Star Lotulelei takes a pay cut

JoeF

6 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Because repeating the same source on this site is an indication of accuracy?  There have been plenty of "restructurings" that have not been what was initially reported.  I hope it means an actual "pay cut" but that is pretty rare. 

really? Pay cuts happen All the time in the NFL. So you want to tell me InCognito wasn’t a pay cut?  Do you a “source” that says the one that actually put numbers to it say something different?

it is very simple. He gave up Pay for guarantees. The reality is his old contract would have been guaranteed when games start. But maybe he didn’t think he would make it that far so traded off Salaries for guaranteed money in 2020. Ensuring he is on the Roster in 2020

Edited by MAJBobby

13 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Because repeating the same source on this site is an indication of accuracy?  There have been plenty of "restructurings" that have not been what was initially reported.  I hope it means an actual "pay cut" but that is pretty rare. 

Two sources.  But who's counting.  

50 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The first big UFA signing for McD.  In his world, run stuffing DTs at that kind of money are required.  But trust the process, right?

It should make everyone question how forward thinking the HC is when he's investing 25M guaranteed under the original contract terms to a DT that had regressed each season since his rookie year.  The snap count has fallen to 46-47% from his last 2 Carolina years of 66% and 59%. 

Not many modern NFL teams invest so much into the DT position like Buffalo has the past 3 off-seasons. 

Yet the defense is one of the best in the NFL with 2 playoff appearances in the past 3 years  and a 2nd year franchise QB who had 9 new starters on the offensive side of the football, with $90M cap space to spare to get more talent.

Aside from that, you have a very valid point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

really? Pay cuts happen All the time in the NFL. So you want to tell me InCognito wasn’t a pay cut?  Do you a “source” that says the one that actually put numbers to it say something different?

it is very simple. He gave up Pay for guarantees. The reality is his old contract would have been guaranteed when games start. But maybe he didn’t think he would make it that far so traded off Salaries for guaranteed money in 2020. Ensuring he is on the Roster in 2020

I don't understand what you're trying to say about sources.  I'd disagree that actual pay cuts "happen all the time." They happen, but very infrequently. Nearly every instance is the player makes more up front and simply provides salary cap reporting flexibility.  

We can agree on one thing: Star is not making $1.75M less. At worst, if he's active every game (which is very likely) he'll make $500K less in 2020, which probably a fair trade off for being cut proof.   

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

This will make a number of people happy, but honestly I don't think Star underperformed the way some on this board believe. IMHO, he did his job the way he was asked to do it and in the manner the Defense was designed for him to play in it....but, good for the team.

Nah. He was overpaid. Not sure it is a big enough cut to justify it with his play. But every little helps. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41091356-4

this explains more of the details 

Seems to be a pay cut, but yeah, it's a reasonable trade off for both sides - giving him a lower but fully guaranteed salary this year and some guaranteed money next.

It's interesting to me that renegotiating was apparently a priority - are they planning to spend up close to the cap?

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Yet the defense is one of the best in the NFL with 2 playoff appearances in the past 3 years  and a 2nd year franchise QB who had 9 new starters on the offensive side of the football, with $90M cap space to spare to get more talent.

Aside from that, you have a very valid point.

On the flip side they are 25-25 with a staggering -120+ point differential in those 3 years.

Mainly because their offense has been ghastly..........just ***** awful.......which is what @BillsVetis getting at with his investment take.

They've been a lot luckier than good.......but as you mentioned they have a lot of assets to make a jump to the point where they stop getting slapped around when they start playing good teams(lost 4 of last 5 to finish season as the schedule finally toughened). 

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

The Bills and starting DT Star Lotulelei have agreed to a restructured contract for the final three years of his deal. For 2020, Lotulelei’s base salary drops by $1.75M, but becomes fully guaranteed, with $2.5M in injury guarantees for 2021 added. Some benefit for both sides.

The guy takes a lot of grief -- but I think he does his job pretty well.  His contract is likely an overpay but this corrects it a bit.  Maybe room to sign Jordan Phillips.

Was hoping to see something done from both sides. and both have done the right thing for me. at peace with this. Hoping we get good reps from Harry this year and and find a player who can replace Star's on tech and two down need in that rotation.

Jordan,  Ed ard  Harry are more penetrating DT.Need another Redwood tree stump for that run game we get beat at.
Glad to have Star another year. at less money. and i do not mind if Bills find his long term replacement this year in the draft 

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Sounds like a fair deal for both sides, and I’m not saying he’s Aaron Donald, but he plays a role in this defense.  Him clogging up middle is his job.  That is why I never understood the vitriol by a minority of posters.  Not calling anyone out, to me his role is also meant to Oliver, maybe J Phillips if we can figure out something to penetrate.

can you reword this a bit for me ?

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah. He was overpaid. Not sure it is a big enough cut to justify it with his play. But every little helps. 

It's only a good deal if they were dead-set-determined to keep him no matter the circumstances.

Falling Star Lotulelei going into this season with no financial motivation whatsoever sounds like a bad idea to me.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Seems to be a pay cut, but yeah, it's a reasonable trade off for both sides - giving him a lower but fully guaranteed salary this year and some guaranteed money next.

It's interesting to me that renegotiating was apparently a priority - are they planning to spend up close to the cap?

Probably more of a right-sizing of the $ or % of cap  allocated to that position group, esp if they plan to sign another DT

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

The Bills and starting DT Star Lotulelei have agreed to a restructured contract for the final three years of his deal. For 2020, Lotulelei’s base salary drops by $1.75M, but becomes fully guaranteed, with $2.5M in injury guarantees for 2021 added. Some benefit for both sides.

The guy takes a lot of grief -- but I think he does his job pretty well.  His contract is likely an overpay but this corrects it a bit.  Maybe room to sign Jordan Phillips.

He takes a lot of grief because he's actually not what most posters here say he is.  He does not take on double teams and he's suspect against the run.  Those are the two things people keep trying to say he does well and he doesn't.  He's a rotational guy that is decent.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

This will make a number of people happy, but honestly I don't think Star underperformed the way some on this board believe. IMHO, he did his job the way he was asked to do it and in the manner the Defense was designed for him to play in it....but, good for the team.

Players who are living up to their contracts usually don’t take pay cuts.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah our defense in which gave up and average of 16 points per game killed us.  2nd in the league is just unacceptable.

You obviously don’t believe you build a team in the trenches because you’re bitching about us investing in it.

Grow up.  

ouch.

even i felt that. lol

Team Game. complimentary football.
Trust the process

is quite similar to 

" Do your job "

it has a faith based tone eh ?

Star did some good work. and he had some bad days and plays.

Stats like yours reflect the Team effort and execution. and thats good stuff ty

22 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say about sources.  I'd disagree that actual pay cuts "happen all the time." They happen, but very infrequently. Nearly every instance is the player makes more up front and simply provides salary cap reporting flexibility.  

We can agree on one thing: Star is not making $1.75M less. At worst, if he's active every game (which is very likely) he'll make $500K less in 2020, which probably a fair trade off for being cut proof.   

Ifs are just that Ifs. And even If he does earn everything he can will he make less money?  Answer is Yes. So that would mean he took a pay cut. 

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's only a good deal if they were dead-set-determined to keep him no matter the circumstances.

Falling Star Lotulelei going into this season with no financial motivation whatsoever sounds like a bad idea to me.

I never said it was a good deal. 

• Like (+1) 1