Jags 2 steps closer to London move

Zerovoltz

5 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

But would Cincy be willing to flip

Moving the Bills to AFC North kicks one team out of the North

Pittsburgh and Cleveland want to keep their rivalry

Pittsburgh and Baltimore want to keep their rivalry

Cleveland and Cincinnati want to keep their rivalry

Do you break the Pittsburgh/Baltimore(former Browns) rivalry?

Do you break the Pittsburgh/Cleveland rivalry?

Do you break the Cincy/Cleveland Ohio rivalry?

Do you break the New Browns/Old Browns (Ravens) rivalry?

Some rivals would be moved out of their division and some new ones would develop.  But I don’t think that’s a big deal.  The only real rivalry in the AFCN is Baltimore and Pittsburgh.  The Patriots have dominated the AFCE for so long I don’t see a real rivalry at this time.  By getting more divisions populated by geographically close teams we would see more rivalries develop.  We’d also see fans travel to more games in other divisional cities.  That would help sell out and fill stadiums more often since fans would have easier access.  Fans of teams doing well would more easily fill the stadiums of divisional opponents that weren’t. 

23 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Steelers and Browns fans may disagree

Browns fans (I am also one as I was born and raised in Cleveland) probably would call the Steelers their rival, but the Steelers fans would probably disagree.  The Browns haven’t been competitive with the Steelers in forever so it’s faded from the Steelers end.  I’ve heard many say that the “real Browns are in Baltimore” and that’s their real rival.

Historical rivalries have value, but new rivalries will take hold when two divisional teams are fighting it out for the title regularly.

On a personal note, I’d like the Bills to develop a strong rivalry with another team.  The rivalry with the Dolphins has always seemed pretty weak to me.  Growing up I remember what it used to be like with the Browns and Steelers.  I’d like that same intensity for the Bills’ rivalry too. 

On 2/8/2020 at 3:28 PM, Zerovoltz said:

....so the Jags are playing 2 home games in London this year.  It's just the next step in them becoming the "London" Jags permanently. 

The reason why I posted it has more to do with Buffalo than London.  I saw somewhere on the internet that when/if the Jags do make the move permanently, there will be some realignment.  The NFL won't want the London Jags in the AFC south.  They will want them in the AFC east with flights to/from London out of Boston, New York and Miami.  The alignment I saw suggested that the AFC EAST would be :

London

New York

New England

Miami

AFC SOUTH

Tennessee

Houston

Indy

Cincinnati

AFC NORTH

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Baltimore

BUFFALO.

Would Bills fans accept it?  Would your new and closer division rivals be compelling, or would it be crap that you lose the Patirots/Jets/Dolphins as division rivals?

I can't help but think IF (I said IF...the word IF) IF it came to it....the owners would probably be able to make this happen.  I don't think Mike Brown has any kind of clout to stop it....and would think the if the Pegulas protested, they might not have any allies to prevent this.

Your thoughts?

I have wanted a rust belt division for a while and it was proposed a number of years ago but Ralph shot it down.

But I believe Miami goes to AFC South.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:41 PM, /dev/null said:

Instead of putting a team in London full time, the NFL should use the proposed 17th game as a Nomad series

Each team gets the traditional 8 home and 8 road games.  But each team also is bound for a 17th game at a non-NFL venue.  London, Berlin, Toronto, Tokyo, Sidney, Mexico City, or even American cities without a team (San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City).

Don't forget Portland.  Quality of fans of NFL is low and maybe a yearly game there would hopefully raise quality.

On 2/9/2020 at 5:14 AM, GunnerBill said:

The 2 game thing is a significant step forward. I have long thought that a team shared 50/50 between the east coast and London is a more realistic and immediate aim than a fully London based team. I think that is where the NFL is trying to go for the medium term.

It certainly is for training camp and preseason.  40 less players and certainly a lot easier to swap out players when cut from other teams.  They could still have staff in England reviewing players from the tiny continent.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

My point was the player's union may make this a point of contention (not willing to accept overseas move or expansion) in the upcoming negotiations.  It's already been raised as a potential roadblock and playing in London not popular with players. 

"It would be a significant change in the working conditions in one of our teams, so that would require agreement with our players' union," Waller said.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25124631/how-close-london-getting-nfl-franchise

Whenever NFLPA states "significant change" they are saying "either concession on other issues we want or higher percentage of revenue".

When I'm deciding which London game to go to each year (I always do just one) my thought process is:

1. Are the Bills playing? If no, go to 2.

2. Scratch any game with the Jags in it (go to 3)

3. Have you not seen any of the other teams play? If so choose a game with a team you've not seen play yet. 

15 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Browns fans (I am also one as I was born and raised in Cleveland) probably would call the Steelers their rival, but the Steelers fans would probably disagree.  The Browns haven’t been competitive with the Steelers in forever so it’s faded from the Steelers end.  I’ve heard many say that the “real Browns are in Baltimore” and that’s their real rival.

I grew up in Erie, PA and saw the rivalry from both sides.  The Pittsburgh/Cleveland rivalry transcends sports, its kind of a sibling rivalry

I remember a few years ago watching This Week With Snuffleufflugus.  It was the week when LeBron had re-signed with the Cavaliers and Cleveland was named the host of the 2016 Republican convention.  Snuffleufflugus round table that week included former PA Senator Rick Santorum.  Snuffleufflgus had commented on the good week for his hometown of Cleveland.  Santorum, a Pittsburgh native, agreed and made one of the better Cleveland/Pittsburgh observations:

Cleveland is like Pittsburgh's kid brother.  It's always fun to beat them up but you're still happy to see them do well

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I grew up in Erie, PA and saw the rivalry from both sides.  The Pittsburgh/Cleveland rivalry transcends sports, its kind of a sibling rivalry

I remember a few years ago watching This Week With Snuffleufflugus.  It was the week when LeBron had re-signed with the Cavaliers and Cleveland was named the host of the 2016 Republican convention.  Snuffleufflugus round table that week included former PA Senator Rick Santorum.  Snuffleufflgus had commented on the good week for his hometown of Cleveland.  Santorum, a Pittsburgh native, agreed and made one of the better Cleveland/Pittsburgh observations:

Cleveland is like Pittsburgh's kid brother.  It's always fun to beat them up but you're still happy to see them do well

I agree with all of that, but it speaks to my point.  If the Browns become more competitive with the Steelers I believe the rivalry will come back fully.  But at this moment it doesn’t seem to be what it used to be.

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Probably not but by them moving the chargers that would be there way of admitting their mistake without coming out and saying that it was a mistake on their end with moving the chargers to LA

Why do people keep saying this?

The NFL didn't "move the Chargers"---their owner did after the San Diego wouldn't build him a replacement for Qualcom.  Then Kroenke announced he was building a new stadium in LA and moving the Rams there, Spanos jumped in with the same claim.  The Raiders wanted to go there too.  SD voted down a new stadium, the owners gave Kroenke the overwhelming thumbs up to move to LA and soon after, Spanos agreed to a deal with the Rams to partner in the LA stadium.  Raiders got Vegas.

• Like (+1) 2