PFF Baker is still better than Allen & Tre isn't in their top 101 players

Reed83HOF

Not really surprised about Baker and Allen. Clear to me who the winner of those two is, though. The guy who got his team to the playoffs.

Not having Tre White, first team all-pro, on your top 100 list? That's hilarious. He stacks up in every statistical category as an elite corner... except his PFF grade? Haha. Ok. I sure hope Tre sees this and wants to prove them how wrong they are. Same with Allen, for that matter.

PFF seems to be the perfect example of the old cliché, "can't see the forest for the trees."

They get so mired in stats that they create themselves that it is almost like they aren't seeing the full body of work of a player. Do they even take into account what type of defenses each team plays, who they were matched up against (caliber of player...did they always guard the #1 or not), weather conditions, whether they were playing with a lead or having to come back, the validity of their offense, how long are they on the field, were some of the receptions allowed when the team was playing prevent defense (so you're going to allow receptions underneath), etc., etc.? There is so much to take into account regarding what type of season a player had that you can't boil it down to just a couple of stats.

And to that point, they also seem to cherry pick said stats to make a point or to prove they are correct. In the article they use two stats to say that Tre is not a top 101 player. TWO. Yards surrendered per snap and catches allowed, in which case Tre is ranked 26th and like 40th. Basically they are saying that you can throw out all of his other stats and just use those two to prove he isn't as good as you might think. Doesn't matter that he did not allow a TD (isn't that the main point of the game on defense, to not let the other team score? Isn't that more important than say allowing 1 yard more per reception across the season), throw out his league leading 6 interceptions and league leading 8 turnovers (Tre had two forced fumbles as well), forget that he is tied for 4th in passes defended. As the PFF article states, "the PFF grade captures all of the ways those numbers can mislead or paint an inaccurate picture." But then they don't tell you how. Apparently, it's their little secret. It also appears to me that they have quite large egos over there. Our stats/metrics know way better than any other stats or stat system, better than pro bowl voters, better than AP All Pro voters, better than the BillsMafia who have watched every snap by Tre over three seasons. They are just so full of themselves.

OneBillsLive had one of the guys from PFF on recently and he was trying to explain their system. And it still sounds pretty subjective to me. He said (approximately), we watch every snap by every player. But in order to do so, we have to hire a lot of people to do this (one small group of people can't do it all). So, they basically hire freelancers to help. And then those people (whose qualifications we know not) watch the plays of a particular player and decide things like was that a catchable ball or a bad pass, etc. You can have this great system and be amazing number crunchers, but at the core of the system, it seems that it is still just people making subjective judgements. So, how they can claim that that is a more accurate judge than actual stats that matter in a game (like TDs and turnovers) is beyond me.

I can understand that there is still a bit of a wait and see approach with Josh for a lot of people, especially people who were so vocally down on him during his draft, but to basically say that, "Eh, Tre White isn't really as good as he seems, bloated stats, he's maybe a top 10 corner, top 30 DB," seems crazy. As others said, it is hard to take these guys seriously and I don't think I will again even if and when they have a Buffalo Bill ranked highly (like they did with Jerry Hughes for pressures in 2018).

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1

Eh, this Sam guy from PFF only seems interested in stirring the pot on twitter these days. Hey may know what he’s talking about a little bit, but throughout the past season and obviously up to present he’s just a **** online and idk if PFF thinks this helps their brand, but god help them if they do. He’s a troll at this point. 

remember folks - PFF ratings are entirely subjective at the end of the day (at least their core player ratings are.) there is objective stuff there too, but obviously skewed through the “minds” of people like Sam here. If you want raw numbers and make up your own mind, go somewhere like pro football reference or similar.

• Like (+1) 1

PFFs schtick when it comes to the Bills is obvious

Trash the players , especially the ones that were really good(like Tre) and get a whole bunch of clicks..

That is ALL THEY WANT... To get you to click. They don't care if you agree or not , heck they probably want you hating their stuff

No publicity is bad publicity

• Like (+1) 3

Baker has shown more with his arm through the air than Allen has, but only sporadically this year. He's clearly regressed, fat and looks entitled.

Allen PROGRESSED this year and is 10 times the athlete that Mayfield is and looks like he wants to win. Allen has worse receivers

Advantage Allen

Not adding Tre is so ridiculous it makes their entire site a heaping pile of trash.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, I don’t care about wives and girlfriends pics in bathing suits, but it is stupid they would make it on PFF.  I agree it is a sin Tre didn’t make the list, but look at the bright side.  If this even slightly annoys him, he’ll have bulletin board material for himself.

As far as PFF, I just don’t go to their site ever as they seem to repeatedly make foolish statements about so many players and teams.  The only way I even know anything on their site other than a long time ago reading it, I now only see what they post when you guys place in a thread.  This was a good laugh, and really shows their colors.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the same moron that was mad because Daniel Jones went ahead of Will Grier.

The same fool that is championing a 29 year old RB/WR/TE hybrid with 13 career passing attempts and zero TDs as the next great NFL QB.

The same dolt that told us that Vlad Ducasse was the 7th-best OLman in football:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-the-nfls-top-pass-blockers-in-pure-pass-sets

Pretty sure we can easily dismiss what Sam says as total and complete horse ?

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2