Star Lotulelei takes a pay cut

JoeF

55 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Doesn’t look like a pay cut looks like they moved money around 

Its a pay cut. 

15 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

It's not a pay cut. Star not only gets paid, he gets paid more guaranteed money right now. Restructuring only provides the Bills salary cap flexibility in the short term. This also means Star is not going anywhere and will likely be on the team through 2021. 

Its a pay cut, a hefty one. 

He's traded pay for guarentees

9 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Its a pay cut. 

Its a pay cut, a hefty one. 

He's traded pay for guarentees

Until we see what exactly Star gets to deposit into his bank account there is no reason to believe any player would agree to a pay cut. As far as I can tell, the numbers thrown around are only discussing how the restructuring effects the Bills salary cap, which is different than what each player actually takes home each year.  

Edited by Max Fischer

4 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

It's not a pay cut. Star not only gets paid, he gets paid more guaranteed money right now. Restructuring only provides the Bills salary cap flexibility in the short term. This also means Star is not going anywhere and will likely be on the team through 2021. 

Yes on the first part.......this basically protects him from getting gaffed on cut down day.

That's what happened to LeSean McCoy........and he ended up taking a $2M pay cut signing with KC.

The possibility that Harrison Phillips comes back strong and another 4th-6th round DT1T comes in and out-hustles Star and makes the Bills feel comfortable cutting him was every bit as good as the chances McCoy would be cut.

I suspect a steadily declining, aging and recently mediocre run stuffer like Lotulelei would be looking at between a vet minimum and $2M contract on the open market at the end of August...........and that someone would have to be really short bodies.    He might even have to wait until week 2 to sign when his contract would basically be week to week(in which case I suspect he'd have retired I don't think he wants it that bad based on his lack of effort).

As for him being with the team in 2021...........I doubt it.........I won't be surprised if he's an healthy scratch by the end of the 2020 season.    2021 was always when he was going to be easier to cut.

15 minutes ago, GG said:

It is most certainly a pay cut for this year and next

He was not going to be cut this year, so his salary would have been guaranteed anyway.  

Have you seen any numbers that explains how much money Star will put in his bank account this year and next? I've only seen salary cap numbers, which are different. 

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Star preferred a lower base over the next 2-3 years and staying with Bills instead of a higher base this year and likely getting cut and changing teams next year. 

Star + next 3 years + with Bills = nofa king chance

This was all about getting the one last season guaranteed.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Until we see what exactly Star gets to deposit into his bank account there is no reason to believe any player would agree to a pay cut. As far as I can tell, the numbers thrown around are only discussing how the restructuring effects the Bills salary cap, which is different than what each player actually takes home each year.  

Originally set to make $6.25 million in non-guaranteed base salary in 2020, his salarydrops by $1.75 million to a guaranteed $4.5 million.

6.25 to 4.5 is a paycut in any world 

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The first big UFA signing for McD.  In his world, run stuffing DTs at that kind of money are required.  But trust the process, right?

It should make everyone question how forward thinking the HC is when he's investing 25M guaranteed under the original contract terms to a DT that had regressed each season since his rookie year.  The snap count has fallen to 46-47% from his last 2 Carolina years of 66% and 59%. 

Not many modern NFL teams invest so much into the DT position like Buffalo has the past 3 off-seasons. 

Not many modern NFL teams value the locker room culture as Mcdermott does either though. It’s only my opinion but Star was brought here for more than just on field production. He’s extremely durable, and he has to have value off the field as well. That’s the only reason they would of invested so much to make sure he came to buffalo. Like this front office or not, they are not dumb.. 

Star has value, just because fans don’t like him or expect more does not lessen what he may or may not bring to this team. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/11/2020 at 3:59 PM, Max Fischer said:

Have you seen any numbers that explains how much money Star will put in his bank account this year and next? I've only seen salary cap numbers, which are different. 

Originally set to make $6.25 million in non-guaranteed base salary in 2020, his salarydrops by $1.75 million to a guaranteed $4.5 million.  

Those are cash numbers 

Originally set to make $6.25 million in non-guaranteed base salary in 2020, his salary drops by $1.75 million to a guaranteed $4.5 million. He will also collect his $500,000 roster bonus due next month, $250,000 in a workout bonus, and up to $500,000 in per-game-active bonuses at $31,250 per game. If he plays in all 16 games, he will make $5.75 million in 2020. Lotulelei’s cap hit drops from $10.1 million to $8.35 million in 2020.

There is also a salary reduction in 2021 and 2022, according to Marcel Louis-Jacques. Instead of $6.5 million in 2021, his new salary will be slightly lower at $6.15 million but $2.5 million of it is now guaranteed for injury only. In 2022, he goes from $6.5 million to $4.6 million. All of his 2021 and 2022 roster, workout, and per-game bonuses stay in place.

6 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

You mean other than the dozen or so posts in this thread showing his 2020 salary dropping by $1.75 million?

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I understand the idea that this may signal a commitment to Jordan Phillips, but I won’t be surprised if they take a run at Vernon Butler instead. 

Edited by K-9

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Not many modern NFL teams value the locker room culture as Mcdermott does either though. It’s only my opinion but Star was brought here for more than just on field production. He’s extremely durable, and he has to have value off the field as well. That’s the only reason they would of invested so much to make sure he came to buffalo. Like this front office or not, they are not dumb.. 

Star has value, just because fans don’t like him or expect more does not lessen what he may or may not bring to this team. 

...certainly agree......probably dead wrong, but I think this is an instance where the "Carolina Connection" paid off with restructure/hometown discount..........

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Hopefully this doesn’t cause him to start a fight with a funeral director and throw weights at people at his local gym.  

Richie lost his mind in part due to the fact that lesser guards were signing big contracts after he had just taken an incredibly ill-advised pay cut.

There won't be any DT of lesser quality than Star getting paid close to what he still is.

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Richie lost his mind in part due to the fact that lesser guards were signing big contracts after he had just taken an incredibly ill-advised pay cut.

There won't be any DT of lesser quality than Star getting paid close to what he still is.

correct because Star IS the lesser quality DT that was way overpaid. Now just a little overpaid 

8 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Just because fans don't like him or expect more it doesn't lessen what he may not bring to the team?     

That entire post is like the end speech in Animal House.?

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The first big UFA signing for McD.  In his world, run stuffing DTs at that kind of money are required.  But trust the process, right?

It should make everyone question how forward thinking the HC is when he's investing 25M guaranteed under the original contract terms to a DT that had regressed each season since his rookie year.  The snap count has fallen to 46-47% from his last 2 Carolina years of 66% and 59%. 

Not many modern NFL teams invest so much into the DT position like Buffalo has the past 3 off-seasons. 

Yeah our defense in which gave up and average of 16 points per game killed us.  2nd in the league is just unacceptable.

You obviously don’t believe you build a team in the trenches because you’re bitching about us investing in it.

Grow up.  

• Like (+1) 3

Is it terrible to have him in the DL room for 6 mill a year over the next 3 years?  As a locker room rotational DT I think he might be worth that.  He suits up every game almost every year.  That has value in itself.  We could be doing much worse with a backup DT

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GG said:

You mean other than the dozen or so posts in this thread showing his 2020 salary dropping by $1.75 million?

Because repeating the same source on this site is an indication of accuracy?  There have been plenty of "restructurings" that have not been what was initially reported.  I hope it means an actual "pay cut" but that is pretty rare.