Do you think McBeane see Cody Ford as the answer at RT moving forward?

njbuff

i don’t think Ford has the quickness out of his stance to play RT. If he lost a few lbs and worked on his quickness and footwork he might pan out as a RT. It was his rookie year so you are going to see good and bad. I would see how he does in his 2nd year before I make a permanent move inside to guard. I would still put a high priority in FA/Draft to find a guy who can play OT. 

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Saw this today:
image.png.4dd5dde0d46897623f4b0658d6ca23cf.png

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

Not 1 OLman on the team rated out as a top 10

Oliver was 7th for Pass Rush win rate as  DT, Phillips was not on there :o

I think the team blocking rate is probably accurate. For the most part Dawkins held his own. Spain was stellar in pass blocking. Morse and Feleciano were ok. As this thread has pointed out, the real issue is RT. Either Ford gets better or they need an upgrade in talent.

On 2/9/2020 at 9:18 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, Bob, I’m not sure.  Something is off with our run blocking, I think.  I haven’t had the stomach to go back and try to sort what.  But I’m not sure Spain is the right LG to lock up with a big contract - not saying he isn’t, just unsure.  I tend to feel overall that Feliciano did a better job than Spain.  And Ford has played LG, but never RG.  

I’m not saying an upgrade at RT isn’t the thing, I’m just not sure it’s sufficient

Everything I’ve read had Spain graded as our top lineman in him position.  He played just about every snap too 

Im not saying give him a big contract either.  

On 2/9/2020 at 8:18 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, Bob, I’m not sure.  Something is off with our run blocking, I think.  I haven’t had the stomach to go back and try to sort what.  But I’m not sure Spain is the right LG to lock up with a big contract 

I would hate re-signing Spain to a long term deal. He's just OK. It's nice to have "good" players, but the offensive line desperately needs guys that push the LOS and LG is an ideal spot for this type of player. I'm not so sure that player is on the current roster. We harp on the RT position, but I'm just as, if not more concerned about LG. 

There's a reason our backs were so ineffective in short yardage situations; the line generated little to no push. I think we need to add a back, but I also think "we" need to find a way to field a 5 man unit able to push a defense BACKWARDS. There were some glaring, obvious issues with pass pro at RT, but I think we're overlooking the line's run blocking deficiencies.

Frankly, the pass pro was decent overall. Run blocking, not so much.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Everything I’ve read had Spain graded as our top lineman in him position.  He played just about every snap too 

Im not saying give him a big contract either.  

He's a very good pass blocker, but he's a below average run blocker. I prefer an LG that pushes the line. Maybe we can get Cogs back. I kid. But the line would be well served to have that type of player as opposed to a Spain. MAYBE Ford is the answer, but that remains to be seen. 

Edited by LSHMEAB

17 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would hate re-signing Spain to a long term deal. He's just OK. It's nice to have "good" players, but the offensive line desperately needs guys that push the LOS and LG is an ideal spot for this type of player. I'm not so sure that player is on the current roster. We harp on the RT position, but I'm just as, if not more concerned about LG. 

There's a reason our backs were so ineffective in short yardage situations; the line generated little to no push. I think we need to add a back, but I also think "we" need to find a way to field a 5 man unit able to push a defense BACKWARDS. There were some glaring, obvious issues with pass pro at RT, but I think we're overlooking the line's run blocking deficiencies.

Frankly, the pass pro was decent overall. Run blocking, not so much.

I think this is where I am: Good pass blocking, need to take a step up to have a reliable run game.

Although at times when there was a pocket and protection held, the line did seem to get shoved back in Allen's lap

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think this is where I am: Good pass blocking, need to take a step up to have a reliable run game.

Although at times when there was a pocket and protection held, the line did seem to get shoved back in Allen's lap

No doubt. I think Dawkins is "strong," especially for an LT. I think Felciano is "strong." Other than that.....

It's tough to know how much of this falls on Rob Johnson. I wasn't particularly impressed with HIS run game coordination, but anyone is better than Castillo. I would have to assume this is more of a personnel issue.

It's not like you need to have 5 guys on the OL capable of dominating at the point of attack. But I think you gotta have at least one. Morse and Dawkins are steady, so you've got a "solid" combo at LT/C. That's important. But looking back, I tend to agree that while the line generally "held up" in pass pro, they were too often moving backwards.

33 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It's not like you need to have 5 guys on the OL capable of dominating at the point of attack. But I think you gotta have at least one. Morse and Dawkins are steady, so you've got a "solid" combo at LT/C. That's important. But looking back, I tend to agree that while the line generally "held up" in pass pro, they were too often moving backwards.

Your assessment of Morse as “ steady” is a little underwhelming considering what they are paying him..

They can move on from him in 2021..

• Thank you (+1) 1

Unfortunately, Ford was not the answer to "which WR will Beane draft in the 2nd round of the 2019 draft?".

Between AJ Brown, Mecole Hardman and DK Metcalf, they had 2500 yards, 136 catches and 21 TDs.  Hardman and Brown were both over 20 yards per catch!

Meanwhile the Bills are trying to figure out where on the O-line to hide their 2nd round T pick...

No I don't think the Beaner is that stupid.  If they don't hit free agency and the draft for offensive linemen then they don't know anything about football.  But they did mention the games are won in the trenches and they said they want to make the O line and D line stronger.  So that's a good sign.  Sounds like they are going to add linemen.  This offensive line is barely better than the one two years ago but that line doesn't set the bar very high.  I'm not a paid GM or scout but even I can see they need a right tackle and a left guard.  They need two O lineman.  If they don't improve the O line you can forget about next season.  Josh won't improve anymore behind that weak line.  Or if they can get one top lineman and a top tight end in free agency along with Amari Cooper.     Get me Cooper, a top tight end, and  the top guard in free agency and I'll be happy.  Then they can use their first round draft pick on an edge rusher.  2nd on a corner and the third on a either another offensive lineman or a wide receiver. Then maybe pick up a depth running back.  Man, they need a lot if they want to try and compete with the Chiefs. 

Edited by studmuffin4046

On 2/9/2020 at 10:17 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

I've given McBeane a lot of credit for pivoting on some very  bad decisions.

That's why I say "probably".

Your perspective might be a little cloudy on those 3 instances you listed. 

They traded(not cut) McCarron to keep the author of the worst QB'd half of football in modern NFL history in Nate Peterman. 

Coincidentally starting Peterman the year before had turned into a publicly embarrassing situation...........earning them league-wide scorn.

That was a clear and totally unnecessary and ill-advised "double down" on a player.   

FORCED.

And cutting Benjamin late in the season when he should have been cut two months earlier for his complete lack of effort was not an instance of pro-activism to take pride in...........that had the feel of loading the moving trucks in the middle of the night.

So while they have pivoted quickly on some bad decisions..........some other more personally invested ones maybe not so well.

I'd put Cody Ford's situation in the personally embarrassing group because of his costly mistakes in the WC game(while Metcalf was setting a rookie receiving record for yardage by a WR that same weekend).      Ford isn't just any pick their lust for him was documented.

.. okay it was his first season, though and his mistake in the WC wasnt the only embarassing mistake of the day.

Look, we can have a realistic discussion about how fords career played out once hes been afforded the opportunity to have one. Your acting like metcalf has accomplished it all and ford is already a bust.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:23 AM, Shaw66 said:

This true about the Oline, and it's a commentary about how bade the 2018 oline was, because 2019 was a serious improvement over 2018.   

in 2019 there were four new starters and a new offensive line coach.  

Between the draft, free agency, a second year of this unit together, there certainly ought to be improvement again in 2020.

Agreed, I like the chances for improvement this year.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:23 AM, Shaw66 said:

I agree with this.  Whether Ford will be the RT will depend on wherhw McBeane like his intelligence, work ethic and attitude. He clearly has the physical ability to play the position, and rookie linemen often struggle.  

Bills certainly will upgrade the oline.  Who they get will determine whether Ford will move to guard.  

It sure didn't look anywhere near as clear to me as it does to you that he has the physical ability. Looked to me clear that he had the toughness to run-block and handle the bull-rush, but very unclear whether he had the ability in foot-speed to kick-slide well enough to stay with good speed rushers on the edge. Looked very questionable to me, though maybe there's something they can teach him that will get him to show improvement.

Edited by Thurman#1

Honestly they should be looking at getting the best OL they can in the draft.  RT is still unsettled, C - Morse is a concussion away from hanging it up, LT - Dawkins' contract may be something the Bills and his agent don't see eye to eye on.  I thought there was a lot of improvement on the OL last year, but you can see that it is a bridge group and not necessarily what they think they will be riding with for the long-term.  If Becton is there at 22 - you have to take him IMO.  The draft isn't particularly deep at OT and Becton is that physical specimen with tremendous size and speed that could be another part of a solid young foundation with Dawkins and Ford.  They could move Ford inside, Becton at RT to get acclimated to the pro game and go with Morse and Feliciano.  I also think if they have a C/G that they think can eventually take over for Morse that would be a wise pick as well.

I'm a big believer in getting the line shored up if you want the Offense to be dominant - especially when the wind is blowing 50 mph gusts with sideways rain at the Ralph and you just need to be dominant on the ground (hello Eagles game).  It also provides time for Josh and whatever new skill position players the Bills acquire to have the best opportunity to succeed. 

The WR class is so deep that you take them when you have the chance.  I think the Edge rushers at the top of the class are a little overvalued and I see some names that could be a lot better lower in the draft projections, but all come with some question marks (Zuniga from UF would probably have been a 1st or 2nd rounder if he could have stayed healthy enough to play more - I've seen him in the 5th or 6th round - but his per play stats are really good).  I think that this is not a strong defensive draft - I see Chase Young as a consensus 2nd pick of the entire draft and I just don't really understand it - yes he is physically impressive, but watching games I don't see the type of play that says he is going to be a beast in the NFL.  He'll be decent for sure, but not dominant - he is a boom or bust playmaker that uses his speed to get around the edge, but doesn't play the run very well - good Tackles in the NFL will have tools to deal with him.  I'd design RPOs that if you opt to run goes right at him because he'll go wide and he doesn't get off blocks on run plays.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:58 AM, njbuff said:

He did have bad plays that really stuck out and he had some good plays.

That's life as an NFL rookie as an OT.

Go into the minds of McBeane and ask the question........................

What do they think Cody Ford can be at RT?

To me the RT position as been the worst position on the roster since freaking Brad Butler retired and if you have a bad RT, you see how it can cripple an offense.

What do you think?

Brother, Bagel form this Board and I have talked about this on more than one occasion.

Bills fans please don't forget this guy through the sands of time.  I respect his decision to retire, but at the time he really was a stabilizing force on that line and was greatly missed.

Much more than just a JAG.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1