Star Lotulelei takes a pay cut

JoeF

Can we stop including the Jest game just to satisfy a narrative about losing 4 of our last 5?  That game needs to be tossed for obvious reasons.

We lost 2 of our last 4 each by a touchdown in the tougher portion of the schedule in games where even though our offense played like ass, we had a chance none the less. 

While it can be said we weren’t as good as out 10-6 record, it can also be said 12-4 wasn’t that far out of reach, either. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Remember the context of the teams situation and reputation when Star was brought on, it was in large part to help fix the sh-t show that was the seventeen previous years, that was caused by bad ownership decisions and team miss management.  Like it or not the Bills were a laughingstock. 

The make over of the team was/is crucial to having any chance to fix the Buffalo Bills, and you know what, it is having the effect SM & BB hoped for.

It gonna take a minimum of two more seasons to scrub away the tainted image of what the previous seventeen years did to the Buffalo Bills. It indeed cost money to fix what the Bills had become, and it has been worth every dime. 

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Can we stop including the Jest game just to satisfy a narrative about losing 4 of our last 5?  

Ok they lost 3 of their last 4 "meaningful" games.........and the one win was narrow victory against Duck Hodges.

It doesn't really make it any better.

They had critical,  winnable games in December at home against Baltimore and in New England and they played poorly and they scored late points to narrow the gaps but they were never in position to win either of those games.

Pulling out the "one score" card after the sixth straight loss to NE for this regime is very, very weak.

40 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say about sources.  I'd disagree that actual pay cuts "happen all the time." They happen, but very infrequently. Nearly every instance is the player makes more up front and simply provides salary cap reporting flexibility.  

We can agree on one thing: Star is not making $1.75M less. At worst, if he's active every game (which is very likely) he'll make $500K less in 2020, which probably a fair trade off for being cut proof.   

Not sure this is even true.  He agreed to 1.75 million less in base salary to make it guaranteed.  Both sources stated the per game bonus, signing bonus, and workout bonus stayed the same.  So in reality if he plays every game with all of his bonuses he will make $500,000 less than his base salary alone would have been this year.  If he played all 16 games on his old contract he would have made closer to 8 million with the bonuses.

In real world dollars he just took a 1.75 million dollar pay cut to ensure his roster spot for this year.  He also took the pay cuts out to year 2 and 3, with minor guarantees for injury.  I am not sure he survives going into 2021, but he has provided himself with some insurance just in case.  

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Remember the context of the teams situation and reputation when Star was brought on, it was in large part to help fix the sh-t show that was the seventeen previous years, that was caused by bad ownership decisions and team miss management.  Like it or not the Bills were a laughingstock. 

The make over of the team was/is crucial to having any chance to fix the Buffalo Bills, and you know what, it is having the effect SM & BB hoped for.

It gonna take a minimum of two more seasons to scrub away the tainted image of what the previous seventeen years did to the Buffalo Bills. It indeed cost money to fix what the Bills had become, and it has been worth every dime. 

Go Bills!!!

Not sure Star had any effect on that but each to their own. 

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Maybe the +$1 million equals able to cut Hausch-money so they can spend it on a capable Kicker?? Without sacrificing Cap money to be used on the rest of the team.

So who exactly is that guy, can you give a couple of names of pending FA kickers who are an actual improvement?

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ok they lost 3 of their last 4 "meaningful" games.........and the one win was narrow victory against Duck Hodges.

They had critical,  winnable games in December at home against Baltimore and in New England and they played poorly and they scored late points to narrow the gaps but they were never in position to win either of those games.

Pulling out the "one score" card after the sixth straight loss to NE for this regime is very, very weak.

Sure. But 10-6 is 10-6. Teams don't choose the schedules they are given. The Bills need to be the right side of .500 again in 2020 to really prove they belong in the perennial playoff contender bracket but in the same way close losses are losses wins against "lesser" teams are wins. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Right.

12 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

Damn Straight Son .

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

?

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

Because repeating the same source on this site is an indication of accuracy?  There have been plenty of "restructurings" that have not been what was initially reported.  I hope it means an actual "pay cut" but that is pretty rare. 

It is a straight pay cut. He took 1.75m in a paycut in trade for guaranteeing he's on the roster for the rest of his 4.5M.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Damn Straight Son .

?

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I might think it did. There were other players who mentioned how steady he was. a consistent leader on and off the field.
with out quotes, and no point to prove. I feel acquiring Star showed  a sincere attempt to shore up the run game . the one that was abysmal.

how effective? not sure you can quantify it. But over the season and in most games. Bills would tighten run D up after the 1st half. and Star was still in the game

and yes i watched Star too much.

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say about sources.  I'd disagree that actual pay cuts "happen all the time." They happen, but very infrequently. Nearly every instance is the player makes more up front and simply provides salary cap reporting flexibility.  

We can agree on one thing: Star is not making $1.75M less. At worst, if he's active every game (which is very likely) he'll make $500K less in 2020, which probably a fair trade off for being cut proof.   

Did you fail math in school?  $6.25 - $4.50 = $1.75.

51 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's only a good deal if they were dead-set-determined to keep him no matter the circumstances.

Falling Star Lotulelei going into this season with no financial motivation whatsoever sounds like a bad idea to me.

Maybe you can help me identify the poster who was loudly banging the table for the Bills to sign an over-the-hill David Harris to an above-market contract to pry him away from the Jets?  

I think the rationale was that Harris would be a great guy to help transition into the new defense and be a solid locker room presence, even at a highly inflated salary for a 30+ LB?   Who was arguing that?

Edited by GG