What are Some of the Biggest Head Scratchers Made by Bills Ownership/FO in Bills History ?

T master

8 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

While hiring Rex was horrible in hindsight, I think a lot of people thought it was a good hire at the time.   OTOH, drafting Spilled when they had Lynch was met with almost universal puzzlement.

I hated the Rex hire from moment dot. I hated it more than the Jauron hire and the Gailey hire. And that says something. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I hated the Rex hire from moment dot. I hated it more than the Jauron hire and the Gailey hire. And that says something. 

Certainly some people hated the Rex hire from day one but, in general, it was regarded as a risky but understandable move by both fans and media.  Same with a lot of other things mentioned in this thread such as the Bledsoe trade.

To be a true head-scratcher both the media and fans have to be pretty much wtf from the moment it occurred.  After reading this thread I would rank them as follows

(1) Johnson over Flutie

(2) Drafting Spiller with Beastmode and Freddy already on the team

(3) Naming Nate Peterman as opening day starter based on one good pre-season game.

(4) Hiring Marv as GM when he was almost 80

(5) Extending Jauron based on a 5-2 start against a bunch of bad teams.

If you look back there was a lot of initial support for the other stuff mentioned in the thread.

23 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Certainly some people hated the Rex hire from day one but, in general, it was regarded as a risky but understandable move by both fans and media.  Same with a lot of other things mentioned in this thread such as the Bledsoe trade.

To be a true head-scratcher both the media and fans have to be pretty much wtf from the moment it occurred.  After reading this thread I would rank them as follows

(1) Johnson over Flutie

(2) Drafting Spiller with Beastmode and Freddy already on the team

(3) Naming Nate Peterman as opening day starter based on one good pre-season game.

(4) Hiring Marv as GM when he was almost 80

(5) Extending Jauron based on a 5-2 start against a bunch of bad teams.

If you look back there was a lot of initial support for the other stuff mentioned in the thread.

I hated the Rex hire more than almost all of those. I will give you #3. That made less sense. 

Back in the day when Chuck Knox was coach, don’t remember who the GM was they drafted Gary Anderson, kicker out of Syracuse and cut him after the preseason when he missed a couple near 50 yard FG’s and kept the incumbent Nick Mickameyer (sp?). The Steelers immediately grabbed him up and Anderson went on to be a perennial All-Pro and one of the best place kickers of all time.

Don’t know why that boneheaded move sticks in my head after all these years, but it does.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Allowing a call from the USFL Houston Gamblers to be put through to Kelly and his agent while they were at OBD negotiating with the Bills in 1983. 

Actually that might have be n the best thing as by not having Kelly it allowed us to to be in  position to draft Bruce and Andre in 1985 and it allowed Kelly to develop in the USFL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

Back in the day when Chuck Knox was coach, don’t remember who the GM was they drafted Gary Anderson, kicker out of Syracuse and cut him after the preseason when he missed a couple near 50 yard FG’s and kept the incumbent Nick Mickameyer (sp?). The Steelers immediately grabbed him up and Anderson went on to be a perennial All-Pro and one of the best place kickers of all time.

Don’t know why that boneheaded move sticks in my head after all these years, but it does.

The real story there is that Anderson didn't want to play for the Bills.  He missed those kicks on purpose, forcing the Bills to cut him.  If there's a boneheaded part on the Bills, it wasn't talking to Anderson before they drafted him, to see what his intentions were.

• Like (+1) 1

Little Donte

Maybin

Mike Williams

McGahee

Letting Winfield walk

Rex Ryan

Brandon as GM

Marv as GM

2 1sts for Sammy

Overpaying for Star

Extended GMs Donahoe and Whaley

Rob Johnson

Not stopping Kelly in the SB and letting Thurman run

Not extending Jason Peters

Spiller

Extending Fitz

Edited by BigBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Hiring WRex Ryan as HC.

While I agree on all the others they happened under Ralphs watch.

The one I am leaving in the quote is the current regimes sin.

The D was just coming into its own under Jimbo Schwartz`s 4-3 Wide 9 scheme and they hire a 3-4 Head Coach and blow it all up.

Man was I pissed :(

55 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Revamped ‘Billy Buffalo’.

Hey we didn`t make the playoffs with `Old Billy`

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

The real story there is that Anderson didn't want to play for the Bills.  He missed those kicks on purpose, forcing the Bills to cut him.  If there's a boneheaded part on the Bills, it wasn't talking to Anderson before they drafted him, to see what his intentions were.

Interesting. I had never heard that before. A little hard to believe, but I’ll take your word for it. Boy, and all those years I spent sticking needles in that Chuck Knox voodoo doll, lol !

The Levy/Jauron draft in 2006 set this team back 5 years. It was SO bad that most posters on this board knew how much it would hurt the team (although, a few actually defended it).

They entered the draft with the #8 in rounds 1 & 2, and 2 top ten picks in round 3. 4 early picks in the first 3 rounds!!! The net result?  DB Whitner (mediocre and cost 36 million in real cap dollars), McCargo (DL who completely sucked), and DB Ashton Youboty (just awful).  Oh, and the draft was stacked with good players.

Not painful enough? They grabbed another horrible DB, Ko Simpson in round 4.

Levy and Jauron were two clowns, at the sub-basement level of Rich Kotite. 

PS: I don't care that they drafted Kyle Williams in the 5th in that draft. That was pure luck. Nobody else thought that he was any good. I would have been more impressed if they took him early.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The Levy/Jauron draft in 2006 set this team back 5 years. It was SO bad that most posters on this board knew how much it would hurt the team (although, a few actually defended it).

They entered the draft with the #8 in rounds 1 & 2, and 2 top ten picks in round 3. 4 early picks in the first 3 rounds!!! The net result?  DB Whitner (mediocre and cost 36 million in real cap dollars), McCargo (DL who completely sucked), and DB Ashton Youboty (just awful).  Oh, and the draft was stacked with good players.

Not painful enough? They grabbed another horrible DB, Ko Simpson in round 4.

Levy and Jauron were two clowns, at the sub-basement level of Rich Kotite. 

PS: I don't care that they drafted Kyle Williams in the 5th in that draft. That was pure luck. Nobody else thought that he was any good. I would have been more impressed if they took him early.

I think they even traded up for McCargo. It was so obvious that his numbers were inflated from playing along side Mario Williams and (I’m not going to look it up) was it Manny Lawson? In any case I agree, this draft was garbage

4 minutes ago, jdonley1180 said:

I think they even traded up for McCargo. It was so obvious that his numbers were inflated from playing along side Mario Williams and (I’m not going to look it up) was it Manny Lawson? In any case I agree, this draft was garbage

Yea was Lawson and Mario.... both of whom ended up on the Bills of course....

#1 - the lack of discipline under marv levy and lack of leadership from players to refrain from partying during 90's

#2- putting a marketing guy in charge (brandon) who hired Rex to sell tickets which resulted in a total roster turnover shifting to 3-4 defense.