Anyone Else Here Ever Ride On the Comet?

T&C

3 minutes ago, holmz56 said:

Used to ride Comet at Chrystal Beach for Kenmore Days but I thought the Wild Mouse was crazier !

Thanks for this... I rode the Wild Mouse before the Comet, must have made the height or being with a parent. Close to the mini golf thing they had.

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My mother's favorite ride!  The Wild Mouse!

My Dad loved that one... and the Scrambler. We closed the park a couple of times on the Scrambler.

First time I ever saw woman's underthings was at that park... the guys running the air jets were as dirty as I am today.

• Like (+1) 1

There was a bullet ride at Crystal Beach that my sister and I decided we wanted to go on when we were about 7 and 8.  I recall the attendant being skeptical, but allowing us on. 

Somehow, our seatbelts were never fastened and we ended up smushed and screaming at the bottom of the bullet head.

Guy stopped the ride after a turn or two, we got off crying, and were scarred for life. ? Good times.

Now about those great candy suckers...

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

For the people that are confused... The current Comet is a combination of three.  Used to part of the Crystal Beach Cyclone, then the Crystal Beach Comet, NOW the Great Escape Comet... From @Gugny 's review... Still sounds like the same painful Comet.  I guess.my joke fell flat.

There's no need to guess.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

There was a bullet ride at Crystal Beach that my sister and I decided we wanted to go on when we were about 7 and 8.  I recall the attendant being skeptical, but allowing us on. 

Somehow, our seatbelts were never fastened and we ended up smushed and screaming at the bottom of the bullet head.

Guy stopped the ride after a turn or two, we got off crying, and were scarred for life. ? Good times.

LoL... Remember the chains in the parking lot? In 1977 I was chasing my olderbrother going back to car from lunch.  Remember the days when people didn't eat in park, but packed their own food. Anyway, I wad chasing my Bro as we were hurdling the chains (vehicle row dividers)... I caught one and BOOM, went down like a sack of potatoes on the grass.. I instantly knew my left elbow was broken... Nobody believed me.  Anyway... Being in Canada... My parents finally decided to take me back over the bridge and to the hospital... Sure enough, broken.  Had to have surgery and pins.  Pins still in my elbow till this day... Not sure why they put permanent pins in... My son had a bronen elbow, about same age (2005) and the Ortho removed his after the cast came off. 

Oh... Before the water slides went in a year later... The Park offered free tix.  In the days before people really sued, why would we sue?   My fault...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

What was the Bullet ride? Have no recollection of that one. Do remember the suckers though.

25 minutes ago, T&C said:

Thanks for this... I rode the Wild Mouse before the Comet, must have made the height or being with a parent. Close to the mini golf thing they had.

My Dad loved that one... and the Scrambler. We closed the park a couple of times on the Scrambler.

First time I ever saw woman's underthings was at that park... the guys running the air jets were as dirty as I am today.

Should I  be saying this?  Statue limitations up?

My best friend's friend from college... His family had a beach house right next to the park.  After they closed in 1989... We got liquored up and went comando... Snuck in.  Got a few choice things... Got into: "Laff in the Dark" ride... Few different things there... Like an ape face relief plaque.  

Boy... Security sucked in those days?  What would they do to us?  Deport us? Pre-passport days.

• Like (+1) 1

Any thread about roller coasters must mention Space Mountain

In all seriousness, The Comet was the big, bad, boogeyman of WNY/S. Ontario rollercoasters until Darien Lake and Canada's Wonderland opened.  My mom & dad took us to Crystal Beach at least every summer.  We rode coasters, water slides, and then gorged on funnel cakes.  Good times.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Should I  be saying this?  Statue limitations up?

My best friend's friend from college... His family had a beach house right next to the park.  After they closed in 1989... We got liquored up and went comando... Snuck in.  Got a few choice things... Got into: "Laff in the Dark" ride... Few different things there... Like an ape face relief plaque.  

Boy... Security sucked in those days?  What would they do to us?  Deport us? Pre-passport days.

Very cool... would have probably done the same in that proximity.

Just now, T&C said:

Very cool... would have probably done the same in that proximity.

Literally... They border right by The Wild Mouse... If I recall, just a little section of public beach...I think the ape face is still hanging in my Brother's (Parent's House) garage.  Gotta take a look next time I visit.  Crazy...  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

One of the Buffalo supermarkets used to give free ride tickets for every A or B you got on your report card. It was a great incentive to do homework and get good grades!

I think it was Super Duper... not completely sure but I got those tickets as a kid and we shopped there.

33 minutes ago, T&C said:

What was the Bullet ride? Have no recollection of that one. Do remember the suckers though.

Same here @Buffalo_Gal... I just asked my wife, she has no recollection either....They went every year too with her father's work picnic.  (We) Don't recall the Bullet.

19 minutes ago, T&C said:

I think it was Super Duper... not completely sure but I got those tickets as a kid and we shopped there.

Slightly off topic... But on subject of free tix. That's how we got all our BFLo Braves tix.  Remember Dairylea milk?  We'd have to cut the cartons and redeem.  For the Oranges, but we'd move down to Blues @ The Aud.  Where I first acquired vertigo!

25 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

One of the Buffalo supermarkets used to give free ride tickets for every A or B you got on your report card. It was a great incentive to do homework and get good grades!

Thinking about this for a bit, it could also have been A&P... we shopped there sometime too.

12 minutes ago, T&C said:

Thinking about this for a bit, it could also have been A&P... we shopped there sometime too.

Wow!  Such an awesome thread!  A&P!  Flash from the past!  We'd shop there too.  One on Walden in Cheektowaga, across from where Galleria is today.  Remember the Eight O'Clock coffee grinders at the registers?  Check out lady would grind the coffees you wanted.  I think it was Eight O'Clock?   I was little and had my hand slapped by the cashier.  I was ***** -ing around, putting my hands near the grinder... She whalloped me, then my mom whalloped me.  I deserved it!  Still got 10 fingers 47 years later!  Thanks Guys!  LoL...

2 hours ago, T&C said:

We might get up that way later this year, I don't know, might be the next depending on what goes on with family health issues... but I will ride that mofo one last time.

Let me know if you do and want to grab a beer!

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, T&C said:

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Neighborhoods, churches and factories all had discount days at Crystal Beach, and through the years several different grocery store chains, including Loblaws and later Super Duper, gave out free ride tickets for good grades on your report card.Jul 2, 2019
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1