Flex scheduling for MNF

Greg S

Bills games that I attend involve travel (99% of the time). That means flight plans, car rentals and hotel reservations generally made far in advance. If they jerk me around on that, I’d be ticked! However, it’s just one more sign that’s it’s all about the BIG TV dollars and the fans attending games are just icing on the cake and eligible for getting screwed if it means more TV money. 

It’s great if you’re sitting at home and want a better game, though. 

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

it was a total screw job on ESPN for spending that much $$$ and getting a dog game 90% of the time

and then the NFL sugarbabied NBC into having their pick of the week for the Sunday night game

The nfl did a bait and switch.  The Sunday games weren’t all that good and Monday night usually had really good games. ESPN paid for that but then nbc came in and got flexing and higher quality.

the flexing is a non brainer

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

The nfl did a bait and switch.  The Sunday games weren’t all that good and Monday night usually had really good games. ESPN paid for that but then nbc came in and got flexing and higher quality.

the flexing is a non brainer

yup, tougher for MNF though, sadly

24 minutes ago, Liberal Bob said:

This is very common with powerhouse college football games where it is not uncommon to find out game time until the Monday before that weekend  a 5 day notice. TV is in complete control

I’m sure that’s often the case, and I could generally work with it. Change the actual game day and my travel plans are in shambles. 

I know some people love those prime time games, and I find it exciting as well. Thanksgiving this year was awesome! (Winning helps, of course.)  But I can live with the ritual of a 1:00PM Sunday routine. Works for me, I know what to expect. 

To each their own, I guess. 

2 hours ago, Liberal Bob said:

This is very common with powerhouse college football games where it is not uncommon to find out game time until the Monday before that weekend  a 5 day notice. TV is in complete control

Never ran into a dramatic change of over a decade of attending college games

moving it from noon to 3:30 is not remotely close to a catastrophe

55 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Never ran into a dramatic change of over a decade of attending college games

moving it from noon to 3:30 is not remotely close to a catastrophe

I go to every Penn St game and it is a huge difference if a game is played at noon instead of 8 pm…. happens all the time in college

2 minutes ago, Liberal Bob said:

I go to every Penn St game and it is a huge difference if a game is played at noon instead of 8 pm…. happens all the time in college

I’ll give you that for sure. I like to know what to expect. Changing the hour can be tough. Changing the DAY could SUCK! 

2 hours ago, Liberal Bob said:

All the time meaning maybe once a year?

okay....

ESPN got stuck with crappy games on Monday because when they previously had the rights to Sunday night on ESPN and Monday on ABC, they lowballed the NFL on bids for both thinking they had no completion for the Sunday night rights after CBS and FOX re-upped for the Sunday afternoons .

When NBC came in with the winning bid for Sunday, the NFL  decided to shift the high profile games from Monday to the Sunday night slot and leave ESPN with a bunch of garbage divisional games on Monday.  Based on the ratings for Sunday night, this has paid off for the NFL, not so great for ESPN.  

If they make this change to appease ESPN, this would be a total screw job for the fans - people start making travel plans in April when the schedule is released.  Changes like this and trying to cram a 17 games schedule down the throats of the players after all their bull#### about player safety just shows the insatiable greed of the owners.  But as long as we keep watching, buying tickets and jerseys, this will not change. 

22 hours ago, Logic said:

giphy.gif

That would be absolutely TERRIBLE for fans traveling to the games. It's great for the TV audience, sure, but its AWFUL for live attendees. Awful. 

The revenue lost by say 10% of the fans of a team that gets flexed and are pissed about it and no longer spend money with the NFL is pretty small.  Back of napkin math - figure 10% of 70,000 fans X 8 flexed games X $200/fan that they will no longer spend on the NFL = $11.2M in lost revenue.  I'm not counting ticket sales because you have to figure thats a sunk cost and someone else will buy those tickets up locally.  Then figure back in the additional money the new fans who buy up those tickets spend - lets assume $100 each - now you're down to less than $6M in lost revenue.  The NFL will more than make that up if, by flexing, they're in theory getting a better game that more people will watch.  

Just my two cents.

32 minutes ago, Nester said:

This move is very Anti fan

people plan to go to these games at great expense 

i guess all the fans in the lives of the decision-makers have nothing better to do with their week than sit there waiting to see if they go to the game Sunday morn or night, or Monday night now?

1 hour ago, chaccof said:

The revenue lost by say 10% of the fans of a team that gets flexed and are pissed about it and no longer spend money with the NFL is pretty small.  Back of napkin math - figure 10% of 70,000 fans X 8 flexed games X $200/fan that they will no longer spend on the NFL = $11.2M in lost revenue.  I'm not counting ticket sales because you have to figure thats a sunk cost and someone else will buy those tickets up locally.  Then figure back in the additional money the new fans who buy up those tickets spend - lets assume $100 each - now you're down to less than $6M in lost revenue.  The NFL will more than make that up if, by flexing, they're in theory getting a better game that more people will watch.  

Just my two cents.

Two cents? That evaluation is not worth one.