Star Lotulelei takes a pay cut

JoeF

The Bills and starting DT Star Lotulelei have agreed to a restructured contract for the final three years of his deal. For 2020, Lotulelei’s base salary drops by $1.75M, but becomes fully guaranteed, with $2.5M in injury guarantees for 2021 added. Some benefit for both sides.

The guy takes a lot of grief -- but I think he does his job pretty well.  His contract is likely an overpay but this corrects it a bit.  Maybe room to sign Jordan Phillips.
Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 36
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

The Bills and starting DT Star Lotulelei have agreed to a restructured contract for the final three years of his deal. 

For 2020, Lotulelei’s base salary drops by $1.75M, but becomes fully guaranteed, with $2.5M in injury guarantees for 2021 added. Some benefit for both sides.

-per field Yates . Sorry couldn’t post picture from twitter

Edited by BillsMafi$

This will make a number of people happy, but honestly I don't think Star underperformed the way some on this board believe. IMHO, he did his job the way he was asked to do it and in the manner the Defense was designed for him to play in it....but, good for the team.

• Like (+1) 13

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Doesn’t look like a pay cut looks like they moved money around 

I don't think the injury guarantee is counted against the cap unless its paid.  Will know more once the details are published.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well he’s a Star..

So, now do we have $81M+ to spend??

Maybe the +$1 million equals able to cut Hausch-money so they can spend it on a capable Kicker?? Without sacrificing Cap money to be used on the rest of the team.

14 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

This will make a number of people happy, but honestly I don't think Star underperformed the way some on this board believe. IMHO, he did his job the way he was asked to do it and in the manner the Defense was designed for him to play in it....but, good for the team.

He was overpaid from the get go. Run stuffers aren't a premium position in the NFL and Star was paid a borderline top 10 salary at his position with a hefty guarantee. Star was good at his role of clogging up lanes and shifting along the line but he wasn't an elite player nor the type of player (interior disruptor) that defenses pay a lot for at his position. 

BUT that doesn't me had has no value, other than the few games in the middle of the season Star's play ranged from solid in the beginning to really good to close the season. Him taking a modest pay cut of close to 2 million simply makes him less overpaid which is a win win for both sides. The Bills get some cap space and Star gets security for 2020 and some guarantees for his 2021 salary. 

I think a lot of people got on him excessively failing to see that just because a player was overpaid for his position doesn't mean he doesn't bring value to the defense. 

• Like (+1) 6