Are there any high risk players worth a gamble?

HOUSE

This guy has a ton of talent but they keep finding weed in his car. But he says its all behind him now :rolleyes:

26 years old, former basket ball player, big and can make the tough catches against smaller DBs.

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, mattynh said:

I think AJ Green is the risky guy to talk about.  High price, high output if healthy.....the risk obviously is IF HEALTHY.   Green Beckham does not seem like a McBeane type, but the risk would be low, he would not require a monster contract.

Minimum deal, prove it contract, any trouble SEE YA !

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

This guy has a ton of talent but they keep finding weed in his car. But he says its all behind him now :rolleyes:

26 years old, former basket ball player, big and can make the tough catches against smaller DBs.

Dorial Green Beckham hasn’t played since the 2016 season.  Why would you want to bother?  He’s not even playing in the CFL or XFL.  Hard pass.

In general, I’ve got no problem taking small gambles on potentially big payoffs.  They usually don’t work out, but that’s why you draft those players on day 3.  Or sign them to an incentive laden contract with low guarantees. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Green has a lot of hard miles on him.

Just think about playing the scavengers and squeelers 2 times a year for your career.

They like to hit hard and punishing the Bengals best weapon would be high on the to do list.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

He was waved by the Eagles in June 2017, before his two most recent weed offenses

Hasn't played since the 2016 season

When he did play, catch rate <50% and his best year (of the two he played) was 549 yds. 

There are plenty of WR FA with better stats who have played more recently and don't have his baggage.  He seems to fall in the category "guys who haven't shown enough to be worth the risk"

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Don't we have someone like him on the roster already...aka Duke Williams?

Negative, Duke 1) has not been arrested 2x for weed since the last time he played 2) spent time on a 53 man roster last season 3) caught 63% of balls thrown at him 4) in 4 games, gained 166 yds which projects to >600 yds in a 16 game season

29 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Minimum deal, prove it contract, any trouble SEE YA !

But you can bring in players who have shown as much or more, and who don't have his baggage.  Why even give him a 90 spot vs someone who's played more recently and shown similar?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Negative, Duke 1) has not been arrested 2x for weed since the last time he played 2) spent time on a 53 man roster last season 3) caught 63% of balls thrown at him 4) in 4 games, gained 166 yds which projects to >600 yds in a 16 game season

I was basing my statement on "big and can make the tough catches against smaller DBs."  Who is also a risk coming from the CFL and was on the practice roster the majority of the year.

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine

23 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Dorial Green Beckham hasn’t played since the 2016 season.  Why would you want to bother?  He’s not even playing in the CFL or XFL.  Hard pass.

In general, I’ve got no problem taking small gambles on potentially big payoffs.  They usually don’t work out, but that’s why you draft those players on day 3.  Or sign them to an incentive laden contract with low guarantees. 

Probably not allowed in Canada....lol

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I was basing my statement on "big and can make the tough catches against smaller DBs."  Who is also a risk coming from the CFL and was on the practice roster the majority of the year.

? Duke only played 4 games.  But he was on the 53-man roster for 12 games, only on the practice squad the first 4.

But if Dorial Green-Beckham had beat feet to a CFL roster and played his ass off the last 3 seasons with no trouble, I could be more of the "take a look" mind.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

? Duke only played 4 games.  But he was on the 53-man roster for 12 games, only on the practice squad the first 4.

Fair enough; barely SAW THE FIELD.

4 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Then again, can he really make the tough catches?  

I don't expect Beane to take on any high risk players.  I can't think of one that is worth spending money to get.  AJ Green is a decent guy but has developed an injury history that is typical for players his age.  When you look back at the recent moves made by the Bills, they haven't signed any head cases or players with any red flag character issues.  There are other low risk options available to address the Bill's roster issues.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I don't expect Beane to take on any high risk players.  I can't think of one that is worth spending money to get.  AJ Green is a decent guy but has developed an injury history that is typical for players his age.  When you look back at the recent moves made by the Bills, they haven't signed any head cases or players with any red flag character issues.  There are other low risk options available to address the Bill's roster issues.

They signed some injury risk players to decent money such as Trent Murphy and Kroft.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Fair enough; barely SAW THE FIELD.

Then again, can he really make the tough catches?  

Duke made some tough catches.  He missed some he could have had.  He did better actually than a bunch of guys we had previously or proposed as alternatives (like D G-B.  or Devin Funchess in all but the 3rd of his 5 seasons).

He's functionally a rookie in the NFL.   Many of us give Dawson Knox a "pass" on literally dropping 1 out of every 5 passes thrown in his direction (roughly 1 out of 4 catchable throws) because "rookie and he'll get better".  So there's a chance if Duke is motivated and working his butt off, he'll get better.

I love me some Dawson Knox and I hope so too, but I don't want the outcome next year to ride on hopes for improvement.   Same with Duke.

I would like to see upgrades brought in at both TE and WR, but I don't see Dorial G-B (or Devin Funchess) as that "upgrade" to Duke.

• Like (+1) 2