PFF Baker is still better than Allen & Tre isn't in their top 101 players

Reed83HOF

Allen will get all the love if he can improve his deep ball accuracy. The kid is a playmaker missing a big part of the game to make him a complete weapon. I think we all agree he's never going to be Mr Hyper Accurate; I don't think he needs to. Between his arm, hitting the deep ball, and his running, his ceiling is high indeed. Getting him a "catch anything in his vicinity" type would help immensely (sorry for the Captain Obvious observation since that type of receiver helps any quarterback) but Allen moreso. It was a little shocking watching him miss so many earlier in the year; it's frustrating as well since many of those throws are probably touchdowns.

There's no guarantees but if Jordan Palmer is right (let's face it his job is to say everything is going to be AWESOME), then Allen makes a quantum leap this year and those misses/near misses become touchdowns or at least easy red zone opportunities. He could finish in the 30+ TD passes range, along with whatever he runs for; this puts him in Lamar Jackson territory. If that happens (big if) it will be amusing to watch the analysts trip over themselves to correct their takes. Or in the case of Football Outsiders: to come up with increasingly outrageous reasons why it's all a mirage and Josh is still a scrub.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thurst44 said:

The weirdest thing is PFF LOVED Tre his rookie year. He was their DROY. Still a bit baffled how they can argue that a guy who led the league in interceptions, was second in QBR against, and who did not allow a single TD in a season is regressing and not even a top 10 cornerback. If your metric does not put a guy like that even in your top 100 players, it's probably your metric that's wrong.

Also, have they ever talked about Sean McDermott, because given he's one of four teams that don't even have one top 101 player, he's got his team solidly in the playoffs. They must believe he's the second coming of Lombardi (or at least the love child of Belichick and Reid).

They hate White now because he made Duck Hodges look bad on that interception play he made against him.

1 hour ago, Romie said:

Lol he's got something personal against Allen. No need for the jab there.  Why did he pick Allen?  He forgot Darnold and Rosen.

Well, this is what you may chalk up to an "agenda" type item, where their pre-draft analysis has to be proven mostly right after the fact (whoopsies on that Rosen #3 and Rudolph #4 ranking...) and they heavily pushed Mayfield all the way at #1 to take. This article may or may not be paywall:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/04/12/why-pff-low-popular-bills-mock-draft-target-josh-allen-mayfield-rosen-darnold-jackson-rudolph-pro-football-focus-quarterback/

"In researching Allen, one prominent dissenting opinion comes from the analytic site Pro Football Focus. While most outlets consider Allen to be in the mix with USC's Sam Darnold, UCLA's Josh Rosen and Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield for the top four spots in a very deep quarterback class, PFF's draft guide ranks Allen a distant sixth, plugging him below Oklahoma State's Mason Rudolph and Louisville's Lamar Jackson.

Allen ranks 35th on their Big Board, making him a fringe first-round prospect at best."

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, wiley16350 said:

Actually Mayfield only had 4 more turnovers than Allen when you combine fumbles and Interceptions.  I do believe they're biased against Josh because I see it in their writings and the things they say.  I don't know how much that effects the grade but I do know that it distorts the narrative they have about him.  My post wasn't to defend PFF, it was to explain why their rating of Allen is what it is.  I think the rating is flawed because they put too much weight on big plays and not enough on the short to intermediate game that is necessary to win in the NFL.  Big plays matter but just the threat alone can be enough to make a team successful if their really good at the short and intermediate.  When it comes to grading QB's, I don't like their system mostly because of that.

I don't think they rate running and fumbling for QB's, do they?

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Mayfield: 21 interceptions + 2 fumbles lost = 23

Allen: 9 interceptions = 4 fumbles lost = 13

23-13 = 10. ;)

Also worth noting Josh had +4 tds. 

I gotcha... PFF's problem is that they ignore football and look at arbitrary statistics that don't mean *****. 

This is really all that needs to be said about the conversation, honestly. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any metric that has enough weight to remove all of the above statistics in this conversation. Maybe just straight up QB wins, but we know who has more of those as well. 

And they forgot to factor in QB rushing #'s:

Allen =  109 rushes for 510 yards generating 42 first downs

Mayfield = 28 rushes for 141 yards generating 15 first downs.

IMO PFF has no credibility in their rankings.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

They hate White now because he made Duck Hodges look bad on that interception play he made against him.

Well hey then where's our dose o' Poyer and Levi Wallace "PFF Hate" cuz they too picked that Duck clean!?

Poyer under-valued Again!  And while you're at it, PFF-boys, can you hate on Shaq, Trent, and Milano?  All fumbles forced in that game....

?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, whatdrought said:

23-13 = 10. ;)

I gotcha... PFF's problem is that they ignore football and look at arbitrary statistics that don't mean *****. 

This is really all that needs to be said about the conversation, honestly. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any metric that has enough weight to remove all of the above statistics in this conversation. Maybe just straight up QB wins, but we know who has more of those as well. 

PFF is trying to analyze a game they know nothing about. Not a knock to any guys that never played but love the game. I only played til senior in high school. 

The value of players is determined by so much more than the raw numbers. It's just like the Tre White or any Bill not being in the top 101 players.  Tre would be a top 3 CB pick for me if I'm a GM. I bet at least 30 Gms agree Him and Allen are dogs , they listen to their eternal voices , they lead by example and the list goes on. 

I could give two Fs what his player grade is from a system that is flawed beyond belief , don't take situational football into account and they're just a mess..

All I care about - Do I think Josh Allen can bring a Lombardi to Buffalo and my gut always says Yes. 

The rest is irrelevant

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, whatdrought said:

23-13 = 10. ;)

Yup, this^^^

let’s all completely ignore everything they put out, meaning zero clicks,  what say you fellas & ladies? 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Well, this is what you may chalk up to an "agenda" type item, where their pre-draft analysis has to be proven mostly right after the fact (whoopsies on that Rosen #3 and Rudolph #4 ranking...) and they heavily pushed Mayfield all the way at #1 to take. This article may or may not be paywall:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/04/12/why-pff-low-popular-bills-mock-draft-target-josh-allen-mayfield-rosen-darnold-jackson-rudolph-pro-football-focus-quarterback/

"In researching Allen, one prominent dissenting opinion comes from the analytic site Pro Football Focus. While most outlets consider Allen to be in the mix with USC's Sam Darnold, UCLA's Josh Rosen and Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield for the top four spots in a very deep quarterback class, PFF's draft guide ranks Allen a distant sixth, plugging him below Oklahoma State's Mason Rudolph and Louisville's Lamar Jackson.

Allen ranks 35th on their Big Board, making him a fringe first-round prospect at best."

Man, going back at that and looking at their grades, how could PFF have Mayfield graded so much higher than Allen for rushing?  I mean lots of other things, but RUSHING? 

SMDH.

I sure hope the Bills aren't one of the teams that relies on their analytics so much because I think their models must have some big-time flaws in them.

33 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Why are people still talking about poor football focus? 

One word:  Offseason