Do you think McBeane see Cody Ford as the answer at RT moving forward?

njbuff

He did have bad plays that really stuck out and he had some good plays.

That's life as an NFL rookie as an OT.

Go into the minds of McBeane and ask the question........................

What do they think Cody Ford can be at RT?

To me the RT position as been the worst position on the roster since freaking Brad Butler retired and if you have a bad RT, you see how it can cripple an offense.

What do you think?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, njbuff said:

He did have bad plays that really stuck out and he had some good plays.

That's life as an NFL rookie as an OT.

Go into the minds of McBeane and ask the question........................

What do they think Cody Ford can be at RT?

To me the RT position as been the worst position on the roster since freaking Brad Butler retired and if you have a bad RT, you see how it can cripple an offense.

What do you think?

I think we'll get our first glance at an answer in about 5 weeks.

-If they go hard at Conklin in FA, the answer is "no", expect to see Ford at guard

-If they offer LaAdrian Waddle another contract or sign a similar "Backup who has started and done OK" FA, the answer is "perhaps" - they want to hedge their bets with Nsekhe/someone else who can trade off to help him manage injuries to compete in camp

-No moves = they expect Ford to take a step

I will be disappointed with that last - Ford MAY take a step in his 2nd year, but as you say, RT is too important to count on that happening.

• Like (+1) 6

16 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well, there is the argument he was a rookie, but then again he would probably shine more at one fo the two guard positions.  You do that, and Feliciano is staying so maybe they move into Spain’s spot.  Not that is my interest, as I like Spain, but then as you’ve said RT is the question.

Huh?

• Haha (+1) 3

Our O line is not good enough, period. We added some mature players last year that boosted the performance but I think Beaney would want a further boost with another starter, likely a rookie draft choice. How much better would our O perform if Spain and Feliciano were not starters. If Ford moves to guard because a better rookie takes over that would be incredible.

So the short answer is....yes Beaney will consider moving Ford if the right draft choice is their in 2 or 3rd round. He will not over pay for a FA to replace Ford, IMHO. But Ford will start.

• Like (+1) 3

Since Ford seems to be a better fit physically as an NFL guard than as a RT,  I'd prefer the Bills move him to RG and add another RT. It's pretty common for collegiate OTs to be moved to OG in the pros because the NFL game is much more specialized.   A great/good OG is much more effective than a mediocre OT.

• Like (+1) 5

34 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Since Ford seems to be a better fit physically as an NFL guard than as a RT,  I'd prefer the Bills move him to RG and add another RT. It's pretty common for collegiate OTs to be moved to OG in the pros because the NFL game is much more specialized.   A great/good OG is much more effective than a mediocre OT.

So I had this discussion with someone in another thread. 

Ford has never played RG.

He played LG his first years in college, only played RT his Sr year before he came out.

So the smart move, if they want to try him at guard, would be to move Ford to LG.  Since Spain at LG is a FA, offer him according to how we see his value and let him see what the rest of the league thinks.  Leave Feliciano at RG where he played very well and make a move at RT.  I thought Nsekhe was decent, but apparently we're worried about durability and can't expect him to hold up through 16 games.

38 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Our O line is not good enough, period. We added some mature players last year that boosted the performance but I think Beaney would want a further boost with another starter, likely a rookie draft choice. How much better would our O perform if Spain and Feliciano were not starters. If Ford moves to guard because a better rookie takes over that would be incredible.

So the short answer is....yes Beaney will consider moving Ford if the right draft choice is their in 2 or 3rd round. He will not over pay for a FA to replace Ford, IMHO. But Ford will start.

We have too many upgrades needed to draft them all in the 1st 3 rounds, and I don't think we should count on a 3rd round rookie to walk in the door and upgrade the OL.

I think Beane should make a move for a starter-quality FA OL and that probably means overpaying because that's whatcha do in FA.

I like Mongo. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I had this discussion with someone in another thread. 

Ford has never played RG.

He played LG his first years in college, only played RT his Sr year before he came out.

So the smart move, if they want to try him at guard, would be to move Ford to LG.  Since Spain at LG is a FA, offer him according to how we see his value and let him see what the rest of the league thinks.  Leave Feliciano at RG where he played very well and make a move at RT.  I thought Nsekhe was decent, but apparently we're worried about durability and can't expect him to hold up through 16 games.

We have too many upgrades needed to draft them all in the 1st 3 rounds, and I don't think we should count on a 3rd round rookie to walk in the door and upgrade the OL.

I think Beane should move on a starter-quality FA OL and that probably means overpaying because that's whatcha do in FA.

I like Mongo. 

I agree.  I think OL needs an upgrade immediately, only slightly behind WR and RB.  They might find a proverbial "diamond in the rough" for the OL in the draft but it might take him 2 or 3 years to become a good NFL starter.   The Bills need better protection for Allen in 2020.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I agree.  I think OL needs an upgrade immediately, only slightly behind WR and RB.  They might find a proverbial "diamond in the rough" for the OL in the draft but it might take him 2 or 3 years to become a good NFL starter.   The Bills need better protection for Allen in 2020.

Agreed, one upgrade for the Oline, in FA or the draft, would be a big help. Where? I'm not sure. It seems we goof flexibility with the people we have now, so I guess the answer is upgrade where you can, and shuffle the other pieces with present players as needed.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think they know he is the "answer"  but I think they think he can be, if that makes sense.  Last year was only his second year at tackle, he was a guard until his senior year.  Still learning to play tackle AND then adjusting to the NFL was a daunting task.  I saw enough improvement that he will get time.  If something great falls into the Bills lap it may change the equation, but even good tackles are hard to find.  I think he ends up being a solid RT.

Dawkins worries me more.  He's good enough to be an LT, but not really good enough yet.  Tough position and a great guy, but he really needs to take another step up if it is to be his position long term.  But finding a LT that is really good is so hard.

• Like (+1) 2

What is the difference in value between a starting guard verses a right tackle?

i would think the Bills give Ford another year at right tackle. The only exception I could see is if they can’t sign anyone to play left guard and they have a tackle prospect fall to them in the mid rounds of the draft that they had a higher value on. 

I for one would like the staff to pick a spot for Ford and allow him to focus on it, this could only facilitate his progress.  I think Ford has shown he can play guard or tackle if needed during a game, flexibility value.

• Like (+1) 1

Depends on free agency , can they re-sign Spain , can they bring in a good RT .  

May have to address OL  high in draft  

I would be ok with Ford and Nsekhe  at RT  and re-sign Spain at LG

The OL takes more then one season to gel especially Ford was a rookie

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Feliciano was pretty good. He'll be a starter next year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m not one to give up on a rookie after one season. I’ll ride with the coaching staff on this one. If the offensive staff has seen enough to think he can man that spot, so be it. If they think he’s better at guard, so be it. ??‍♂️

• Like (+1) 4

You can get to and win a SB and have a dynamic offense without a good RT.

It's not an island position........you can often give strong side help in the form of a TE.

I do think they want Ford to play RT and will probably force the issue...........Beane put all his cards on the table on day 2 of the draft with that "Bills Embedded" show where he was totally fixated on Ford as an OT.................so he'd look dumb passing on Metcalf and then moving Ford to guard.    

• Like (+1) 1

I fully expect Beane to address Oline this off-season based on his post season presser.  At a minimum, Ford will have competition at RT beyond Nyseke.  Perhaps Ford goes straight to LG.  I also expect Bills to draft an Oline guy who can play T and G.

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's not an island position........you can often give strong side help in the form of a TE.

I do think they want Ford to play RT and will probably force the issue...........Beane put all his cards on the table on day 2 of the draft with that "Bills Embedded" show where he was totally fixated on Ford as an OT.................so he'd look dumb passing on Metcalf and then moving Ford to guard.    

TBH one of the most hopeful traits I see in Beane is that he doesn't seem to GAF if people think he looks dumb. 

"he'll look dumb if we pass up all these other FA QB and then Beane cuts McCarron before the season" <------------*snip*

"he'll look dumb if we have to sign two additional QB midway through the season" <---------------- "your autograph please, Mr Anderson and Mr Barkley"

"he'll look dumb if he cuts Kelvin Benjamin after having traded for him and traded away Sammy Watkins" <---------------*snip*

As you may have read before, I am far from exculpatory of Beane for his mistakes on offensive player personnel (of which I feel he's made many) but I think his track record shows he is willing to acknowledge a fault and does not care who thinks he looks dumb, if the player shows can't cut the mustard after a fair trial, he will move on and even be ruthless about it.

While in theory I suppose you're correct about TE help, unless he takes a step, Ford is NOT the guy who can play RT in Daboll's offense.  There were too many plays we muffed because the RG and RT *literally* tripped over each other's feet and I'm fairly certain that was on Ford.

• Like (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is what I’m thinking too.

It almost seemed Beane was every bit as happy getting Ford as he was to Oliver.

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don’t think so. OL was a big need and getting a plug and play olineman is considered a good thing by most. If he gets moved to guard and becomes a pro bowl level talent it’s even better. WR is an unaffordable luxury with a young QB and the worst Oline in the league; ref. OBJ in Cleveland. It’s not like Ford was a total whiff like Kujo. 

• Like (+1) 2