Expect the unexpected with Beane this year, he has a lot of resources this year.

Tipster19

This year Beane has a lot at his disposal to take some calculated shots/risks this upcoming year. With 90+M to spend, more than just having a good core of a roster to add to but also utilizing that cap space to his advantage in potential trade(s). No doubt, Beane has an awful lot to work with this year. Off the top of my head I think that only the Colts have more clout this year than any other team in the league.

Different scenarios/possibilities that could be work is a Houston/Cleveland type trade. Bottom line is Arizona is pretty much stuck with a player that they don’t to pay or use in RB David Johnson. Beane can afford to take on most of that contract and possibly gain a value draft pick, maybe a 4th rder for Johnson. Unless Johnson has a debilitating knee injury that isn’t being fully disclosed than I don’t believe that this one time blue chip has fallen that much off the map. In taking on Johnson the Bills will be gaining a very good to great veteran RB while gaining a great draft pick by simply using that excessive resource in cap space. On top of that they don’t have to use a draft pick to add to their RB position room.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/08/david-johnsons-contract-makes-it-very-hard-to-release-him/

I can’t stand him but there is no denying his work ethic and ability in WR Antonio Brown. Could this be the perfect timing to adding him to the roster? It appears that he has  no where to go and Buffalo surely needs the talent at WR that Brown possesses. Construct a 1 year prove it type contract with an easy out and this has the potential of being a blockbuster type acquisition for the Bills.

As far as TE Greg Olsen goes give him a great tour first hand and show him exactly what we got going on over here in Buffalo. Then give him whatever he wants on a stackable 2 year deal, he’ll be worth every penny of it. 

If Andy Dalton doesn’t stay in Cincinnati and doesn’t get a starter’s job then I would seriously would give thought to adding him in an open competition to really lighting a fire under Allen’s ass. Nobody on this roster should be comfortable until this franchise can compete at the a very high level. 

I would think that the LB and DE positions this year should be a big time priority for the Bills. How they address I don’t know but I do expect it.

It’s good to hear some recent progress on Christian Wade. I do believe the Bilks retained him so they can utilize him sooner rather than later.

anyways I think this year is going to be a great, great acceleration for this franchise. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

This year Beane has a lot at his disposal to take some calculated shots/risks this upcoming year. With 90+M to spend, more than just having a good core of a roster to add to but also utilizing that cap space to his advantage in potential trade(s). No doubt, Beane has an awful lot to work with this year. Off the top of my head I think that only the Colts have more clout this year than any other team in the league.

Different scenarios/possibilities that could be work is a Houston/Cleveland type trade. Bottom line is Arizona is pretty much stuck with a player that they don’t to pay or use in RB David Johnson. Beane can afford to take on most of that contract and possibly gain a value draft pick, maybe a 4th rder for Johnson. Unless Johnson has a debilitating knee injury that isn’t being fully disclosed than I don’t believe that this one time blue chip has fallen that much off the map. In taking on Johnson the Bills will be gaining a very good to great veteran RB while gaining a great draft pick by simply using that excessive resource in cap space. On top of that they don’t have to use a draft pick to add to their RB position room.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/08/david-johnsons-contract-makes-it-very-hard-to-release-him/

I can’t stand him but there is no denying his work ethic and ability in WR Antonio Brown. Could this be the perfect timing to adding him to the roster? It appears that he has  no where to go and Buffalo surely needs the talent at WR that Brown possesses. Construct a 1 year prove it type contract with an easy out and this has the potential of being a blockbuster type acquisition for the Bills.

As far as TE Greg Olsen goes give him a great tour first hand and show him exactly what we got going on over here in Buffalo. Then give him whatever he wants on a stackable 2 year deal, he’ll be worth every penny of it. 

If Andy Dalton doesn’t stay in Cincinnati and doesn’t get a starter’s job then I would seriously would give thought to adding him in an open competition to really lighting a fire under Allen’s ass. Nobody on this roster should be comfortable until this franchise can compete at the a very high level. 

I would think that the LB and DE positions this year should be a big time priority for the Bills. How they address I don’t know but I do expect it.

It’s good to hear some recent progress on Christian Wade. I do believe the Bilks retained him so they can utilize him sooner rather than later.

anyways I think this year is going to be a great, great acceleration for this franchise. Go Bills!

I would like Dalton here but he is not coming and we don’t need a QB controversy. Get a good vet backup and draft someone in the later rounds like 6th or 7th, Dalton would want too much money and he won’t be a back up to anyone 

• Like (+1) 1

You completely lost me at the Antonio Brown thing, and an open QB competition.  Everything else you say in this post is irrelevant to me. 

Oh. and give Greg Olsen whatever he wants? Pass.

Edited by Markaf431
  • Like (+1) 8

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

If Andy Dalton doesn’t stay in Cincinnati and doesn’t get a starter’s job then I would seriously would give thought to adding him in an open competition to really lighting a fire under Allen’s ass. 

For all his faults. The one thing I won't question with Allen is his drive and desire to win. Its as obvious as any player in the league. 

Which makes that move pointless. It wouldn't motivate him any more than he already is

Edited by Mountain Man
  • Like (+1) 1

Maybe he wasn’t a 100% but Johnson looked done last year , not sure what happened to him. Bills are gonna need that cap space soon and shouldn’t be wasting it.

Ab is a terrible idea in almost every aspect.

Dalton is gonna want to go somewhere to compete for the starting job, that won’t be here.

Olsen would be the only one I would think about 

• Like (+1) 5

I’m unclear on these choices.  No on AB, D. Johnson ( love the guy and followed his career, but he has become injury prone and we can easily get a RB in the draft ), Dalton, and only Olsen if his requests are reasonable for his age.  I would take a run at Hooper from ATL.  The rest of our needs can be addressed in the draft, and you extend people we want to keep like Spain.  Keeping an O Line together will only serve as a positive, as sometimes it takes a year for the line to work well as a unit.

They have to be smart in their spending, extend the ones we want at that price, only get a targeted maybe two targets and drop the ones on our team like Kroft, Sweeney, and Smith.  I seriously doubt we give extensions to Lawson and J. Phillips as they are not worth what they will be trying to get in the market.  Now, if everyone passes on these two, and they are willing expect reasonable contracts, then sure extend them.  J. Phillips will want more than 6 mil. ( his perspective worth from the Spotrac guys ).

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Brown doesn't want to come here, and we don't want him.  Still.

Yeah, I think Brown has passed the point of  "crazy" where coaches want to try to work with him.  A GM who signs Brown runs a very real risk of being made to look like an absolute fool publicly in several different ways.

5 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Beane addressed QB in his post-season presser/radio tours.

He said that adding a QB (as Tennessee did with Tannehill) is something you do when you have serious doubts that your QB is the guy.  He's still at "I don't think there's a hurdle Josh Allen can't overcome" for this upcoming season.

That doesn't mean they won't try to upgrade backup QB, but they're not going to bring in a guy who believes he can still start or have an "open competition" this season.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I would be surprised if Brandon Beane uses more then 60% of available cap. He clearly builds his team through the draft + sign his own players

Im sorry, I forget in the previous post Beane isn’t dumb and knows he’ll need breathing room for the next two years to cover White next year as he’ll demand probably $17-18 mil.  Even if we save some cap and tag Allen after his rookie contract that does two things; first Allen we have then 5 years to evaluate if he’s our guy ( I think he could be ), and we have more a time to stockpile cash for these two.  Just look at Winston in Tampa, and Mariotta in TN, and if Arians had any other options, he would cut Winston, and Marriotta already lost his starting job.

My apologizes, as I’m not a rookie to this board and should have placed everything in one post.  Sorry guys.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think @HOUSE meant more than 60% of the cap space we currently have free and available.

The penalty applies to the total cap AFAIK

Yeah, makes sense. I think it's 80 something percent of total. 

With the CBA negotiation. I can see front loading contracts for the likes of Dawkins and Milano to give flexibility in the future 

• Like (+1) 2

Gore was a leadership signing but paying top dollar for a past his prime RB is fools gold. I still think we're too shallow at too many spots to go out and write checks and operate in Win Now mode. We need targets for Josh and replacements for Lorenzo and Gore.  

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

I would be surprised if Brandon Beane uses more then 60% of available cap. He clearly builds his team through the draft + sign his own players

....and it looks like he crafts his FA deals with a decent way out if necessary......don't see "cap jail" in his future..................

8 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

this sounds a lot more like a Whaley/Ryan we won the off-season than McBeane

• Like (+1) 1