead of a higher base this year and likely getting cut and changing teams next year. 

THIS ^^^ is what is interesting to me...makes me wonder if Beane was thinking he may have to cut Star, down the road, if a deal couldn’t get done...

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

A few listed according to Spotrac - and not to say they all make it to FA:

1. Zuerlein

2. Fairburn

3. Koo - don’t think Atlanta should let him walk, he was excellent for them.

JMO, as I think any of these three would be an improvement.

Agree that it’s time to move on but give Hauschka some credit for turning things around very nicely at the end of the season when the pitchforks were out and people wanted to run him out of town for some unproven nobodies.   

Send the guy off with the dignity he earned.  Think we can all agree on that.  And, I'm not just blaming you—I meant to post this before but the occasion never arose.   

Sunk costs and opportunity cost. 

It is basic economics and accounting at this point. Beane and McD were so desperate to rid themselves of Dareus that they went into salary cap hell and then overspent on Star to replace him.

But that is the past and his dead cap hit and the cost to replace him far outweighs keeping him on the roster. The fact they can lower his salary a little bit helps and if he stays healthy they only need to find a backup 3 technique DT for the next year or two. J Phillips will leave. They don't need him with Oliver on the roster. They need two starting edge players in this offseason. I'd prefer a DE in free agency and an OLB in the first round. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why is what happened in 2017 or even 2018 relevant to what is going to happen in 2020?

How many new players on the team since then?

I think what happened in 2019 is more relevant to what will happen next year as the majority of players on the team last year will be there in 2020...

It's only relevant if they dont learn from their mistakes. McD let Gilmore go, passed on Mahomes,  and Beane traded away more talent than he brought in. Beane admitted the 2018 team was not competitive.  So they wasted a season and multiple draft picks to get Allen and Edmund's. Their fates are all intertwined.  So far Beane has shown that he seems to overpay in free agency, drafts reasonably well but the jury is still out on most of their picks, and gets higher compensation back in trades than would be expected. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's only relevant if they dont learn from their mistakes. McD let Gilmore go, passed on Mahomes,  and Beane traded away more talent than he brought in. Beane admitted the 2018 team was not competitive.  So they wasted a season and multiple draft picks to get Allen and Edmund's. Their fates are all intertwined.  So far Beane has shown that he seems to overpay in free agency, drafts reasonably well but the jury is still out on most of their picks, and gets higher compensation back in trades than would be expected. 

stopped reading at "passed on Mahomes"

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsVet said:

The first big UFA signing for McD.  In his world, run stuffing DTs at that kind of money are required.  But trust the process, right?

It should make everyone question how forward thinking the HC is when he's investing 25M guaranteed under the original contract terms to a DT that had regressed each season since his rookie year.  The snap count has fallen to 46-47% from his last 2 Carolina years of 66% and 59%. 

Not many modern NFL teams invest so much into the DT position like Buffalo has the past 3 off-seasons. 

Ya. His decisions around having a great defense should be questioned. 

5 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

stopped reading at "passed on Mahomes"

That’s farther than I got. I couldn’t make it past “McD let Gilmore go.” It’s impossible to “let go” of a player you have no control over. 

54 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

We get it. They definitely need to take a step and quickly. But please stop with this nonsense. it’s embarrassing. Geez. 

Is this like when you said it was "embarrassing" that Bills fans hadn't sold out the Ravens@Bills game in December well in advance...........when you yourself were talking about how you won't come to December games cuz you want to hang out with family?    

We get it Stink........your plans with family are important.........everyone else is a friggin' embarrassment.

You have a lame shtick..........and it's literally calling out everything as "embarrassing".

But thanks for jumping into the thread to do your one trick.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sure. But then 25-25 is 25-25...........and 0-6 against your biggest rival is still 0-6.    

-120+ point differential and the 30th ranked offense in 3 seasons is still what it is.......very poor.

These guys didn't inherit a woeful team like ......just for example......Sean McVay with the LA Rams or Kyle Shanahan with the San Francisco 49ers.............it's OK to keep in perspective what they have(and have not) accomplished.

Interestingly enough, they’re building the team to NOT be what the Rams did. 

23 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Not a fan of Star, but I'm good with this move. VERY important that the contract doesn't lock him in for 2021. 

It's one of those offseason moves that makes sense on paper...........until September when the player with the effort issues has just spent an entire offseason without any financial motivation to prepare for it.

$4.25M isn't debilitating if he stinks but it's probably not money they should have guaranteed just to save $1.75M.     

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's one of those offseason moves that makes sense on paper...........until September when the player with the effort issues has just spent an entire offseason without any financial motivation to prepare for it.

$4.25M isn't debilitating if he stinks but it's probably not money they should have guaranteed just to save $1.75M.     

Like I said. I don't really care for Star. I don't think he brings enough to the DL regardless of the contract. Harry could very well usurp him this season if they use him as a 1T. JMO.

But the fact that he has no guarantees in 2021 defy the notion that he has NO incentive to play hard in 2020. He could find himself out of the league if he doesn't play well.

5 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Doesn’t look like a pay cut looks like they moved money around 

Clears cap space, and let's Star know we want to keep him for the remainder of his contract. Basically, until he retires.

EnchantedUnrulyAsiantrumpetfish-size_res

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Interestingly enough, they’re building the team to NOT be what the Rams did. 

Not go to a Super Bowl?   Interesting.......but I'll pass on that plan.

"Interestingly enough" the Bills were the 6th oldest team in the NFL last year..........and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get any younger as they try to make the jump from wildcard hopeful to a division contender and hopefully more.  

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Probably more of a right-sizing of the $ or % of cap  allocated to that position group, esp if they plan to sign another DT

Chris Jones...come on over

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The way they played that Steelers game was frustrating. Just over conservative offensive football. 

The Patriots game was close the entire game as they led midway through the 3rd quarter. Agree on Baltimore, they dominated the Bills and if not for the refs bailing the Bills out the entire final drive, that game doesn't come down to the final play. 

Otherwise, I agree. They were just a bad team offensively with a very good defense that beat up bad teams thanks to a fortunate schedule. This offseason and next year tells a lot on McBeane. 

A better offense would help the defense out and relieve some of the pressure on them to always have to stop every score

12 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Like I said. I don't really care for Star. I don't think he brings enough to the DL regardless of the contract. Harry could very well usurp him this season if they use him as a 1T. JMO.

But the fact that he has no guarantees in 2021 defy the notion that he has NO incentive to play hard in 2020. He could find himself out of the league if he doesn't play well.

Right now, i believe it is just Star and Harry at 1T.  I don't think Harry is a 1T, but more of a 3T -- he's just not big enough to be a 1T.  Really, Star isn't big enough, either.

So what to do?  Move Harry over to 3T and draft or buy a true 1T ( > 325 lbs ) who won't get pushed back, can push forward and get to the backfield, as well as stop the run.  McD's interior OLine was very weak this past season; not good in rush defense or pass rushing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Is this like when you said it was "embarrassing" that Bills fans hadn't sold out the Ravens@Bills game in December well in advance...........when you yourself were talking about how you won't come to December games cuz you want to hang out with family?    

We get it Stink........your plans with family are important.........everyone else is a friggin' embarrassment.

You have a lame shtick..........and it's literally calling out everything as "embarrassing".

But thanks for jumping into the thread to do your one trick.

Lol. I sat in the wind and rain for the finale as backups played in December.  And you still show no capacity to understand what I was eluding to during that discussion. But nice try. 

and you saying anyone has a lame Schtick is truly rich. You and scott coming in here with the crap you two spewed trying to downplay anything solid this franchise does.... that train is never late....

Been a pleasure..... as always. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Right now, i believe it is just Star and Harry at 1T.  I don't think Harry is a 1T, but more of a 3T -- he's just not big enough to be a 1T.  Really, Star isn't big enough, either.

So what to do?  Move Harry over to 3T and draft or buy a true 1T ( > 325 lbs ) who won't get pushed back, can push forward and get to the backfield, as well as stop the run.  McD's interior OLine was very weak this past season; not good in rush defense or pass rushing.

They definitely have the cap space to add a 1T DT capable of making some plays, but I'd be shocked if they didn't just stick with Star in 2020. Don't think they would have made this move if they planned to move on. Probably more likely that they'll add a backup.